Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New England Patriots v Atlanta Falcons ****Official Super Bowl Thread***

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I understand that impacted Superbowl 49. The question was how they cheated their way to superbowl 51 though

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How exactly did they cheat to get there? Looking forward to this, gonna be a ripper of a nonsensical explanation.

SB 51: Patriots cheated how? 3-2-1 GO

Doesn't matter if he did or didn't cheat in SB51 he did cheat to get his team to SB49 and because of that his career is tainted and he cannot therefore be the best QB in history.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Doesn't matter if he did or didn't cheat in SB51 he did cheat to get his team to SB49 and because of that his career is tainted and he cannot therefore be the best QB in history.

Ah no, that has well and truly been scientifically debunked. You're not seriously going to defend Goodell and that farce of a Wells report against scientists are you? Even the Federal Judge mocked the Wells Report and Goodell.

Gonna go with the science and the law with this one. Not some unsupported bias.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Falcons threw this away, should have made sure they got a field goal when leading by 8. Had to Punt and the rest is history!

Yep, they lost it right there. Just had to stay in field goal range but one poor play call and that gave the Pats the chance...never give them a chance because they'll take it. I dislike Brady and the Pats but full credit to them. Would've liked to see White get MVP, but guess it was always gonna be Brady with those numbers.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just watched overtime. Got to the end of regular time at 28-28 (amazing comeback) and just couldn't stay awake anymore.

Avoided all news on the result this morning but it seemed inevitable that the Patriots would win this as the momentum was with them.

It seems wrong that it was decided on the toss of a coin. As they say though "them's the rules."

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I dislike the Patriots, and was very disappointed with this result, but to achieve what they've achieved in the salary cap and free agency era is unbelievable. Much as I'd like to, I can't get worked up about Deflategate. Afraid I just have to - begrudgingly - take my hat off to them.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Successfully predicted the fake kneel before it happened. That's the most Patriots thing I have ever seen. Take a play where there is an unwritten agreement not to play it out (to avoid injuries: see the fuss regarding Tampa a few years ago) and take advantage of that. If they had won with that play I can just picture Brady telling the Falcons to go read the rules.

If a side is in victory formation, that means you don't rush. Taking advantage of that is a sh*tty, sh*tty move.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Apart from the ball tampering and spying on the opposition?

You really have no idea what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating anti-Pats crap like the rest of the clueless masses.

I notice you haven't said anything about Atlanta cheating. A team that's cheated more than NE.

Here's a whole site dedicated to NFL teams cheating. http://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/

Funny how New England comes in way down in 17th.

http://yourteamcheats.com/what-is-deflategate

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
You really have no idea what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating anti-Pats crap like the rest of the clueless masses.

I notice you haven't said anything about Atlanta cheating. A team that's cheated more than NE.

Here's a whole site dedicated to NFL teams cheating. http://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/

Funny how New England comes in way down in 17th.

http://yourteamcheats.com/what-is-deflategate

Sorry but that website is a load of crap. It's written by a Patriots fan and is about the least impartial thing I've ever seen: "Spygate was:

10% about where they were filming from
90% about Belichick stupidly thumbing his nose at Goodell's new rule, and
0% about what was being filmed"

Yeah that's completely objective then isn't it!
But anyway, onto the reasons why the website is actually incorrect in its conclusions:

1) Inconsistency: take this quote from the Peyton Manning's (alledged) PED taking. "Normally PED infractions are penalized at 1.0 cheatpoints each, but since Peyton has not been cooperative in this ongoing investigation (to date he has refused to turn over his cell phone and those of his wife and team medical staff) he has been hit with treble damages." So not co-operating with an investigation is worth 2 points? Brady meanwhile has received 0 points for the same infracture for Deflategate. Whether you believe he deflated footballs or not, he too did not cooperate with the NFL.

2) Requirement of intent for something to be cheating. There are several cases throughout the list of so-called "cheats" which are not in fact cheating. They are where teams have broken the rules without intentionally doing so. For example the Baltimore Ravens "practice-gate" where they misunderstood a complicated ruling regarding practices and wore pads for an OTA practice. They were punished for doing so, and the NFL were correct in punishing them, but it was not cheating.

3) Alledged offences treated as though they've had a full trial and given punishment accordingly. Aplogies if I don't agree with this New Englander's definition of more probably that not. For example Tampa Bay's "tankgate". Yes they did not play some starters at the end, but important players are often rested at the end of the season so that teams can try out their younger guys. Possibly some limited form of tanking? Yes. Worthy of 5 points. No.

4)Ok I finally get to it: deflating footballs. The Packers get +3 for Rodgers over inflating footballs?! This is not cheating if it's before the refs check it. The refs check all the balls and if they ok them, then they are allowed to be used in the game. This is completely different from what the Patriots were accused of, which is taking air out AFTER they had been checked by officials.

5)Formationgate. None of the Patriots fans seem to understand the problem with what the Patriots did: it wasn't illegal but it was very underhand. When teams are going to play an unconvensional formation, they will typically tell the referees in advance that this is a possibility (before the game). This is because they are trying to trick the other team rather than the referees. However the problem with formationgate was because the referees were confused. The rules state that the referees should give the defense "adequate time" to match the offensive formation. The referees however were confused by what the Patriots were doing and so didn't do so (this also caused Harbaugh to give up a 15 yard penalty for telling the referees this) . The referees even admitted to John Harbaugh later in the game that they should have given the Ravens more time to line-up and if the play was run again they would do so. Surprisingly after that point, the Patriots didn't run the play again! The problem wasn't that the Patriots ran the play: it's a legitimate play (this is for some reason what Patriots fans get hung up on and isn't the objection), but they could have and should have told the referees in advance. They didn't break the rules explicitly, but they broke from accepted procedure in order to take advantage of the referees.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sorry but that website is a load of crap.It's written by a Patriots fan and is about the least impartial thing I've ever seen: "Spygate was:

10% about where they were filming from
90% about Belichick stupidly thumbing his nose at Goodell's new rule, and
0% about what was being filmed"

Yeah that's completely objective then isn't it!

Anyone who still thinks Deflategate was ever a real thing has zero objectivity. So it's the pot calling the kettle black. That's the point, anyone can produce nonobjective crap like that site and like the opinions of those who think deflategate actually happened.

The last two teams Patriots have beaten in Superbowls have histories of cheating too. Nobody says anything about Atlanta piping in crowd noise or the Seahawks being a PED haven.

But anyway, onto the reasons why the website is actually incorrect in its conclusions:

1) Inconsistency: take this quote from the Peyton Manning's (alledged) PED taking. "Normally PED infractions are penalized at 1.0 cheatpoints each, but since Peyton has not been cooperative in this ongoing investigation (to date he has refused to turn over his cell phone and those of his wife and team medical staff) he has been hit with treble damages." So not co-operating with an investigation is worth 2 points? Brady meanwhile has received 0 points for the same infracture for Deflategate. Whether you believe he deflated footballs or not, he too did not cooperate with the NFL.

You're comparing two situations that are nothing alike in severity.

Do you know why they wouldn't hand the phone over? Was it because the NFL had already leaked complete and utter lies and misinformation about the case to ESPN? I think it was...

Why would Brady trust the NFL to keep his private information just that when they'd already proven you can't trust Goodell and the NFL to leak information.

Emails between the general counsel for the New England Patriots and Jeff Pash, the general counsel for the NFL, show that leaks about the deflated footballs in the 2014 AFC Championship Game to Walt Disney DIS -0.66%-owned ESPN were chocked full of misinformation, yet the NFL refused to acknowledge it. The emails were released on the Wells Report Context blog.

Let that sink in.

4)Ok I finally get to it: deflating footballs. The Packers get +3 for Rodgers over inflating footballs?! This is not cheating if it's before the refs check it. The refs check all the balls and if they ok them, then they are allowed to be used in the game. This is completely different from what the Patriots were accused of, which is taking air out AFTER they had been checked by officials.

And Science debunked deflategate while at the same time proving what a deceitful crook Goodell and his cronies are.

You spent way too much time worrying about irrelevant thing from other teams and zero on refuting deflategate. Maybe you can put as much effort into recognising there was no foul play against the Colts and it was science at play, not cheating.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
You spent way too much time worrying about irrelevant thing from other teams and zero on refuting deflategate. Maybe you can put as much effort into recognising there was no foul play against the Colts and it was science at play, not cheating.

You cited a website as though it was objective, claiming that the Patriots are the 17th biggest cheaters in the league. I was pointing out that it this is obviously crap.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You cited a website as though it was objective, claiming that the Patriots are the 17th biggest cheaters in the league. I was pointing out that it this is obviously crap.

That's to point out how any kind of crap can justify a false opinion. I really don't care about other teams and what they do. Most of it comes from nothing more than jealousy.

Almost all fans who throw the Patriots are cheats line out there supports a team who has cheated themselves.

To think there's still people out there who think their opinion on deflategate outweighs that of the scientific and law community.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
That's to point out how any kind of crap can justify a false opinion.

What? How does that even make sense? You post an article that you know is crap and in doing so that helps your case? Am genuinely confused.

I actually don't really care about deflategate. I'm not sure either way on whether he was guilty or innocent but claims that Goodell was out to get Brady are obviously completely ridiculous. I personally think that 'formation-gate' was actually a much bigger issue and was clear evidence of the 'play to the very edge of the rules' philosophy they have in New England (which was on show again on Sunday with the fake qb kneel).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here