Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be wearing an old pair of normal runners. The off road is mainly chalk and grass footpath. Might be just a few muddy puddles you need to mince or slither through.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a quick look in Jog Shop yesterday at trail shoes. They start from £40 upwards was thinking if it's worth buying a pair for the mince pie 10 as half on road half off road.

If yes then should I get shoes that best replicate my road shoes? I very rarely run off road so have little knowledge of what's out there.

I'm normally doing the vast majority of my training and racing offroad so can lob in my advice if you want.........(running offroad much better for strength and conditioning and injury avoidance) and have tried loads of different shoes. Trail shoes are typically quite a bit cheaper than road shoes. On what to get, really depends on what you're planning on doing. The simplest answer is to get shoes that are effectively the trail version of your road shoes as some manufacturers do (so for Brooks GTS, the Cascadia are basically the same shoe for example but with some grip). If you're planning on doing long runs with most/all of it offroad on the Downs, which can be very slippery in the wet with the layer of claggy clay on hard chalk, you really need something with deeper lugs than a 'moderate' trail shoe like the cascadia has - in which case I'd go for something like an Inov8 roclite or Salomon speedcross. For value, sportsshoes.com are usually brilliant (example below) - usual caveat though of getting anything online that you haven't tried on first.........their returns policy is good though

For a half trail/half road runs I would use something like a cascadia (Saucony peregrines for me) because they are OK for the road sections. The roclites, salomons and shoes like them are full-on mud shoes really for trail runs.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...yZqiwy4CFV5uwXHLHMwP95HvrCvXrEP-L0aAu7S8P8HAQ

My race record is 5 falls in one race having foolishly worn road shoes for the Steyning Stinger marathon :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a quick look in Jog Shop yesterday at trail shoes. They start from £40 upwards was thinking if it's worth buying a pair for the mince pie 10 as half on road half off road.

If yes then should I get shoes that best replicate my road shoes? I very rarely run off road so have little knowledge of what's out there.

Have you been to Saltdean's football ground? That slimey muddy path running up to the Downs from there is probably the worst you'll get on the Mince Pie.

If I was racing my mate, I would get trail shoes. If running on [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] territory all the time, I would get them. Huffing and puffing behind you lot and I won't bother. Never had them in the Sussex Schools Cross Country runs.

I promise to post the number of falls on the day..............

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you been to Saltdean's football ground? That slimey muddy path running up to the Downs from there is probably the worst you'll get on the Mince Pie.

If I was racing my mate, I would get trail shoes. If running on [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] territory all the time, I would get them. Huffing and puffing behind you lot and I won't bother. Never had them in the Sussex Schools Cross Country runs.

I promise to post the number of falls on the day..............

LOL, that path is almost like a ROAD compared to some parts of the downs......try running down the hills skirting Worthing Golf Club or the one down from Spinghead Hill to Washington in the wet in road shoes :)

This was a trail shoe day...........

SSP_AB1_3834.JPG

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
LOL, that path is almost like a ROAD compared to some parts of the downs......try running down the hills skirting Worthing Golf Club or the one down from Spinghead Hill to Washington in the wet in road shoes :)

View attachment 70216

Isn't it cheating to have a puppet master keeping you upright with that line tied to your right hand?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

View attachment 70216

I bet it was slippery even with your trail shoes on too... pretty much impossible with running shoes I'd imagine.

As an aside, my local Parkrun is half tarmac half grass... and my quickest times have been with my trail shoes on and when its been wet underfoot.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I bet it was slippery even with your trail shoes on too... pretty much impossible with running shoes I'd imagine.

As an aside, my local Parkrun is half tarmac half grass... and my quickest times have been with my trail shoes on and when its been wet underfoot.

I did it in running shoes......yes, a colossal error !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been a long time admirer and lurker on this running thread, but finally running my first marathon in Florence this Sunday. A little nervous right now! I'm not sure what the protocol is, but there's an info page about the Zambians I'm helping here www.my.give.net/zambiacontainer

Well done on your fundraising that's a good total. Enjoy the run. Ponte Vechio and David's knob en route. Bellisimo!

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
I ran the New York marathon a couple of weeks ago for AITC think it will be my last as well!
bc92488b47bf41ce9a21c11e8bd1943a.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For the first time in a number of years I've swapped running shoes. Went to Run yesterday morning and tried a pair of Hoka one one. Had a quick run round the block they felt amazing plenty of padding/cushioning but so much lighter than my Brooks Ravenna's. I'm going out early tomorrow for a longish run, can't remember the last time I've looked forward to a training run so much.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The lighter shoes definitely felt like they made a difference today. 10 miles including 350 feet of elevation gain through Mile Oak farm then back down to Southwick before the seafront back to King Alfred. 1:08:17 average mile pace 6:50 which is my quickest ever 10 mile run despite the hills.

I've got one more run Tuesday so I'll see how the body feels then before deciding the route and distance.

Did anyone do Park Run today? Or was it specific training for the Mince Pie 10 Sunday?

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/968949771

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The lighter shoes definitely felt like they made a difference today. 10 miles including 350 feet of elevation gain through Mile Oak farm then back down to Southwick before the seafront back to King Alfred. 1:08:17 average mile pace 6:50 which is my quickest ever 10 mile run despite the hills.

I've got one more run Tuesday so I'll see how the body feels then before deciding the route and distance.

Did anyone do Park Run today? Or was it specific training for the Mince Pie 10 Sunday?

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/968949771

Did Parkrun. When [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] told me I was steaming at the finish I was really chuffed. I had held back and ran in hard. Glad it had been spotted even if last NSC runner home. No 'you are steaming' he repeated.
Might not wear my thermal leggings next week.....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Blimey that was a bit wild up on the Downs this morning! Ditchling Beacon to Lewes and back into the wind - horizontal rain that stung your face, a couple of times I was at a standstill plus a bit of slip sliding in the mud to add to the fun! The last 5km into wind took nearly 35 mins. Good preparation for Mince Pie 10 - it can't be that bad next week can it?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] you make me feel lucky. There was no rain on the seafront. I ran to Dukes Mound and did three runs up and down before struggling home 4 miles into the breeze. Heart goes out to the 10k runners at Hayling and Dunsford today. GNT and Curious. On a positive note I have realised that I have not had a good run since Brighton last lost. Long may my struggling runs continue.
No Parkrun next week for me. I will gratefully accept the offer of a lift for the Mince Pie run. House number 32, run starts at 11 so be ready whenever you turn up. Thanks.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The wind was howling into our faces down the runway at Dunsfold today [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], so I was pleased to finish 12th in 40:45 (chip time) just a second shy of my pb - when I wasn't on the runway I was doing about 6:22 miles so you can tell what a difference the wind made as that is comfortably sub 40 pace.

Really enjoyed myself today.

Last edited:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] you make me feel lucky. There was no rain on the seafront. I ran to Dukes Mound and did three runs up and down before struggling home 4 miles into the breeze. Heart goes out to the 10k runners at Hayling and Dunsford today. GNT and Curious. On a positive note I have realised that I have not had a good run since Brighton last lost. Long may my struggling runs continue.
No Parkrun next week for me. I will gratefully accept the offer of a lift for the Mince Pie run. House number 32, run starts at 11 so be ready whenever you turn up. Thanks.

The Mo-runner 10K was tough today. Sludge filled steep slopes and wind through the woods. More like a mountain biking track!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hayling Island 10 mile for me today. Bloody hell it was windy. (Notice excuse lodged before time revealed!)
1:17:59 - pleased with this. Faded in last mile (into gale) and over taken by many. But an OK performance - I've not even managed a 10 mile training run so this was a case of getting away with it.
Hayling Island is a bleak sort of place!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No race for me now until the Brighton Half. Very glad yesterday was a nine mile plod due to both the wind and going out with the lads for dinner, the boxing and Tuaca shots on Saturday night. The only thing that felt good was looking at the NSC strava group afterwards which I topped on total time due to being much slower than [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here