Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm amazed you can get 120 in let alone 130.
I'm a 100-105 kind of guy, although I found yesterday my pump is mysterious broken, for no apparent reason.

I don't know what way to go for MSR, either:-

Ulissi
Sagan
Cancellara.

Or

Cav (national loyalty only)
Griepel
Demare.

Plus clearly its a mistake not having Degenkolb in one of the groups.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was just worried that in exceeding the max recommended on the kids bikes by 10psi without realising it that their tyres have been susceptible to possibly blowing out. About 5psi out either way I would have perhaps expected but 10 came as a surprise. I run theirs on max because littlest has a one gear knobbly tyre job and I figure the less rolling resistance she gets the better. Likewise for the the others really, and to prevent any possibility of pinch flats. Mine I'm not so bothered about as I'm well within the recommended max and the pressure I've been running on has suited me on every count, so far (don't want to jinx it).

Good to hear the max levels given air (pun intended :)) on the side of caution then. Glad I know where I am now though in terms of the inaccurate gauge, even if it does make little difference ultimately.

P.S You've been a bit quite on the race front chat. Can we have a MSR prediction from you? I'm going to stick my neck out and say Greipel, although Degenkolb should be even more likely. Although I hope it's Cav again.

Of course, it could be the gauge that's off!

For msr I'll stay safe with -

Degenkolb
Demare
Modolo

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
130 for me all the way, but its been a few years since the poor old road bike has seen the light of day, the old Mountain Bike that takes me to the AMEX only needs 85...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
130 for me all the way, but its been a few years since the poor old road bike has seen the light of day, the old Mountain Bike that takes me to the AMEX only needs 85...

Ok, lets up the geek quotient; here's a published formula for tyre pressures -

Tire Width=20: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 63.33
Tire Width=23: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 53.33
Tire Width=25: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 43.33
Tire Width=28: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 33.33
Tire Width=32: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 41.67
Tire Width=37: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 26.67

Comes out as 108psi for my 23mm front and 98psi for my 25mm back tyre - a little lower than now.

Apparently the garage ones are obliged to be calibrated so you may be able to use that as your gauge 1066 (but only at higher psi, e.g above 60 odd, apparently).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to Twitter clear 3rd favourite at 8/1 max, Degenkolb is the 'outsider to watch', on Sunday.

It would seem cycling publications and us Geeks (loving the work there [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]) have very different opinions as to what constitutes an outsider.

There also seems to be a ground swell of opinion that it'll be a bunch sprint.
Which is nudging me towards the Demare 22/1.
But luckily being a contrarian I'm still going to root for Ulissi, as well.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oops, I'm too heavy for my max tyre pressure. Matters not this weekend as I'm under medical advice not to ride due to infection/inflammation in my ball bag. May well not follow advice if I feel better on Sunday.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Apologies for not being a more regular poster. I lurk a fair bit, but never really have anything of value to add. Anyway, the spring classics always get my dander up, so I'm here to put the kibosh on Kwiatkowski with news of my £2 bet at 66:1 on betfair. I just figure that, if Cav, Griepel, Demare and Kristoff get dropped, Matthews, Degenkolb, Sagan & Rojas puncture and/or crash and Gilbert, Cancellara, Gerrans & EBH have an off-day, he's nailed on. Can't wait.

PS Infected ballbag? That's not good. Get well soon.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Apologies for not being a more regular poster. I lurk a fair bit, but never really have anything of value to add. Anyway, the spring classics always get my dander up, so I'm here to put the kibosh on Kwiatkowski with news of my £2 bet at 66:1 on betfair. I just figure that, if Cav, Griepel, Demare and Kristoff get dropped, Matthews, Degenkolb, Sagan & Rojas puncture and/or crash and Gilbert, Cancellara, Gerrans & EBH have an off-day, he's nailed on. Can't wait.

PS Infected ballbag? That's not good. Get well soon.

I am sure you do have study to add, glanders. Racing again this season? We never got an update on last season's efforts (any pbs?)

Those odds seem long for kwia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're supposed to add value...

...oh :shit:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Yes, I thought so too, but I'm sure the folk at betfair know their onions. Guess he's only going to get his chance if Cav struggles on the climbs and I don't see him being able to drop Sagan in the absence of any inclines like the ones at the Strade Bianchi and he certainly won't out-sprint him! I fact, I'm now wondering why I bothered!

Yes, still racing thanks. Had, by my standards, a pretty decent year last year with PBs at most distances and sneaked 9th at the 12hr nationals. Got good vibes about this year - dropped a few kgs, training like an idiot and got a power meter, so no excuses! And, like us all, loving this weather! Are you riding much? Any plans to reprise your racing career?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm amazed you can get 120 in let alone 130.

On what grounds are you amazed???

1) That my mainly vegan diet means I don't have the strength to put 120 in?
2) That I can actually afford a pump capable of putting in 120?
3) That I can't count beyond 100?
4) Some other reason that doesn't involve taking the piss (as if).

Ok, lets up the geek quotient; here's a published formula for tyre pressures -

Tire Width=20: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 63.33
Tire Width=23: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 53.33
Tire Width=25: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 43.33
Tire Width=28: Pressure(psi) = (0.33 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 33.33
Tire Width=32: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 41.67
Tire Width=37: Pressure(psi) = (0.17 * Rider Weight in lbs) + 26.67

113 psi for me then on my 23's. Think I'll come down to 120 as a compromise (what I thought I was running on all this while rather than the 130 I've actually been on). Theory being I get the best of all worlds - rolling resistance, lack of pinch flats, cornering, comfort.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I think Kwiatkowski's odds are so lengthy because of two main reasons.

1) His big classics targets are in Ardennes .
2) The spectacular blow up in Tirreno-Adriatico. (Bookies are funny like that).

Mind you, if the non sprinters make the race hard enough and Cav does get dropped then Kwia might not be a bad shout, assuming he isn't spent from helping for Cav, which I assume will be his main role? At any rate, 66/1 on such a class rider in a quality in form team in a fairly unpredictable race can never really be a bad thing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, still racing thanks. Had, by my standards, a pretty decent year last year with PBs at most distances and sneaked 9th at the 12hr nationals. Got good vibes about this year - dropped a few kgs, training like an idiot and got a power meter, so no excuses! And, like us all, loving this weather!

:bowdown: :clap2:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yes, still racing thanks. Had, by my standards, a pretty decent year last year with PBs at most distances and sneaked 9th at the 12hr nationals. Got good vibes about this year - dropped a few kgs, training like an idiot and got a power meter, so no excuses! And, like us all, loving this weather! Are you riding much? Any plans to reprise your racing career?

Good to hear you're still at it, what did you get your times down to?

No racing plans for me, the 2 little ones take up far too much time! London 2 Brighton only this year then maybe a sportive or 2.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like it's going to be a late night for me Sunday and no peeping at this thread.

Stuck in Eastbourne for kids footy whilst MSR is on live so will have to make do with avoiding the results and watching the hour and half highlights programme starting at 10.30pm :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On what grounds are you amazed???

1) That my mainly vegan diet means I don't have the strength to put 120 in?
2) That I can actually afford a pump capable of putting in 120?
3) That I can't count beyond 100?
4) Some other reason that doesn't involve taking the piss (as if).

113 psi for me then on my 23's. Think I'll come down to 120 as a compromise (what I thought I was running on all this while rather than the 130 I've actually been on). Theory being I get the best of all worlds - rolling resistance, lack of pinch flats, cornering, comfort.
Nothing silly.

Just 100 psi + 'one more for luck', seems to generate tyres as hard as bullets, it never occurred to me I could/should carry on for another 20 + psi.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cracking stuff there [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION].
What form of racing is that 12 hours?
I'm picturing 12 hours round a motor racing circuit, if that's the case then it's even more phenomenal.

[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] has been a tiny bit cryptic on the Nike thread.
Earlier in the week, it did occur to me that him [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] haven't popped in for a chat, recently.

:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here