Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro meltdown

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There is so much of how Middlesborough play that reminds me of us in Poyets last season. Perhaps, the similarities continue with a manager whose ego is enormous and it could be that the will only just into play-offs.

For me, Burnley and us are the teams for automatic promotion but we do need to start scoring again.

I take your point re the similar styles of football that the two sides play or played, but l think thats where the similarities between Poyet and Karanka end.

Whilst the former has an ego the size of a double decker bus, the latter seems positively camera shy.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Best scenario would be Hull only draw or lose tonight, and draw Friday with Boro. IF we do the biz tomorrow and Sat, we could be in 2nd with a healthy gap to 3rd!
Think it would be harsh to make Hull play tonight and tomorrow

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Does last night's result increase the chance of Karanka staying on ? I'd like that little drama to run for a while yet :smile:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Does last night's result increase the chance of Karanka staying on ? I'd like that little drama to run for a while yet :smile:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aitor-karanka-head-coachs-future-11034376

Either way it's a mess. The fans and the rest of the coaching staff (and presumably some of the players) are behind him but he appears to have completely alienated other players to the point where they can't work together. Can't see a quick fix to this, fortunately.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
This story just gets better and better from a selfish point of view. I actually clenched my fist and cheered when I saw their result from last night which is something I barely ever do.

popcorn-blank.gif

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Everyone blasted Vicente, and you know very well the likes of Bennett, Buckley, El Abd and plenty of others all loved playing for him. The huge clear out post Poyet (of non playing staff too) demonstrated that.

Poyet didn't leave because he lost the dressing room. He left because he wanted more £££ next season and TB wouldn't allow it. He threw his toys and the rest is history.

AK has lost the dressing room and can't handle the pressure, not like GP situation at all.

Can't we all just enjoy 'Boro's implosion without looking for tenuous, at best, parallels to the Poyet situation?

I agree that Karanka’s situation isn’t like Poyet’s, and players did like Poyet, but I don’t think Poyet left because of the money. Sure he was grumbling a bit, but ultimately the thing a lot of people forget was he was sacked for gross misconduct. The truth is we will probably never know the exact details of what happened, despite all the rumours. But the thing about gross misconduct is that it categorically rules a lot of things out.

What it tells us for sure is; 1) he wasn’t sacked for asking for more money, he wasn’t sacked for talking to other clubs, he wasn’t sacked because he lost the dressing room, because none of these things are gross misconduct. 2) there was something very specific that resulted in him getting sacked, and the club obviously had him bang to rights because he didn’t get a single penny in compensation, which is unheard of.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He hasn't gone yet, and I'm sure Middlesbrough want him to stay.

But where would that leave any disruptive players ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
This story just gets better and better from a selfish point of view. I actually clenched my fist and cheered when I saw their result from last night which is something I barely ever do.

View attachment 73035
Exactly the same here, though I did also let out a chuckle at the whole situation.

Great fun to be looking in on someone else's pain for once (as we've been relatively calm for a while now).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
ultimately the thing a lot of people forget was he was sacked for gross misconduct. The truth is we will probably never know the exact details of what happened, despite all the rumours. But the thing about gross misconduct is that it categorically rules a lot of things out.

What it tells us for sure is; 1) he wasn’t sacked for asking for more money, he wasn’t sacked for talking to other clubs, he wasn’t sacked because he lost the dressing room, because none of these things are gross misconduct. 2) there was something very specific that resulted in him getting sacked, and the club obviously had him bang to rights because he didn’t get a single penny in compensation, which is unheard of.
I disagree. I doubt our club liked him pimping himself out to other clubs and the possibility that he was interested in leaving even when we were in the playoffs. Gross misconduct was the reason given, but that doesn't mean it was nothing to do with all the other things. When a company wants to get rid of someone, they can use other excuses, plenty of us will have seen it happen.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I disagree. I doubt our club liked him pimping himself out to other clubs and the possibility that he was interested in leaving even when we were in the playoffs. Gross misconduct was the reason given, but that doesn't mean it was nothing to do with all the other things. When a company wants to get rid of someone, they can use other excuses, plenty of us will have seen it happen.

True, but if this had been the case he would've got some form of compensation, if only in lieu of notice. Clubs, and employers in general (and particularly when being advised by highly paid employment lawyers), do not dismiss for Gross Misconduct unless a very serious act of misconduct has taken place, sufficient to justify immediate dismissal without notice or compensation. A further indicator that he was "bang to rights" and had breached his contract in a fundamental way lay in the fact that he did not appeal the decision.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
the club obviously had him bang to rights because he didn’t get a single penny in compensation, which is unheard of.

According to our resident footballing finance expert, El Presidente, the clubs finances actually show he did receive compensation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True, but if this had been the case he would've got some form of compensation
I'm not suggesting Gus had never done anything wrong, I don't think our club would have completely made it up, but he might have done something wrong that the club then used as the reason to get rid of him, when the real reason was a combination of things, including pimping himself to other clubs and showing a lack of respect for the job he was being paid to do.

We also don't know that he got no compensation, we don't know what the settlement was.

A further indicator that he was "bang to rights" and had breached his contract in a fundamental way lay in the fact that he did not appeal the decision.
I think he started to appeal it, but was then in another, better job, and as I say he may have had some compensation, we don't know. We also don't know that he did anything that bad.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Anyway, back to the more interesting topic of Boro's meltdown.

Seems Karanka isn't totally out of the door yet, and things may be resolved tomorrow, but what terrible preparation for their game with Hull.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here