Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good joke by CMD in PMQs...

"I do feel sorry for the Leader of the Opposition...

... he literally doesn't know where his next meal is coming from..!"

Ed Miliband more concerned with trying to get an answer about Tory broken promises on NHS.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Who said this before the last election ?

- We pledge a cast-iron guarantee of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty

- We pledge to reduce the deficit by 100% in one term

- We pledge no VAT rise

- We pledge to reduce nett migration to the tens of thousands

- We pledge there'll be no top-down reorganization of the NHS

- Read my lips...I will not means-test child benefit

- We don't have any plans to get rid of Education Maintenance Allowance

- Yes, we back Sure Start. Sure Start will stay, and we'll improve it.

- The Future Jobs Fund is a good scheme and we have no plans to change it.

- I promise to keep the Child Trust Fund for the poorest families

- It is totally unacceptable for bank bonuses to be paid on the back of taxpayer guarantees. It must stop!

- No bonuses over £2000 for Bankers!

- We pledge no cuts to frontline services

- We will stop A&E and maternity closures

- The "Military Covenant" will be enshrined in law

- We will not cut Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance

- We promise to give energy regulators more power

- We support the recall bill and the right for voters to sack bad MPs

- We pledge to set up a UK Border Police Force

- Anyone caught carrying a knife should expect a jail term

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Who said this before the last election ?

- We pledge a cast-iron guarantee of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty

- We pledge to reduce the deficit by 100% in one term

- We pledge no VAT rise

- We pledge to reduce nett migration to the tens of thousands

- We pledge there'll be no top-down reorganization of the NHS

- Read my lips...I will not means-test child benefit

- We don't have any plans to get rid of Education Maintenance Allowance

- Yes, we back Sure Start. Sure Start will stay, and we'll improve it.

- The Future Jobs Fund is a good scheme and we have no plans to change it.

- I promise to keep the Child Trust Fund for the poorest families

- It is totally unacceptable for bank bonuses to be paid on the back of taxpayer guarantees. It must stop!

- No bonuses over £2000 for Bankers!

- We pledge no cuts to frontline services

- We will stop A&E and maternity closures

- The "Military Covenant" will be enshrined in law

- We will not cut Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance

- We promise to give energy regulators more power

- We support the recall bill and the right for voters to sack bad MPs

- We pledge to set up a UK Border Police Force

- Anyone caught carrying a knife should expect a jail term

Phil "the Power" Taylor?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ashcroft's latest marginals are out, and this is the key poll to look at, because that's where the key seats to the election will be. This from political betting and, again, I managed to get in ahead of [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] on this one:

The latest batch of Lord Ashcroft marginals polling is out, and will bring bring great cheer to Labour and much disappointment to the Tories, who would have hoped the national polling trends would feed into the marginals.

Lord Ashcroft says

My findings this time suggest the better national news for the Conservatives is not spread evenly across the battleground. In only one of the seats, Worcester, has a Labour lead turned into a Tory one. In Croydon Central, the Labour lead has fallen from six points to four (in a seat that shows the biggest shift between the standard voting intention question and the result when people are asked to think about their own constituency and the candidates likely to stand there).

But Southampton Itchen has gone from a tie to an eight-point advantage for Labour, and in the four remaining seats Labour’s lead has increased, most notably from one point to eleven points in Chester. South Swindon remains tied.

The fieldwork was quite recent, between the 26th of February and the 12th of March, in December, his polling saw a Con to Lab swing of 3.5%, now with this batch, and the batch at the start of March, 5% Con to Lab Swing looks like the norm.

As it has been for a while it would appear that Labour are doing better in the marginals, and that the prices on Labour having most seats/Ed Miliband being the Prime Minister after the election is where the value is. Amazing to think that a Labour majority was around 32 a few weeks ago on Betfair.

But as Lord Ashcroft notes and promises

Even voters in marginal seats who do not flock to LordAshcroftPolls.com for the latest data will hear about it in the local media, and those inclined to vote tactically will be better informed than ever before. For that reason, even constituency polls published close to election day may not match the final result. My research will continue throughout the campaign to monitor the situation as it evolves.

The full data tables are available here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And more from political betting:

h12010 LDs are nearly twice as likely to switch to LAB in the marginals as they are in Ashcroft’s national polls
March 18th, 2015

This is the main driver of the bigger CON to LAB swing in the marginals

I was on a train heading to London to speak at a conference when Lord Ashcroft’s latest CON-LAB battleground polling was published yesterday and have only now got round to looking at the detail.

The most striking feature and a big driver of Labour’s strength in the seats polled is how well the party is doing in attracting and retaining 2010 LD to LAB switchers. What’s even more marked is that the levels of switching appear to be substantially greater in the single constituency polls than in Lord Ashcroft’s national surveys.

I looked at the proportion of switchers in the last four Ashcroft National polls and compared them with the average level of switching in this latest round of marginals’ polling.

The positive feature for the Conservatives in all of this is that in the CON-LAB marginals there were fewer LD voters than in the country as a whole. So the greater propensity to switch covers a smaller segment of the electorate.

The level of switching, however, more than compensates for this.

All polls are snapshots and this might not continue until May 7th. On the other hand the still large number of 2010 LD voters yet to make up their minds are likely to come into play.

We are promised much more from Lord A in the weeks that remain and I will continue to track this.

Lord Ashcroft’s English polling could have a similar level of bad news for the Tories in England as his surveys North of the have for Labour.

Mike Smithson

Dandyman

In London village.
Well one way of looking at is that 59.1% of the electorate ended up with their party in government, which is a post- war record. As for the LIb Dems, for WHAT are they being punished? Having the temerity to get 23% of the vote, 57 seats, being part of a government that has produced 5 sound years of economic rejuvenation?

It is truly bizarre that a party can govern with some success and still be decimated in the following election. The rest of Europe is used to coalition and forming alliances, yet we love a protest vote, we reject anything but FPTP then wring our hands when, lo and behold, no party has an overall majority.

Did the Con-Dems stand on a joint ticket ? No Did they give the electorate the chance to decide if they supported a coalition by holding fresh elections ? No.

The Liberals have made 5 years of a extremist right-wing attempt to destroy the Welfare State possible. They have supported regressive taxation, massive service cuts, the bedroom tax, the scraping of the school building programme, lied about tuition fees, and cheered on the creeping privitisation of the NHS.

larus

I disagree. I prefer we vote for parties and let them govern. Referendums are a cop-out for weak leaders. And if referendums are a good idea why not just dispense with political parties and employ an administrative body to host votes for everything?

Actually, referendum allows the defining issues in politics to be de-politicised. The problem with politics/politicians is that most don't vote on their conscience/interests of the electorate, they toe the party line to seek promotion, I.e. self interest.

Switzerland holds a lot of referendums I believe and they don't seem to do too bad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Did the Con-Dems stand on a joint ticket ? No Did they give the electorate the chance to decide if they supported a coalition by holding fresh elections ? No.

The Liberals have made 5 years of a extremist right-wing attempt to destroy the Welfare State possible. They have supported regressive taxation, massive service cuts, the bedroom tax, the scraping of the school building programme, lied about tuition fees, and cheered on the creeping privitisation of the NHS.

That's democracy for you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Did the nation decide it didn't want a majority government? YES
Do you have to trust the MPs you have elected form a government? YES
Do you keep going with further election until you have some fudged majority which is what you are suggesting? NO

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
can i just interject and just say none of you have a frigging clue what is going to happen.

that is what makes this one of the most interesting elections in my lifetime......also if you cant be bothered to get involved in this election ......screw you.......imbeciles!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here