Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't worry about us, we are only supporters.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Assuming, as seems likely, the Watford game is changed, it will mean that we have only had twelve Saturday home games this season. Given that there always seems to be several people on here who are unable to get to midweek games, the cost of a season ticket when you can only watch just over 50% of home games is hardly an attractive one.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't watch the Premier League on Sky. But I am a Sky Sports subscriber. Got any other simplistic ideas?

Er, yes. Stop watching the Premier League on Sky. They track viewing figures you know. Simples.

PS, try not to be so immediately rude in future.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Er, yes. Stop watching the Premier League on Sky. They track viewing figures you know. Simples.

PS, try not to be so immediately rude in future.
I wasn't being rude! You said it was 'simple', the implication being that if we all stopped watching Sky Sports then football will be saved. You are wrong, it isn't that simple as my situation proves: I'm a Sky Sports subscriber who doesn't Premier League football, so therefore I can't stop' watching it. So your 'simple' answer .... I'll try and be really polite ... needs a bit of a rethink.

And as an aside I'm interested as to how Sky track the viewing habits of all their subscribers?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The solution seems simple to me.

Stop watching the Premier League on SKY.

Absolutely.

I prefer to pay to watch non league matches than watch premier league games on SKY.
TBH I would rather go for a hike over the downs than watch a PL match in a pub full of plastic fans.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wasn't being rude! You said it was 'simple', the implication being that if we all stopped watching Sky Sports then football will be saved. You are wrong, it isn't that simple as my situation proves: I'm a Sky Sports subscriber who doesn't Premier League football, so therefore I can't stop' watching it. So your 'simple' answer .... I'll try and be really polite ... needs a bit of a rethink.

And as an aside I'm interested as to how Sky track the viewing habits of all their subscribers?

Well I can congratulate you then. By not watching the Premier League on Sky you are, er well, not watching the Premier League on Sky. So you have stopped. As most of football's excesses are driven by money, a decline in viewing figures would affect the exorbitant amounts they are prepared to pay.

First port of call for viewing figures would be BARB http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/barb-facts/how-we-do-what-we-do

All the best. I'm off to Millwall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be desperately surprised if all UK Sky Sports subscribers cancelled, Sky would still be able to take the hit.
The money they make selling the Premier League around the world must make UK subscription income fairly pitiful.

Now if we wanted Sky and the whole commercial/corporate, fat-cat, greed is good, culture out of football, all we can do is boycott games.

Without the atmosphere, the tears and cheers, the face paints and flags football would be almost unbroadcastable (which is a word).
The money will disappear from the game over night.

Just be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
If the fans want to name their own club than surely the answer is to buy it off the chairman? Then the decision wouldn't be in his hands

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
does make you wonder who the **** is actually in charge.
easy those who pay to watch live football

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wouldn't be desperately surprised if all UK Sky Sports subscribers cancelled, Sky would still be able to take the hit.
The money they make selling the Premier League around the world must make UK subscription income fairly pitiful.

I'm not sure that SKY make anything outside their UK rights. The Premier League sell overseas rights in other tenders.

If UK subscribers left en masse SKY would be badly affected, hence the massive bid to keep the Premiership football away from BT.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Now if we wanted Sky and the whole commercial/corporate, fat-cat, greed is good, culture out of football, all we can do is boycott games.

Without the atmosphere, the tears and cheers, the face paints and flags football would be almost unbroadcastable (which is a word).
The money will disappear from the game over night.

Just be careful what you wish for.

Sky are increasing their prices on June 1st , three months earlier than the traditional annual price hike. Sky wont see a massive churn because nine out of ten who phone through to cancel Sports get offered a retentions deal. The other one in ten are serious about their conviction to cancel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure that SKY make anything outside their UK rights. The Premier League sell overseas rights in other tenders.

If UK subscribers left en masse SKY would be badly affected, hence the massive bid to keep the Premiership football away from BT.
So are you saying the League pockets all the overseas tv rights and a billion from Sky.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So are you saying the League pockets all the overseas tv rights and a billion from Sky.

The Premier League will sell the rights to foreign broadcasters later this year. Whereas Sky and BT between them are forking out £5B for the 3 year deal the worldwide rights are expected to only bring in £3B.The BBC will be paying £204M (£68M a season) for the match highlights which are shown on Match of the Day

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Premier League will sell the rights to foreign broadcasters later this year. Whereas Sky and BT between them are forking out £5B for the 3 year deal the worldwide rights are expected to only bring in £3B.The BBC will be paying £204M (£68M a season) for the match highlights which are shown on Match of the Day
shudder, it's even more obscene than I thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here