Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren.....next to go ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
My favourite Derby related quote is Nigel Clough pointing out he was sacked as Derby were 14th and just lost to Forest - whilst reducing wage bill enormously

Having inflated the wage bill several times over and spending anything from £100m to £150m re transfer fees and wages in the following five years ... Derby are now 10th

They'd have been promoted by now with Clough, maybe even with Clement.

Obvious what the problem there is.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If their chairman was 'seething' as reported, then McClaren is surely gone before the next game.

Would be fantastic if a new manager could knock Derby into shape before they play Huddersfield.

In what other industry can someone who repeatedly demonstrates mediocrity, get the sack, get a pay off and then get another highly paid job to do it all over again?

The mind boggles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep pretty ideal if they get in a solid coach before playing Huddersfield.
It's a crazy plan, but if they don't leave the windows open...

parking-the-bus-21.jpg

...it might just work.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Seeing as everyone who manages England gets labelled an idiot, I did have some sympathy with Mclaren. However his team selection on Friday was dire.

I know Ince has his fans I am not really one of them, I am not saying he shouldn't have started, but I do think that Hughes, Bryson and Russell are all good players. To see none of them in the starting line up was a big plus point for me.

Our first goal was quality, but when you look at the "challenge" that De Sart made on the edge of his own area, I would have taken him off there and then and given him a one way ticket back to the North East. He looks to be a decent passer of the ball, but lightweight doesn't begin to describe him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seeing as everyone who manages England gets labelled an idiot, I did have some sympathy with Mclaren. However his team selection on Friday was dire.

I know Ince has his fans I am not really one of them, I am not saying he shouldn't have started, but I do think that Hughes, Bryson and Russell are all good players. To see none of them in the starting line up was a big plus point for me.

Our first goal was quality, but when you look at the "challenge" that De Sart made on the edge of his own area, I would have taken him off there and then and given him a one way ticket back to the North East. He looks to be a decent passer of the ball, but lightweight doesn't begin to describe him.

The Sky commentators nailed it - they said something along the lines of 'if that was Stephens or Kayal neither man nor ball would have got past'...........

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They'd have been promoted by now with Clough, maybe even with Clement.

Obvious what the problem there is.

Exactly.....my first thought upon reading the thread title.. In a sense Birmingham seem to have followed suite this season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Big fan of Hughes but he was absolutely atrocious when he came on so there does seem reason behind leaving him out.

Very different to when he came on in the opening game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Big fan of Hughes but he was absolutely atrocious when he came on so there does seem reason behind leaving him out.

Very different to when he came on in the opening game.

I thought that he attempted too push them on but was well contained by Kayal with Rosenior and Stephens as the next line of defence.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
He's just being sacked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here