Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most EXCITING player in the Championship

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
No.

However, I also get leg rubbingly excited when Jamie Murphy runs so directly at the opposition.

Knocky for sure the most exciting, but I agree and am very pleased to see the Jamie Murphy return to his best of last season. A goal scorer and creates chances like Anthony, although a different type of player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Forestieri would be up there, he's capable of the sublime but he doesn't have the trickery and unpredictability that Knockaert does.
I find Knockaert quite predictable. He'll take on the people in front of him and sure as day follows night, he'll beat them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't see it meself as it was up the other end, but didn't somebody report on here a couple of weeks back that AK skinned a couple of defenders at the Amex so comprehensively that they actually applauded him? If so, that's quite exceptional.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I would say AK, but then I don't have extensive knowledge of many other players, apart from when they play against the Seagulls.

This article highlights the importance he had last year, as well as this. I also thought the words about Duffy were interesting and encouraging, if not exciting: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ampionship-players-season-mitrovic-will-grigg

Apart from getting where we bought him from and the price paid wrong, those are good comments about Knockaert.

See what you mean about Duffy as well - we have definitelybought a good one there.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
No.

However, I also get leg rubbingly excited when Jamie Murphy runs so directly at the opposition.

Same. Feel a bit sorry for him. He'd probably start a lot more games at another club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a slightly different way, Jonjo Shelvey is capable of being incredibly impressive and his range of passing is phenomenal. Also that free kick against us was superb.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would say Will Hughes has a similar range of skills and influence on games. The pass for Bent's goal on Saturday was very good (as was the finish).

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
I'd say March. Before he got injured he was coming into the form of his career so it was hard to say how good he was going to become. Hoping he rediscovers it and shows how good he is.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
No way, consistency, quality, skill, poise

I cant think of anyone in the league with his skills and tricks who consistently delivers in every game

kjgood

I agree AK is the most exciting, how he beat the Norwich defenders with his trickery last week was an amazing display of skill, worth the enterance money just for that moment. Apart from the skill factor, his workrate also lifts him over the competitors. The guy has obviously found a place where the rest of the team compliments his skills.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Forestieri came into my mind too. I guess Derby fans would suggest Will Hughes or even Tom Ince, when he can be bothered.

Has to be Knockaert for his mix of attacking play, dribbling skills, goals, assists and even tackling back. Not just another wide player, he is a real headache for opposing teams to play against. They know what he is capable of and presumably set out to counter him but so often fail. He has that rare 'X' factor with a quicksilver footballing brain, feet and ball skills. Reminds me of Peter Ward at his peak when decent defences knew what he was capable of but just could not cope with him.

Then there is AK's obvious passion for the game and rapport with the Albion fans. I suspect we might see that raised a notch or two when he returns to the team.

What a bargain too. How many other clubs must be kicking themselves they did not sign him?

I'm struggling to identify a more exciting player than Knockaert, but one thing he could definitely improve in his game is assists, and not taking on too much himself. I don't think he's got an assist this season, and would be interested to see how many he got for us last season and, more importantly, passes from open play (I'm remembering the penalty he won against Charlton, for instance, which doesn't fall into this category, as wouldn't corners that he took that we scored from).

He doesn't look in the best of shape, but Tomlin might be another one worth throwing into the mix, with passing assists in mind, he set Abraham up with one (nine days ago?) that was a really sublime pass. Forestieri can do similar things too.

Edit: just seen others indicating that Hughes and Shelvey can do similar things, which I wouldn't dissent from.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
AK does something every game where he gets the Amex on their feet. It's got to the point now where I used to think we're going nowhere but when AK has it I'm waiting for him to create something out of nothing . When we played Forest away last year and AK got it in a wide position in the last minutes , I remember thinking to myself this is where we want it . I really believe he can do it at the top level as well .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I find Knockaert quite predictable. He'll take on the people in front of him and sure as day follows night, he'll beat them.

Watching two or three defenders closing in on AK is sort of like watching a movie where the hero faces apparently insurmountable odds. You're worried, but you're not THAT worried, because you know he'll always find a way through. The fun is in seeing how he does it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You know in that Liam Neeson film 'Taken' there are all those dodgy Albanian gangsters that kidnap teenage girls for sex trafficking? They all wear really dodgy 80s knitwear or leather blousons with tracksuit bottoms....that's who I imagine every time I see Jonjo Shelvey.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Don't understand everyone saying Will Hughes. He's a decent centre mid who has been over hyped because of his age. He'd be on the bench if we had him in our squad.

But yes, there is no doubt that Knocky is the most exciting. Reminds me of Adel Taarabt in the championship for QPR a few years ago with his total dominance and skill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here