Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can season ticket holders get compensation ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wrong. The point is, and has been made on numerous occasions by various posters, that everyone was aware of the possibility of fixtures being switched for live games. If you now find that unacceptable then don't renew your season ticket next year and just go to the games that you can make. In future, don't enter into any contract if you don't like the terms of that contract.

It seems to me that there are a very small minority starting numerous threads and making a lot of noise about an issue that most don't necessarily like but are prepared to accept. Without the Sky money match tickets would probably be another £8 more expensive or, we stop trying to sign players like Kayal, Knockhaert etc etc. Oh, no doubt there would be threads from the same bunch bemoaning that we aren't competing in the transfer market.

Finally, as for this 'traditional 3pm kick off' slot, can someone please explain what time kick offs were when there were no floodlights? The first floodlit league game was not until 1955 but not sure when the first Albion floodlit game was. Surely before floodlights, a lot of games would have kicked off at 2pm on a Saturday!!!

I've Googled it. League games were 2.15 and cup games 1.45.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The original thread title people possibly seeking compensation for the fixtures being disrupted and not being able to see the games.
Absolute insanity.
What will it be next ? Sue the club because their enjoyment was spoiled, becuase the team didn't win every match they played ?
Someone go hit by a piece of inch long flying turf ?

Thanks, just wanted to know which side of the fence you were commenting on.
:thumbsup:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I've Googled it. League games were 2.15 and cup games 1.45.

The difference being that back then very few fans travelled to away games and the home support would in the main be pretty much all locals. The reason for the k.o. times was because by and large the workforce finished their week at 12oclock then had time to get home from the shops and factory's get washed , have a quick bite to eat then wander down to the local stadium.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The difference being that back then very few fans travelled to away games and the home support would in the main be pretty much all locals. The reason for the k.o. times was because by and large the workforce finished their week at 12oclock then had time to get home from the shops and factory's get washed , have a quick bite to eat then wander down to the local stadium.

Nothing to do with it getting dark then!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I have Albion friends where I work who are season ticket holders who bought their season ticket to watch the club on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.
Being postmen they finish at 1.30pm and can't get to the AMEX for 12.30 start due to Sky wanting an early kickoff.
There must be many other season ticket holders who are seriously p*ssed off and cannot make an early kickoff due to being at work on Saturday mornings and who didn't expect so many early games and are losing the benefit of seeing the top games .
It is hardly fair after stumping up so much money and the club must realise that working people don't only work 9 to 5 mon to fri

Seeing they are postman I take it they can get to the other 19 home games. The season ticket roughly works out at 7 free games a reward so they are still quids in so don't understand thier request for compensation as theynot at a financial loss. You sign a contract when taking a season ticket which states fixtures are subject to change. Did they read them?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wrong. The point is, and has been made on numerous occasions by various posters, that everyone was aware of the possibility of fixtures being switched for live games. If you now find that unacceptable then don't renew your season ticket next year and just go to the games that you can make. In future, don't enter into any contract if you don't like the terms of that contract.

It seems to me that there are a very small minority starting numerous threads and making a lot of noise about an issue that most don't necessarily like but are prepared to accept. Without the Sky money match tickets would probably be another £8 more expensive or, we stop trying to sign players like Kayal, Knockhaert etc etc. Oh, no doubt there would be threads from the same bunch bemoaning that we aren't competing in the transfer market.

Finally, as for this 'traditional 3pm kick off' slot, can someone please explain what time kick offs were when there were no floodlights? The first floodlit league game was not until 1955 but not sure when the first Albion floodlit game was. Surely before floodlights, a lot of games would have kicked off at 2pm on a Saturday!!!

First, I don't have a season ticket, never have done. I'm just commenting on something that seems unfair. People who buy single tickets for a game that gets moved can get some compensation but people who have season tickets can't. It doesn't seem a difficult thing for the club to do.

Second, this isn't about next season, when I'm sure people will reconsider buying a st, its about this season when a product they bought is getting messed around with far more than in probably any season we've ever had. I don't think there is a precedent for this many games being switched for non-weather / cup reasons.

So yes, one or two games being changed is expected, but this is about more and more games being switched. At what point should people complain? Never? If a third of games get re-scheduled thats well over a hundred qiuids worth of ST value.

I'll repeat my hypothetical, and this is an honest question, what if games were switched to a time you were at work, say 10am on a Wednesday? How many games would have to be switched before you started making a fuss? Three? five? seven? or you'd just accept it regardless

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

No doubt someone on here will remember the exact date, but as far as l am aware we didn't actually instal floodlighting at the Goldstone until quite late, probably in the 1960's?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
First, I don't have a season ticket, never have done. I'm just commenting on something that seems unfair. People who buy single tickets for a game that gets moved can get some compensation but people who have season tickets can't. It doesn't seem a difficult thing for the club to do.

Second, this isn't about next season, when I'm sure people will reconsider buying a st, its about this season when a product they bought is getting messed around with far more than in probably any season we've ever had. I don't think there is a precedent for this many games being switched for non-weather / cup reasons.

So yes, one or two games being changed is expected, but this is about more and more games being switched. At what point should people complain? Never? If a third of games get re-scheduled thats well over a hundred qiuids worth of ST value.

I'll repeat my hypothetical, and this is an honest question, what if games were switched to a time you were at work, say 10am on a Wednesday? How many games would have to be switched before you started making a fuss? Three? five? seven? or you'd just accept it regardless

I'm self employed and could easily rearrange my schedule. However, that isn't going to happen because the point of broadcasting the games is that people are at home to watch them so you 'hypothetical' is more of a 'ludicrous'.

I'm also intrigued as to what compensation you get when a game is moved. Isn't it just a refund? As for STH, we get a substantial discount on match day prices. For me I would have to miss over 7 games a season for it not to be economical but that doesn't take into account that I have a guaranteed seat with a friends and family.

As you have never had a season ticket then I assume you pick and chose which games you go to, either due to economic factors or other commitments so why do you assume STHs aren't aware or accept (albeit reluctantly), the conditions attached to the purchase of those tickets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No doubt someone on here will remember the exact date, but as far as l am aware we didn't actually instal floodlighting at the Goldstone until quite late, probably in the 1960's?

I went to HCGSG in Neville Road, leaving in 1964. I can remember seeing the floodlights out of the classroom window before that. It may have been early 60s.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've always bought my season ticket before the fixtures are out in June, so I don't know which games are when at that point, and certainly don't expect compensation.

The compensation I do get comes in the form of being able to watch away games occasionally on sky, which otherwise I'd be listening to on the radio.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm self employed and could easily rearrange my schedule. However, that isn't going to happen because the point of broadcasting the games is that people are at home to watch them so you 'hypothetical' is more of a 'ludicrous'.

I'm also intrigued as to what compensation you get when a game is moved. Isn't it just a refund? As for STH, we get a substantial discount on match day prices. For me I would have to miss over 7 games a season for it not to be economical but that doesn't take into account that I have a guaranteed seat with a friends and family.

As you have never had a season ticket then I assume you pick and chose which games you go to, either due to economic factors or other commitments so why do you assume STHs aren't aware or accept (albeit reluctantly), the conditions attached to the purchase of those tickets.

I just think there comes a point when it gets rather unfair and a small refund would be minor in respect o the TV money the club gets. But anyway, I just wanted to back up those people feeling hard done by. Whatever the rights or wrongs or T&C's, they're just people who wanted to go and watch Brighton play and now can't because SKY.

Oh how I wish I could pick and choose which games to go to. In fact I'm just hoping I get to see us at least once live this season, dividing my time between Borneo and Cornwall doesn't make it easy. So I'm actually someone who is pleased these games are moved for TV because I can actually get to watch the game

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its exactly the point, that sth holders don't get compensation if fixtures are moved and that seems unfair. If instead, 3 or 4 fixtures were moved to say, Wednesday morning at 10, you wouldn't get all these people defending the T&C's, but because it's just clashing with people who work Saturday mornings, they're expected to take the financial loss and shut up about it.

I do not think the point you make is ludicrous. It's human nature that in general those affected complain and those who are more able to be flexible do not, and wonder what the fuss is about. If, as you say, the rearranged time of the match was 10 am on a Wednesday, people would rightly be outraged. 12:30 on a Saturday is every bit as bad for my brother who has no choice but to work at that time.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Nothing to do with it getting dark then!
Obviously it has some bearing but if that was the only reason for the ko times why weren't games played in the morning whilst everyone was working? Could it possibly be a convenient time for people to attend was considered?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Obviously it has some bearing but if that was the only reason for the ko times why weren't games played in the morning whilst everyone was working? Could it possibly be a convenient time for people to attend was considered?

The point I was making was that 3pm kick offs aren't as traditional as some seem to make out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The point I was making was that 3pm kick offs aren't as traditional as some seem to make out.
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. Before the eighties, apart from a few select times, football matches were played almost entirely at 3pm on a Saturday with a few Tuesday and Wednesday evening kickoffs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. Before the eighties, apart from a few select times, football matches were played almost entirely at 3pm on a Saturday with a few Tuesday and Wednesday evening kickoffs.

Firstly, don't you mean before the 90s. However, prior to that, what time during the winter months (probably late Oct to mid Feb) do you think the traditional kick off time was? Albion didn't play under floodlights until 1961 (60 years after their formation). 30 years later kick off times, at least in the premiership, started to be changed. Most supporters probably only remember 3pm kick offs but they have been far from really traditional throughout a whole season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Firstly, don't you mean before the 90s. However, prior to that, what time during the winter months (probably late Oct to mid Feb) do you think the traditional kick off time was? Albion didn't play under floodlights until 1961 (60 years after their formation). 30 years later kick off times, at least in the premiership, started to be changed. Most supporters probably only remember 3pm kick offs but they have been far from really traditional throughout a whole season.
No, I mean 80's there was life before sky. BBC and ITV showed a few top flight games a season for a few years. Those were the days.

And silly me, I see what you mean about floodlights. I think they may well have had a staggered start getting earlier as the nights drew in as I found one from about 1960 which started at 2:45. I tried to look on Ian Hines excellent site but it required either signing into flickr and making a Yahoo account or using a computer, something I try my very best to avoid these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here