Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So Savages then.

First up were Bo Ningen, who remain one of the best live bands in the country, nearly 7 years since I first saw them. As always, they appeared to make plenty of new fans.

Savages. Right, I'm starting to develop one of those irrational dislikes now. It started with some of the lyrics on the album that I think are really over earnest, like someone who is actually quite boring trying to portray themselves as edgy and cool. It's now spilt over into their live performance. As a band they were super tight, especially considering it was the first show of the tour and Gemma Thompson is a wickedly underrated lead guitarist, I spent most of the evening watching her.

Because Jenny Beth makes me cringe. The nadir of this particular performance was when she did the Iggy walking on the hands of the crowd thing in Bexhill in 2016. The whole scene was tragic, watching the gig starved natives lapping it up like it was 1970 and The Stooges were running through 'I wanna Be Your Dog.'

Furthermore, do Savages identify as a feminist band? I ask the question because a pretty full on circle mosh broke out half way through the show, directly in front of Jenny Beth, she couldn't have missed it. I personally found it annoying and moved away and I've been around the block a bit as far as heavy gigs are concerned. Now Savages are now the sort of level of band where young girls might be seeing them as one of their first proper gigs, especially somewhere like Bexhill and I think it's brilliant that there's a band of their obvious quality and dedication to look up to. However, I'm down with the Kathleen Hanna 'girls to the front' when a circle mosh breaks out, young girls shouldn't have to deal with frustrated meatheads shoving each other, if they want to do that, **** off to the back and do it. If she'd spent less time showing off and more time giving a shit about the next generation on female punk fans, I would have been far more impressed.

I might add I suspect I'm in a minority of one with this criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU1bEeKsHs8

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because Jenny Beth makes me cringe. The nadir of this particular performance was when she did the Iggy walking on the hands of the crowd thing in Bexhill in 2016. The whole scene was tragic, watching the gig starved natives lapping it up like it was 1970 and The Stooges were running through 'I wanna Be Your Dog.'

The thing is, she might be imitating another band but the reference point you're making is 46 years ago and most likely totally lost on the vast majority of the crowd. I hate to say this, as you seem a decent guy and have valuable musical insight which I have benefited from numerous times, but there is a whiff of music snobbery and elitism about this paragraph, especially the last sentence.

Totally agree about Bo Ningen though :thumbsup:

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The thing is, she might be imitating another band but the reference point you're making is 46 years ago and most likely totally lost on the vast majority of the crowd. I hate to say this, as you seem a decent guy and have valuable musical insight which I have benefited from numerous times, but there is a whiff of music snobbery and elitism about this paragraph, especially the last sentence.

Oh I'm fully aware that there is but that was kind of my intention and the tongue is slightly in cheek. Doesn't her awareness of the reference actually make it worse? And I think the first point and the second point are linked, her performance lacks spontaneity, everything seems planned in advance. It makes me think (if such a thing existed) of a rock band frontperson exam practical.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I'm not having that. Gig starved locals? Firstly, most gig attendee's at the Bexhill venue are from out of town. Secondly, Outside of Brighton, The De La Warr is probably the most vibrant music venue in Sussex. In recent times its hosted the likes of Elvis Costello, Johnny Marr, The Levellers, British Sea Power, Ray Davies, John Cooper Clarke Paul Heaton, Don McLean plus a host of many others. Upcoming events include the legendary Wilko Johnson. Hardly gig starved. What have the likes of Worthing, Hastings, Eastbourne had in comparison?

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

The vast majority of the crowd were of an age to have seen it all before; and no, this is not a dig at the fine residents of Bexhill! And I would say the crowd were hardly gig starved with Brighton, Hastings and London within easy travel distance. It looked like a lot had travelled to the show and were there for the band and not to pose and chat to mates which has always been a common problem at Brighton gigs.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good savages were. Particularly considering it was the first night of the tour, I had not seen them before but thought they'd be pretty light weight as a live band. Hearing and reading recent interviews they've certainly changed their approach and do seem less po-faced and earnest, which will make them more appealing I suppose. However, I'd agree the show had an element of hackneyed posturing which could easily fall into the contrived bracket.

I know savages and bo ningen are mates but fair play to savages for taking a band on support who will blow them off stage more times than not. They were superb.

Anyone seeing Japanese band, Tricot, at the Green Door next a month?

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not having that. Gig starved locals? Firstly, most gig attendee's at the Bexhill venue are from out of town. Secondly, Outside of Brighton, The De La Warr is probably the most vibrant music venue in Sussex. In recent times its hosted the likes of Elvis Costello, Johnny Marr, The Levellers, British Sea Power, Ray Davies, John Cooper Clarke Paul Heaton plus a host of many others. Upcoming events include the legendary Wilko Johnson. Hardly gig starved. What have the likes of Worthing, Hastings, Eastbourne had in comparison?

I don't deny that the De La Warr punches above its weight in terms of the bands it attracts but that doesn't equate to Bexhill having a thriving local music scene where you can see good bands most nights of the week. Therefore I stand by gig-starved, it feels like the gig is a real event, which I feel gives a slightly warped perception of quality.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know savages and bo ningen are mates but fair play to savages for taking a band on support who will blow them off stage more times than not. They were superb.

Anyone seeing Japanese band, Tricot, at the Green Door next a month?

I said exactly that. You've got to be a fairly confident band to take that lot out with you.

I wish, I'm on holiday. They're awesome.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I don't deny that the De La Warr punches above its weight in terms of the bands it attracts but that doesn't equate to Bexhill having a thriving local music scene where you can see good bands most nights of the week. Therefore I stand by gig-starved, it feels like the gig is a real event, which I feel gives a slightly warped perception of quality.

Outside of the large metropolitan area's, most towns are probably gig starved in that they don't host live music seven nights a week. Compared to towns of comparable size, I wouldn't consider Bexhill so gig starved.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
On a different note, Laurie Anderson is curating this year's Brighton Festival. As usual, the music doesn't quite do it for me, although I will be going to see Phronesis. Tindersticks are playing The Dome too.
There is a really interesting range of theatre, and other performances, including Complicite/Simon McBurney.

Looking fwd to Phronesis. Saw them at love supreme a couple of years ago.

Not seen anyone mention that Wire are playing a warm up show at Lewes Con Club next month and Australian trio the Necks play the Meeting Hall at The Uni in April.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It looked like a lot had travelled to the show and were there for the band and not to pose and chat to mates which has always been a common problem at Brighton gigs.

Where I was at the front I actually encountered a lot of annoying chat, overuse of cameraphones and selfie overload. More so than Brighton, perhaps I was a little unlucky.

I didn't get as much of an out of town vibe as I did before but perhaps that's because we drove.

I'd say it's a weird and slightly disconcerting mix of the 'well there's nothing else to do' and the superfan.

Anyway. No one died.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Where I was at the front I actually encountered a lot of annoying chat, overuse of cameraphones and selfie overload. More so than Brighton, perhaps I was a little unlucky.

I didn't get as much of an out of town vibe as I did before but perhaps that's because we drove.

I'd say it's a weird and slightly disconcerting mix of the 'well there's nothing else to do' and the superfan.

Anyway. No one died.

Lol, oh well. Being an older fart, I was at the back supping beer. It wasn't very full. We drove too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Outside of the large metropolitan area's, most towns are probably gig starved in that they don't host live music seven nights a week. Compared to towns of comparable size, I wouldn't consider Bexhill so gig starved.

Which is probably where our disconnect has come from. I thought it was fairly clear I was comparing it to Brighton rather than Eastbourne. It's not even really meant to be a criticism, more a statement of fact. I don't know; I just thought some of the hamming up might have been less rabidly acknowledged by a more gig weathered, cynical audience.

To me a local scene isn't having a few touring bands turning up every fortnight. It's about having the environments to encourage your own talent. Eastbourne, Hastings and Worthing all actually do and I'm regularly aware of good things going on there. Bexhill less so. Perhaps my ear isn't close enough to the ground.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Looking fwd to Phronesis. Saw them at love supreme a couple of years ago.

Not seen anyone mention that Wire are playing a warm up show at Lewes Con Club next month and Australian trio the Necks play the Meeting Hall at The Uni in April.

I would have mentioned Wire but it's another one I'm missing because I'm on holiday. Has anyone noticed the row on Facebook about them playing The Con Club becuase of its alleged Conservative connections?

I could kiss you for The Necks tip. I was totally unaware. You've made my day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Feb 19th-first recorded binfest on a music thread. :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on Herr T - that isn't a binfest. On the NSC scale it barely registers as a polite disagreement!

True. My post was in jest. I think polite disagreement is as binfest as it gets on the music threads.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, I'm weighing up whether to see Radiohead at a festival. Really want to see them, but worry that seeing them play away from their home crowd will be a bad experience. I worry that their more subtle moments will be ruined by goons chatting and stuff.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Though talking about the Bexhill live scene, I was completely unaware that Mumm-Ra had reformed. I bought one of their records on some NME hype I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumm-Ra_(band)

They had the dubious honour of opening the worst NME Awards Tour ever (Mumm-Ra - The Horrors (on their first record - they were alright) - The View - The Automatic.)

For comparison purposes the year before was Maximo Park (I stand by their first album being a very under appreciated record), Arctic Monkeys, We Are Scientists, Mystery Jets (on their completely brilliant first album)

And the year before that The Killers (pre real fame), The Futureheads (before their not so good second album), Bloc Party (on Silent Alarm) and Kaiser Chiefs (pre- first album)

Anyway, I digress. Jumpers for goalposts etc....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here