Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam johnson sacked

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The way that that law is written sounds so woolly, it'd surprise me if convictions were common.

The UK version of relating to a person being in a position of responsibility is, at least, a bit clearer and more definitive.

Agreed and on balance I favour our system although I think the sentencing guidelines are draconian and would prefer more judicial discretion with the usual appeals procedure for lax/OTT sentencing to correct any discrepancies.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We've both quoted Wikipedia. First it's translated which isn't always exact when dealing with nuanced language like law. Second there's probably more to it than what we have pasted.

True. I would be interested to see more detailed analysis, comparable conviction rates/cases etc.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
You have to admit, there's a certain irony in his England squad number.

103825667 (1).jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Followed all the court reports & obviously Johnson will get what he deserves & learn his lesson but bit staggered by the reporting just now in the BBC 'Johnson has never apologised to his victim in or out of court.' Absolute nonsense - he gave a clear apology to the girl & family in court several times & said that was what he felt most bad about.

* Before anyone suggests it I'm not in any way sticking up for him - just stating some very poor journalism to make him out in the worst light possible - if there is a worst light! *

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, me being a bit slow here, did he tell the club he was innocent, kept playing and getting a salary until last few weeks when he went guilty?
I'm sure that I heard it reported earlier that he admitted grooming and kissing to the club a year ago. They allowed him to keep playing, and the girl involved suffered all sorts of mental anguish, being called a liar etc. If I have interpreted this correctly, Sunderland don't come out of it well.

SSN is summarising the whole story, and they mentioned Sunderland were criticised in court after Johnson claimed they let him play for them for 10 months after he told the club.

It seems odd that he would admit it to the club while claiming innocence to the courts - what if he had gotten away with it? Would you really reveal that to someone who could take away the 60k a week they've been paying you? Who could use it in future contract discussions? They'd have him over a barrel if he had admitted it to them beforehand.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I just can't get over the level of either arrogance or wilful stupidity involved in making the decision to do something like this. It is beyond belief.

as opposed to the lawyers son , eton pupil who was recently convicted of having over 1500 paedophillic films and images in his possession , films and pictures of children as young as 3 being interfered with and raped .........in my opinion a more disgusting circumstance than a grown man having relations with a 15 year old.......i am not condoning aj 's actions at all but it seems to me that there is one law for one section of society and another set of laws for the other....!! he has been ridiculed and his life is in tatters atm ......personally i think he's been punished enough but hey that's just my opinion....obviously others will differ.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
provisions protecting minors against abuse apply until the age of 18 (under Section 182(1), it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation")

Would possibly suggest otherwise.

You may, as you say, be quoting Wikipedia, but "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation" looks like the basis for a whole lot of loopholes!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
as opposed to the lawyers son , eton pupil who was recently convicted of having over 1500 paedophillic films and images in his possession , films and pictures of children as young as 3 being interfered with and raped .........in my opinion a more disgusting circumstance than a grown man having relations with a 15 year old.......i am not condoning aj 's actions at all but it seems to me that there is one law for one section of society and another set of laws for the other....!! he has been ridiculed and his life is in tatters atm ......personally i think he's been punished enough but hey that's just my opinion....obviously others will differ.

Sorry, which lawyer are you referring to? Johnson's?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Johnson will be forever classed as a sex offender and yet John Peel who shagged a fifteen year old and David Bowie who had sex with thirteen year olds are revered and feted.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agreed and on balance I favour our system although I think the sentencing guidelines are draconian and would prefer more judicial discretion with the usual appeals procedure for lax/OTT sentencing to correct any discrepancies.

The guidelines were introduced to try and ensure that, for a broadly similar offence one would receive a broadly similar sentence. There will always be differences due to individual interpretation but these should be minimised.
It is possible for sentencers to go outside of the guidelines provided that they give sound reasons.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The guidelines were introduced to try and ensure that, for a broadly similar offence one would receive a broadly similar sentence. There will always be differences due to individual interpretation but these should be minimised.
It is possible for sentencers to go outside of the guidelines provided that they give sound reasons.

Fair point I just thought this seemed a bit harsh.

The judge said his preliminary view was that the case falls into the category of a five-year prison sentence with a range of four to 10 years.

Deserves a prison term but his career is over and the stigma will be a life sentence. Interesting to see what he gets.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Johnson will be forever classed as a sex offender and yet John Peel who shagged a fifteen year old and David Bowie who had sex with thirteen year olds are revered and feted.

It's very interesting to see how times have changed. Seventies rock stars (and perhaps some footballers) should be worried, because it was so much more common then. I don't think most people's fundamental values (distaste) have changed, but the courts certainly have changed and now there is no forgiveness. Graham Rix was sentenced to a year for sex with a minor and went back into the coaching staff at Chelsea as soon as he was released...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems he knew exactly what he was doing (and presumably the consequences), so a lot more calculating than the average 17 year old might have been. Afraid I have no sympathy for him - starstruck kids need protection for their own sake. The fact that he almost certainly knew he was risking prison, his relationship, contact with his own newborn and his 60k a week job and future career beggars belief really. Hope it at least acts as a lesson to others.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well. The Suns front page seems a little inappropriate

They really do sum up what it is to be pond life, don't they? It amazes me that anyone, at all, would buy their shitty paper, ever.

They wanted a rhyme for paedo...so dug out an old picture of Johnson in Speedos. Brilliant.

Horrible story, horrible man, horrible paper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here