Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

• Total voters

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I think that even his most ardent critics (whatever happened to Mr Burns ?) would have to agree that he has improved hugely every season he has been here and is still improving. Is that really the sort of player that we should be looking to sell ?

I think he peaked in 2010 / 2011. Apart from his goalscoring record being better then, he was more mobile and didn't fall over in a big heap every time an opponent made any type of contact. Although I have to admit this was the last time he was played alongside an appropriate strike partner so that could well be a factor.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It would be utter, utter madness to let him go without a replacement.

I don't believe the club is so short-termist as to think getting £750,000 in return for no chance of getting to the Premiership could ever translate into 'a good piece of business'.

Just because he hasn't signed a contract here yet doesn't follow he won't at some point in the future.

Seriously, Barnes is NOT THAT important or THAT irreplaceable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, Barnes is NOT THAT important or THAT irreplaceable.

Arguing the point is pointless as there is no right or wrong answer to your question, but I'm pleased 74% of the people who voted on this poll disagree with you.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
IF we had a replacement we could think about it but we don't so no way we can let him go.

If the worst came to the worst as with FFSMurray we would lose £750K but sell him now with no cover and we are out of the promotion race with the near guarantee that many STH's wont renew.

No way is Barnes the deciding factor on whether we are in or out of the promotion race. A ridiculous comment. He would be replaced.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Arguing the point is pointless as there is no right or wrong answer to your question, but I'm pleased 74% of the people who voted on this poll disagree with you.

Yes, I must admit I'm surprised by the percentage you quote given the latest bid we received. I guess it is because many have ZERO faith in our scouts finding a suitable 'replacement' timely. After all, it took about 18 months for us to bring in Ulloa.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, I must admit I'm surprised by the percentage you quote given the latest bid we received. I guess it is because many have ZERO faith in our scouts finding a suitable 'replacement' timely. After all, it took about 18 months for us to bring in Ulloa.

Now we know you are on a wind up. The delay was down to his passport / residency status....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Thank you for being our spokesman, confused Barnes unappreciater.

He is a striker, played best up front alongside someone ( e.g. Murray/Wood). He very, very rarely finds himself up top with someone alongside him. He isn't good enough to lead the line on his own and lets be honest his chance conversion is pretty poor. Is he good enough to get us into the Premiership and keep us there at this moment? No. Thing is he will be in a few years time. I just don't think with us he will get that opportunity. I can see him doing very well at a club like Wolves or Burnley.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Now we know you are on a wind up. The delay was down to his passport / residency status....

No, I'm not. I genuinely believe we should cash in while we have the chance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you for being our spokesman, confused Barnes unappreciater.

I like Barnes. He's good, not great, but we could do a lot worse. I just want us to avoid another Murray debacle. And, no, I am not trying to be anyone's spokesperson. That bit of your post makes no sense. Oh, and I'm not confused either. I have an opinion contrary to yours; that doesn't make me confused, does it!?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No way is Barnes the deciding factor on whether we are in or out of the promotion race. A ridiculous comment. He would be replaced.

For £750K I would be fascinated to know who people have in mind to replace Barnes who remains our leading scorer. Barnes, based on actual results so far, has the ability to both score and create goals That - in a comparatively low scoring team - is unarguable.

For a relative pittance that will be very very hard to replicate so to glibly say "he will be replaced" simply highlights an extraordinary and somewhat irrational bias.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If we can retain Barnes for a reasonable wage then it is a no brainer but what none of us know is what other clubs are prepared to pay Barnes over what we have offered. Given how regularly Barnes features for us I would imagine the club have offered him a deal that is in line with that contribution and the wage structure at the club. Ultimately it will be down to Barnes as to where he sees his future and is he does not sign with us then I think we are left with no option to cash in.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For £750K I would be fascinated to know who people have in mind to replace Barnes who remains our leading scorer. Barnes, based on actual results so far, has the ability to both score and create goals That - in a comparatively low scoring team - is unarguable.

For a relative pittance that will be very very hard to replicate so to glibly say "he will be replaced" simply highlights an extraordinary and somewhat irrational bias.

The club are, thankfully, not so unprofessional as to rely on NSC as our scouting network though.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If we can retain Barnes for a reasonable wage then it is a no brainer but what none of us know is what other clubs are prepared to pay Barnes over what we have offered. Given how regularly Barnes features for us I would imagine the club have offered him a deal that is in line with that contribution and the wage structure at the club. Ultimately it will be down to Barnes as to where he sees his future and is he does not sign with us then I think we are left with no option to cash in.[/QUOTE]

We don't even have that option, it is now up to Barnes if we get any money or not. We can try to sell him, but he can just see out his contract talking to other clubs all the time about his signing on fee and wages as a free agent. We have learnt nothing from the loss of Murray.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We don't even have that option, it is now up to Barnes if we get any money or not. We can try to sell him, but he can just see out his contract talking to other clubs all the time about his signing on fee and wages as a free agent. We have learnt nothing from the loss of Murray.

Murray wanted to stay but we couldn't or wouldn't match his demands. Poyet, was IMO, not a big fan and probably had a big big part in Murray leaving. I didn't believe his bluster, once it became apparent that he had fecked up, about two different pots for wages and transfers.

I get the impression that Oscar is a Barnes fan so it's not the same as the Murray situation IMO, at the moment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we can get 1 million, yes then sell. I like Ashley Barnes as a player, a lot, but at some stage we need to take a big fee for him.

Sell now for 1 million, or in 2-3 years time for hopefully 2 million?

Personnally, I'd take the cash now and evolve the team.

How many 1 million pound players have we ever sold ? ( Zamora, Bennett.. ? ? ??? ).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If we can get 1 million, yes then sell. I like Ashley Barnes as a player, a lot, but at some stage we need to take a big fee for him.

Sell now for 1 million, or in 2-3 years time for hopefully 2 million?

Personnally, I'd take the cash now and evolve the team.

How many 1 million pound players have we ever sold ? ( Zamora, Bennett.. ? ? ??? ).

We'll get nothing for him if he doesn't sign a new contract soon.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Instead he has done exactly the right thing and forced the management to take him seriously by consistently producing the goalscoring goods.

5 goals in 22 appearances this season (includes 4 sub appearances, and 1 penalty). Doesn't include numerous chances missed, one of which my wife commented that she could have scored!

1 million pounds for an average championship striker with six months left on his contract, and seemingly not interested in signing a new one, before being a free agent? Glad TH ain't our chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here