AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Economy 7 for us with storage heaters.
Have to heat up overnight then come down in morning to the tropics :salute:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Just realised I feel warm, but all the radiators are individually turned off, having turned the heating on. A placebo effect.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Whilst we're on the subject. I purchased a house in April and it quickly became apparent having called a plumber out that we have a somewhat archaic system in place. To cut a long story short the heating will not work unless the hot water tank is fully heated. To rectify this problem is not cheap so I will live with it until such time as the boiler packs in and I'm forced to replace it.

Anyway, to manage this my intention is to have the hot water on 24/7 whilst setting the heating on a timer, enabling the heating to kick in immediately.

Now as far as energy bills go I've had a number of people (including my plumber) say that it's actually cheaper to leave your hot water on constant. Something about reheating repetition resulting in the boiler working harder.

I get this theory however I am far from convinced that having it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is going to lead to anything other than one almighty gas bill.

Can anyone prove/disprove this theory?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Whilst we're on the subject. I purchased a house in April and it quickly became apparent having called a plumber out that we have a somewhat archaic system in place. To cut a long story short the heating will not work unless the hot water tank is fully heated. To rectify this problem is not cheap so I will live with it until such time as the boiler packs in and I'm forced to replace it.

Anyway, to manage this my intention is to have the hot water on 24/7 whilst setting the heating on a timer, enabling the heating to kick in immediately.

Now as far as energy bills go I've had a number of people (including my plumber) say that it's actually cheaper to leave your hot water on constant. Something about reheating repetition resulting in the boiler working harder.

I get this theory however I am far from convinced that having it on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is going to lead to anything other than one almighty gas bill.

Can anyone prove/disprove this theory?

Well we had a new boiler fitted a year or so ago and the thing is always on but just set to a thermostat, its on all the time and in winter its going on and off all day just topping up the heat. The whole house is always warm so we never come home to a cold house . Bills have been cheaper as well!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There's this amazing new device called a thermostat. You set it to a comfortable temperature and it never drops below it. You should get one. Things that are on more often are less likely to break too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here