Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sounds a perfect campaign chief for Corbyn. Should stick to tennis.

Jeremy Corbyn’s new election campaign chief is the infamous communist and Stop the War chair Andrew Murray. A member of the Communist Party of Britain (pro-Stalin, pro-Soviet faction) until a few months ago, Murray is an apologist for Stalin who has defended the Soviet Union, supported North Korea and downplayed the Paris terrorist attacks.

Last year, Murray was introduced by Corbyn at a panel event in which he downplayed the terrorist attacks in Paris. He said:

“The barbarism we condemn in Paris is minute compared to the barbarism wrought by imperialism across the planet in the last 13 years and we must condemn that… It is a sad lesson we have to re-learn from the attacks in Paris, it needs bringing home again and again.”

After Corbyn had become Labour leader, Murray told the Guardian he would be staying in the Communist Party because of his commitment to the ideology:

“All my children are in the Labour party. All four. One has been in the Labour party a long time; the other three are all there as a result of Jeremy’s surge. But, no: I’m a member of the Communist party. That’s where I am. Communism still represents, in my view, a society worth working towards – albeit not by the methods of the 20th century, which failed.”

In order to join Labour and start working in its party HQ, Murray has gone back on this commitment and quit the Communist Party.

https://order-order.com/2017/05/15/andrew-murrays-greatest-hits/

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
All the sensible labour voters buggered off to UKIP and now over to the Tories.

Well, for the sake of democracy in this country, whichever party is in power, it is important to have a strong opposition to hold the Government of the day to account.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You are probably right that 'hard' Brexit is the only option at this stage. That is absolutely NOT what ALL Leave voters explicitly voted for though, which is what pastaboy was claiming. Prominent spokespeople on the Leave side repeatedly claimed the goal was something very different.

To be fair, at the time most people who voted leave did not know about hard or soft , the campaign was run dreadfully on both sides, a mass of spin and lies, no clear setting out of the facts of what could or will happen, but it did not really matter, those that wanted to leave were going to anyway despite the implications, maybe only now some are regretting it because the debate has now moved to hard and soft, trouble is that those that are regretting it will not admit to it, too much loss of face.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
To be fair, at the time most people who voted leave did not know about hard or soft , the campaign was run dreadfully on both sides, a mass of spin and lies, no clear setting out of the facts of what could or will happen, but it did not really matter, those that wanted to leave were going to anyway despite the implications, maybe only now some are regretting it because the debate has now moved to hard and soft, trouble is that those that are regretting it will not admit to it, too much loss of face.

Of those that were of a leave point of view many would be aware that leaving the EU meant leaving it all, single market, customs union, the clutches of the ECJ and freedom of movement. It wasn't the leavers that were ill informed, it was remainers. I don't know any leave voter regretting their choice at all. There may be some out there but they don't add up to a figure that will stop Brexit and what that means. Have a good Friday night.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Of those that were of a leave point of view many would be aware that leaving the EU meant leaving it all, single market, customs union, the clutches of the ECJ and freedom of movement. It wasn't the leavers that were ill informed, it was remainers. I don't know any leave voter regretting their choice at all. There may be some out there but they don't add up to a figure that will stop Brexit and what that means. Have a good Friday night.

Hopefully the backsliding has not started.....

Plans to leave the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and end the European Court of Human Rights’ jurisdiction over Britain have been scrapped in the Conservative Party manifesto. The document, titled ‘Forward, Together‘, does rule out incorporating the European Union’s Charter of Fundamental Rights into UK law, but also confirms that a Tory Government “will not repeal or replace the Human Rights Act while the process of Brexit is underway”.

It also confirms that the party would “remain signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights
for the duration of the next parliament”.

Whilst the ECHR and the European Court of Human Rights are not technically European Union institutions, previous governments have indicated that they are an essential component of EU membership in practice.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We need to see what deal the other 27 give us, and then we need to ask the people if they want to go for it, that will settle the argument once and for all.

But the Tories don't want parliament to decide, they don't want you and I to decide, then want the Tory party to decide our destiny for decades to come

Neither of the mains parties and offering this, shame on them for letting our kids and grand kids down.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
We need to see what deal the other 27 give us, and then we need to ask the people if they want to go for it, that will settle the argument once and for all.

But the Tories don't want parliament to decide, they don't want you and I to decide, then want the Tory party to decide our destiny for decades to come

Neither of the mains parties and offering this, shame on them for letting our kids and grand kids down.

I did decide. 23rd June 2016

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hopefully the backsliding has not started.....

Plans to leave the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and end the European Court of Human Rights’ jurisdiction over Britain have been scrapped in the Conservative Party manifesto. The document, titled ‘Forward, Together‘, does rule out incorporating the European Union’s Charter of Fundamental Rights into UK law, but also confirms that a Tory Government “will not repeal or replace the Human Rights Act while the process of Brexit is underway”.

It also confirms that the party would “remain signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights
for the duration of the next parliament”.

Whilst the ECHR and the European Court of Human Rights are not technically European Union institutions, previous governments have indicated that they are an essential component of EU membership in practice.

Faisal Islam spotted that very quickly yesterday and I pointed it out on here. He said on Sky News the lack of mention of The ECJ explicitly in the manifesto was significant, in his opinion.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not on the destination, but the destination will be so good, what's to fear?

"Make no mistake, the central challenge we face is negotiating the best deal for Britain in Europe. If we fail, the consequences for Britain and for the economic security of ordinary working people will be dire. If we succeed, the opportunities ahead of us are great."

It would appear there is something to fear though, our strong and stable leader has said so.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
"Make no mistake, the central challenge we face is negotiating the best deal for Britain in Europe. If we fail, the consequences for Britain and for the economic security of ordinary working people will be dire. If we succeed, the opportunities ahead of us are great."

It would appear there is something to fear though, our strong and stable leader has said so.

She did, and if it all goes wrong all the blame will rest on the Tories. Massive gamble for them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

From part of a Guardian piece

The country was facing its gravest crisis since the Battle of Britain and what it needed was a strong and stable leader with a strong and stable plan. She was rather hazy about what that plan might be, because that was on a need-to-know basis. And the country didn’t need to know. It just needed to close its eyes and puts its trust in the strong and stable leadership of the Supreme Leader. She alone could get the best Brexit deal, even if that deal turned out not to be to have a deal. Because no deal was better than no deal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Keep up. The Tory manifesto confirmed that the final deal will be voted on by parliament.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are probably right that 'hard' Brexit is the only option at this stage. That is absolutely NOT what ALL Leave voters explicitly voted for though, which is what pastaboy was claiming. Prominent spokespeople on the Leave side repeatedly claimed the goal was something very different.

I suspect that (Remain voter) May and many others wanted a deal with the EU that was not hard Brexit. In the phoney war, our policians, economists and journalists weighed up the pros and cons of the Norwegian and Swiss models. But latterly, once the Council of Europe and Juncker made continued unbridled freedom of movement a prequisitive to any deal, the fate was sealed as far as the UK was concerned that hard Brexit was the only way forward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one point the Daily Mirror keeps harping about is the 10m who will no longer qualify for heating allowance as they dont need it. I agree with it and believe the people who should be eligible are those receiving pension credit or similar assistance. I wish that they could ensure that those living abroad also didnt get it. Perhaps they should say that you only qualify if you pay council tax or receive a credit for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here