Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous peoples deaths that have shaken you up?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
At the time Jimi, Janis and Jim was a triple whammy, though I guess on reflection not a shock, but at time was devastating, I'd seen Jimi at IOW and Doors too. For 'shock' 'suprise' element I'd say Princess Di, Robin Williams, Lennon and Rick Mayall

Lady Di, not due to being a particular Royalist but mainly due to the circumstances. And I do think it was a genuine accident.

Although not an enormous Bowie fan listening to some his stuff today (including some I had never heard before) has left me thinking that I should listen to more of his output.

Would it be accurate to say that depending whether things occured pre or post Social Media may make a difference. As a huge Thin Lizzy fan I don't recall being upset at Phil Lynott's early passing.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Layne Staley for me, Alice in Chains are one of my favourite bands and when ever I listen to them I just wished he was still here making music.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Princess Diana without a doubt also had me very very angry too.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Without wishing to be supercilious in any shape or form I find it difficult unless I have met that particular person. I have wrapped myself in the glory of recently deceased persons' work but at the same time not turned it into a time for me where I 'cried my eyes out' since that will be happening with the close friends and family.
Death for famous folk and artists should be treated with respect and celebrated for what they have contributed and left for us to enjoy for eternity, not for me to wear black and feel sorry for myself.
That happens far to often with folks I know only too well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's a few - JFK, Hendrix, Keith Moon - but the biggest shocker for me has to be John Lennon.

All of those were genuine shocks. Not sure how anybody could be that shocked by Marley or Mercury, they were terminally ill for quite a while before they died.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
JFK
Lennon
Diana
John Smith

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Cliff Burton, the original bass player for Metallica. It was 1986 I was 19 and mad about rock music and they'd burst into prominence with "Master of Puppets" and I'd become a big fan of theirs through that and their two previous albums. In September I saw - with my brother and friends - them do a storming gig at Hammersmith Odeon, one I hoped would be the first of many times I saw them. Cliff was a cool dude on bass, who made a virtue of having no image and not seeking the limelight. A few short days later their tour bus skidded off the road in Sweden in the middle of the night, Cliff was thrown from his sleeping bunk out of a window and the bus landed on him, killing him right away. He was 24. Just brutal. I was relieved when the band decided to carry on, but would have understood if they couldn't.

That's probably the one that "shook me up" the most, but others that have affected me, possibly more than I thought they would were, Kurt Cobain, John Peel, Robin Cook, Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), Rik Mayall and recently Lemmy - although he had a very good run for someone with his lifestyle so it was sadness at loss of an icon not shock - and today Bowie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here