Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are albion unable to take the final step and ever get promotion to the PL ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not too down actually.

The key is Tony seeing off bids for Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert and Goldson.

And giving Bruno another year.

If Dunk is sold then put the profits towards a decent striker.

We've got a big summer ahead and we simply must not sell off our best players.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I'm sure Tony Bloom will accept the £9/10 million you want to give him, so what's stopping you?

That isn't the point I am making though is it El Pres....

I am not asking Tony to stump up the cash, the thread title is asking why can't we get promotion to the Premier League. I am suggesting this is due to the lack of a 25 goal a season striker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I am not asking Tony to stump up the cash, the thread title is asking why can't we get promotion to the Premier League. I am suggesting this is due to the lack of a 25 goal a season striker.

If that was the criteria, then most seasons NOBODY would go up. How does that work??

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012

PS: Jordan Rhodes scored one fewer goal than Tomer Hemed this season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Fair point.

Having said that, the players who have scored the most goals in this division since Jan 1st were Gary Hooper...........and Tomer Hemed.

Finding a scorer of 25 goals is a tough ask though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rhodes scored important goals at important times against the better teams in the division. In the tight games they had the cutting edge due to their firepower.

None of this is remotely true. You're simply making it all up.

Rhodes scored 6 goals for Boro, in 18 appearances.
He scored his SIX goals against Mk Dons, QPR, Bolton, Bolton, Burnley and Birmingham.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Bizarrely I felt for sometime during the season that we were punching well above our weight and that on paper we were a top half team and not sure of . I was proved wrong and when you look at the team now and assume it remains broadly the same, I think we genuinely are better and will remain better than most of the other clubs now.

Newcastle and Norwich will be tough, Villa I think have a deeper malaise and I don't think they will be that strong. I hope Hull go up as I think SW are less potent despite our average record against them. Cardiff, Ipswich should be there, as could Wolves but our lads are at least as good as these on an average day and when playing at top level have been loads better.

If the team can win two or three more games then it does not matter if they lose two or three - it's a better points average than six draws - and if we had managed that this season we would have been up. It's worth saying as well that if the atmosphere was more like last night more often then we might well achieve a bit more. We can do our bit as well to make next season the one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure about. 25 goal striker but we do need at least two fit young big skilful forwards who know where the net is. We had one reasonably fit and one injury prone old timer this year who missed the important run in completely. They both did well but just look at the centre forward striking options of the teams that went up and are in the playoffs and tell me that all of them weren't considerably stronger in strength in depth. I still maintain that we fell down by not addressing this is January

Cue the " we tried for Murray" " quality players won't come to sit on the bench" comments. It doesn't detract from the fact that this is what finally did for us. Not enough centre forward options to score the goals set up by the wingers. I really hope we sort this out early next season, if we do and can keep the nucleus of the squad together with a few additions I think we can avoid all this playoff shit next year.

WanderingUSA

May 7, 2016
I reckon we are still suffering form Burke running the recruitment, but is there any other deeper, intrinsic reason why we can't make that final step ?

Hi Blue,

Three seasons ago when we beat you in the play offs, I bet you one hundred pounds that Brighton would not be promoted in three seasons. Time to pay up, money to REMF please. Thanks EDS

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hi Blue,

Three seasons ago when we beat you in the play offs, I bet you one hundred pounds that Brighton would not be promoted in three seasons. Time to pay up, money to REMF please. Thanks EDS

Ouch.

[MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] - you're welcome to use my REMF match link (in my signature). I can verify to [MENTION=34350]WanderingUSA[/MENTION]

#opportunism

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hi Blue,

Yes indeed. It'll be paid by the end of this month.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ouch.

[MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] - you're welcome to use my REMF match link (in my signature). I can verify to [MENTION=34350]WanderingUSA[/MENTION]

#opportunism
OK, that makes it easy. Will do so on payday ( 31st ).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
:thumbsup:

Dont pay it all in one go if it will leave you short, fifty and fifty or however you want to do it. :thumbsup:
Cheers. But might as well do it in one hit on 31st.

*Should have remembered to hedge this one last night*

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I reckon we are still suffering form Burke running the recruitment, but is there any other deeper, intrinsic reason why we can't make that final step ?

Not at all - many teams have struggled to 'make the step' - look at Grimsby from Vanarama but they have finally done it. The margins are so fine in football that some are bound to 'get lucky' and some are bound not to. I always think there is something in the England psyche that defies us getting near repeating 1966 but dont think same can be said for a club team.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
. I still maintain that we fell down by not addressing this is January

Since the January window shut we scored 8 more goals than any other team in the league, had a +24 goal difference and lost 1 game. and racked up 11 more points than Sheff Weds, 12 more points than Hull and 5 more than Boro. and had the top scorer in the entire league for that period.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Since the January window shut we scored 8 more goals than any other team in the league, had a +24 goal difference and lost 1 game. and racked up 11 more points than Sheff Weds, 12 more points than Hull and 5 more than Boro. and had the top scorer in the entire league for that period.

You miss my point completely, I don't care how many we scored from other parts of the field we are light on centre forwards. If we'd had one last night I suggest we would have romped that game. I never said we needed one player to score all our goals, it's not rocket science to suggest we need more than one big centre forward in the squad. We haven't had that option for months now.

I'm not going to let you convince me otherwise, we need another big striker :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here