Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seeing Trump this morning, I wonder if we've all been worried about nothing, he's just going to be the same as the rest of them isn't he? He's already forgotten about all his BS promises. He's supposed to be putting Clinton in prison, but he's saying the country owe her a debt of gratitude instead. The wall he's supposed to be building has been cancelled.

I get the feeling he's just going to be a mouthy muppet, not do anything significant, and be satisfied that people will always call him mr president.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This is going to be the 2nd time Clinton will feel cheated.

Well at least we wont be marching into war with Iran or having a nuclear war with Russia. Personally, I thought Clinton was the more evil of the two.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Seeing Trump this morning, I wonder if we've all been worried about nothing, he's just going to be the same as the rest of them isn't he? He's already forgotten about all his BS promises. He's supposed to be putting Clinton in prison, but he's saying the country owe her a debt of gratitude instead. The wall he's supposed to be building has been cancelled.

I get the feeling he's just going to be a mouthy muppet, not do anything significant, and be satisfied that people will always call him mr president.

Agree with everything you say. Nothing major will change..He will also break many promises.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't Trump going to rip up the recent deal with Iran? Or is he already backtracking ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Let's be completely clear about this though, if Brexit wasn't warning enough then I think last night is the ultimate wake up call for establishment politics. There are huge swathes of both the UK and the USA who feel completely ignored. Whether the decisions they have made are beneficial to their cause is actually irrelevant.

France and Germany are up next to the polls as well I think. Could see some interesting outcomes there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You clearly have no clue what the ' Establishment ' means. It is a power brokerage. A cabal. Largely unseen but enormously powerful and influential. It attempts to ensure that the status quo is maintained. Farage is not a member of this exclusive club and rails against their motives and their agenda. Public school, a job in the City and previously being a member of the Conservative party doesn't make him Establishment. They don't want any change to the system. It benefits them and rewards them.
You need to develop a little more understanding of how power is wielded before making rather silly comments like this.

Farage is establishment, the public face of it at least. No amount of talk of secret cabals, unseen and all powerful will change that. These unseen powers you whisper of can easily be looked up on official websites, most of them are parent umbrella companies and are staked by little known billionaires. They don't openly discuss their business but they are easy enough to find out about. I'm sure you think I'm ignorant of another secret level. It can't be that unseen if a wally like you knows about them.
In fact any yin yang on the planet with access to google and ten minutes to spare can research them.

Farage is archetypal establishment. What you speak of is beyond establishment, something different altogether. You have clearly misunderstood the term "Establishment".

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

President, PM, you're just the public image of the team behind you. Nothing you say or do is a product of your own thinking.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, I called this one a bit wrong. :down:

I was up at 3:30am to have a quick check in and make sure everything was proceeding as planned. Obviously, it wasn't. So I stayed up and watched the nightmare scenario unfold, and now we have President Donald J Trump. Incredible result, and now a real test of the orange fella. Will he build the wall? Will he stop Muslims entering the country? Will he deport bad hombres? Will he appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary? Will he repeal the Affordable Care Act?

I suspect he won't do any of these things, which almost certainly guarantees that he will.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And the Democratic Party for failing to see which way the wind was blowing. Bernie Sanders would have beaten Trump convincingly.

I'm actually in two minds. I think Trump is a sociopath, there's no conceivable way I could have voted for him and probably would have ended up voting Clinton, whilst pinching my nose hard.

However, if somehow Trump were able to soften the edges of some of his more bizarre policy positions, it might be interesting to see what a President virtually unencumbered by patronage might be able to do.

Let's be completely clear about this though, if Brexit wasn't warning enough then I think last night is the ultimate wake up call for establishment politics. There are huge swathes of both the UK and the USA who feel completely ignored. Whether the decisions they have made are beneficial to their cause is actually irrelevant.

Absolutely. But will the Bubble take heed? Somehow I doubt it. And last week's farce, whereby the process was dressed up as principle, will further ensure alienation, however "right" the constitutional experts are.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There's a lot of truth in what you say but all that's happening hear is that the likes of Trump and Farage are tapping in to that disenfranchisement to further their own interests. It may be a different establishment and elite, but it's still the establishment and still the elite. So I agree with your analysis of how we've ended up at this point but if we truly wanted a break from self interested elitism, why are the likes Corbyn and Sanders not marching their way to power right now? All that's actually happening is the general dissatisfaction with the status quo and the version of capitalism we live is leading, sadly, with a lurch to the right and the persecution of foreigners.

History shows that this does not end well.

Sanders and Corbyn's biggest hurdles are how they are viewed by their own Parliamentary Parties. Trump did what he did despite the Republican Party not because of it, ditto Brexit and mainstream UK Political Parties.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You clearly have no clue what the ' Establishment ' means. It is a power brokerage. A cabal. Largely unseen but enormously powerful and influential. It attempts to ensure that the status quo is maintained. Farage is not a member of this exclusive club and rails against their motives and their agenda. Public school, a job in the City and previously being a member of the Conservative party doesn't make him Establishment. They don't want any change to the system. It benefits them and rewards them.
You need to develop a little more understanding of how power is wielded before making rather silly comments like this.

The-Borrowers.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You realise this is the exact argument Trump used, right?

"The world is broken, you're all being lied to, you're all being treated unfairly and I am the only one who can help you".

That may well be the case, but it does not detract from my point -you are not saying otherwise, I appreciate. It just shows the alienation that millions feel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here