Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fan here

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Your best source, is wrong there. He did that before the Palace game on Paddys day. Tony Bloom confirmed this.

He asked to leave before the Palace game in March not the playoff. Source Tony Bloom.

I am well aware of that but he did the same thing again but this time wanted his contract paid up.

My best source could not have been closer to our chairman if he was his brother.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Stopped reading after this massive inaccuracy. He disappeared for about 5 minutes.

Poyet was by far the best manager of my Albion supporting career, but towards the end of his tenure he did get very tiresome. Talking about how 'big' Leeds were and how he would love to manage them in a vital game at the end of the season when we were looking to cement a play off spot, allegedly turning up 45 minutes before the 2nd leg of the play off semi final, the 'ceiling' remark, and what now transpires as clubs are recording their companies house accounts, as lying about our budget. In my mind, he progressed the Albion massively, and when I hear the other 2 names that were competing for the Brighton job when he got it, I am glad we got him.

He will always be a successful person I feel, down to his nature and kind of person he is, but he is so ambitious, and really, all he wants is the Chelsea/Spurs job. Anything else is a stepping stone, and he isn't afraid to show it or say it.
Poyets record as a manager with us was, Division One winner. That's it, nothing more. The same as Pat Saward, Micky Adams Charlie Webb. He had some money to use, he inherited the makings of a good team left by Slade. But his behaviour was appalling, getting involved in the Suarez affair, he became the media target whenever they wanted a 'bette noir' comment. He will do the same with Sunderland and reminds me of one of those fireworks that sits on the ground fizzing for a while and then fades away. I am sure that his departure with Sunderland will be acrimonious. No respect at all for him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Poyets record as a manager with us was, Division One winner. That's it, nothing more. The same as Pat Saward, Micky Adams Charlie Webb. He had some money to use, he inherited the makings of a good team left by Slade. But his behaviour was appalling, getting involved in the Suarez affair, he became the media target whenever they wanted a 'bette noir' comment. He will do the same with Sunderland and reminds me of one of those fireworks that sits on the ground fizzing for a while and then fades away. I am sure that his departure with Sunderland will be acrimonious. No respect at all for him.

Football now is VERY different to how it was then. I'd rather look at it based on performances and the change with the team in a short space of time, and HOW we won League One, and settled into the Championship, than just trophies and medals.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Once he gets his feet right under the table, gets a bit of success and thinks he has the fans in his pocket, he will want to run the club at all levels and will throw his toys out of the pram if he doesn't get his own way. He left us at the right time 'cos he would have been unbearable for the club if he had got us into the premiership.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously with the draw comes the chance that Poyet will face his old club, and I was reading through here to see what the general consensus was on that. It seems that you, lets just say, don't like our manager much. But I was wondering why exactly? I never really read much into the situation that got him sacked (all I recall was an incident in Crystal Palace's dressing room in the play-offs?) and have no real idea on what terms he left. Just wondering, any insight would be appreciated.

Good luck tomorrow by the way, hopefully you can upset Bruce a bit for us.

Let's turn this on it's head. Sunderland sacked Steve Bruce so you could be facing him in the next round. How do you feel about your ex manager?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hmm, ok, but I think chairman and boards look at results. Poyets style is a subjective matter.

Poyet didn't get sacked for his results though?

And he seems to be doing well enough at Sunderland. Guided them to a final within a few months of being at Sunderland, done the double over their rivals, and has a reasonable chance of another Wembley final. I'm not sure ANYONE can doubt Poyets achievements and success as a manager. Not without needing the men in white jackets

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
He asked to leave before the Palace game in March not the playoff. Source Tony Bloom.

Looking back and based on what is in the public domain I am in the 'good riddance' camp. Yes managers come and go in footie and it is an industry with a perversely warped sense of right and wrong but I feel it was especially treacherous of Poyet to demand he be released and be paid handsomely for his trouble too.

Many Chairmen would have sent him on his way and just got on with finding an immediate replacement. However I am very proud that we have a Chairman who has a clear moral compass, would not be bullied and rightly expected Gus to honour his contract at least until the end of the season. I suspect that wasn't what Gus had in mind and inevitably led to a flash point in which Gus blinked first, with his emotional and irrational outburst after the playoffs.

It would be naïve to expect that Gus would not invite one or two players to follow him, especially to a Premiership club but the protracted Bridcutt saga was distasteful. I really hope that Buckley and Ulloa haven't had their heads turned either.

I now reflect on who looks more dignified and is to be respected - TB or Gus - well there is only one answer. If anything TB's reputation in football is even stronger - and Gus's will forever be tarnished. OK he is enjoying a decent honeymoon period at Sunderland - but when his bubble bursts it will be very sudden, quite possibly at a critical time for them and won't be pretty.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Gus Poyet is a great manager and promoted us to the position we are now. But his head was turned at a critical time in our season. The team lost the game against our fiercest rivals but it was the way he conducted himself before and after the game was too much for the chairman...board....majority of the fans to swallow.
You can almost see into the future and be certain a scenario akin to ours will happen at Sunderland when Chelsea come calling!
I agree with most of what you say except if Chelsea were to call; They have a history of compensating other football clubs to generally an agreeable level. Had we been compensated how things would have been different in his leaving instead of all this animosity. I think i'll just enjoy tomorrow and leave to later thinking over how to react to his return!!!!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Poyet didn't get sacked for his results though?

And he seems to be doing well enough at Sunderland. Guided them to a final within a few months of being at Sunderland, done the double over their rivals, and has a reasonable chance of another Wembley final. I'm not sure ANYONE can doubt Poyets achievements and success as a manager. Not without needing the men in white jackets

Maybe not, but up until the home win over Palace our form was not good in terms of winning. As for his current situation, he's won nothing yet and is languishing in the relegation zone. lets wait and see and at the end of the season we will have a definitive answer.

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
Didn't think I'd have this many replies, so I'll try and reply to most of you!

[MENTION=5542]Horsham Gull[/MENTION] - Bridcutt looks good so far, he came in and did brilliantly in the derby, so I have no doubts he'll be a good player for us. Looks to me like he's everything that Lee Cattermole has been trying to be this season (obviously better though, don't think I'm comparing the two!)

[MENTION=18944]cunningplan[/MENTION] - I'm under no illusions that Poyet will be with us for a huge amount of time, he'll undoubtedly move on to bigger and better things soon.

[MENTION=26606]Brighton Mod[/MENTION] - I didn't know many of those things, but I can see how that would annoy you!

[MENTION=14747]redneb[/MENTION] - From the moment I saw your team I thought it was a mistake. You have no game for a week and are completely safe in the league, should have gone full strength and smashed us, now you'd have a brilliant opportunity to get to Wembley and maybe get into Europe. Saying that you should have at least drawn with the team that played, Lambert would score there 99/100 times, we were just lucky to be the 1 that he missed. Much the same as the Capital One Cup game I'd say, just with a screamer from Gardner and no horrific misses.

[MENTION=18491]Seagull over Canaryland[/MENTION] - I agree, I would have thought he'd be respectful or not say anything at all regarding Brighton, hopefully I'm proved right if you win tomorrow.

[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] - We didn't much like him after he got sacked because of how bad we were doing in the league, but after he spoke about how we had it in for him for day one because he was from Newcastle (which is complete b*llocks, we have a statue of a Geordie outside our stadium) and generally slagged us off at any given opportunity, we're of the unanimous opinion that he is an absolute w*nker.

Don't know if all those @ things will work, but hey, I tried!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Didn't think I'd have this many replies, so I'll try and reply to most of you!

[MENTION=5542]Horsham Gull[/MENTION] - Bridcutt looks good so far, he came in and did brilliantly in the derby, so I have no doubts he'll be a good player for us. Looks to me like he's everything that Lee Cattermole has been trying to be this season (obviously better though, don't think I'm comparing the two!)

[MENTION=18944]cunningplan[/MENTION] - I'm under no illusions that Poyet will be with us for a huge amount of time, he'll undoubtedly move on to bigger and better things soon.

[MENTION=26606]Brighton Mod[/MENTION] - I didn't know many of those things, but I can see how that would annoy you!

[MENTION=14747]redneb[/MENTION] - From the moment I saw your team I thought it was a mistake. You have no game for a week and are completely safe in the league, should have gone full strength and smashed us, now you'd have a brilliant opportunity to get to Wembley and maybe get into Europe. Saying that you should have at least drawn with the team that played, Lambert would score there 99/100 times, we were just lucky to be the 1 that he missed. Much the same as the Capital One Cup game I'd say, just with a screamer from Gardner and no horrific misses.

[MENTION=18491]Seagull over Canaryland[/MENTION] - I agree, I would have thought he'd be respectful or not say anything at all regarding Brighton, hopefully I'm proved right if you win tomorrow.

[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] - We didn't much like him after he got sacked because of how bad we were doing in the league, but after he spoke about how we had it in for him for day one because he was from Newcastle (which is complete b*llocks, we have a statue of a Geordie outside our stadium) and generally slagged us off at any given opportunity, we're of the unanimous opinion that he is an absolute w*nker.

Don't know if all those @ things will work, but hey, I tried!

hey, thanks for that, football is a subjective game, its my opinion.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Get ready for him to bale on you for Spurs the day after he oversees a loss to Newcastle, after sitting in the dugout for the entire second half with his arms folded :)

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
As someone said on another thread.......if he Keeps you up this season , then expect to see him leading out spurs first game of next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here