Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee shop culture - how long do you spend in Costa etc ?

Do you spend a lot of time with or without your family in these ?

• Tax avoiding Starbucks ? (Allegedly)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Costa - good reward scheme ?

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Nero - strange reward scheme ?

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • The one that was Ray Blooms Good Bean ( name escapes me) ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small Batch a little bitter tasting perhaps ?

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Presuming Ed a little pretentious for its location maybe ?

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Nescafé ?

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Caffe Nero fans in this household. Mrs P A is never happier & it is cheaper than going to a bar.

Iindependants are, in my experience, of uncertain quality & around here they closed up for ages after Christmas. At least you know what to expect at a chain

Coffee, the drink that sustains, stimulates and makes the world seem a better place....:clap:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Costa is my drug of choice.
Caffe Nero and Starbucks are both tax dodgers so I don't use them.
Up to 40 minutes relaxing with a nice cup of coffee reading a newspaper is good for me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If I had to choose a chain it would be Pret. This is because the food is fresh- or at least tastes fresher. For some reason though they don't do large take aways as in for drinks.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Costa are EXTREMELY hot on their audits and taking away franchises if they fail so you can be sure a Costa is done to their specifications if you have one. Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Costa are EXTREMELY hot on their audits and taking away franchises if they fail so you can be sure a Costa is done to their specifications if you have one. Whether you like it or not is a different matter.

Costa don't do franchises?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Costa don't do franchises?

Tesco's Eastbourne they do
love M&S flat white nearly as good as Starbucks ...............but until they start paying the proper taxes I will give them a miss

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I like Costa. The coffee isn't brilliant but the staff are friendly. I hate Starbucks with the asking your name thing.
But you can have fun with that, calling yourself Xexes, Aslan, Thor or Ming The Mercilless etc. :rock:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Never. Nope never. Would never. Never will. Why. Coffee is 20p cup so why pay £3 for a frothy thing. No chance, never. I've stood outside once and used their wi/fi though!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont drink much but has to be Nero by preference. as far as im aware their reward scheme is to give you decent, strong coffee in exchange for £2.10. Starbucks are the worst, watery, bland brown liquid.

about 10 years late with the "are coffee shops the new pubs" question, and the answer is yes for a lot of people.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I use this place

"Perhaps Ralf Rüller – who has banned pushchairs and prams from his Berlin café – is really on to something. Far from being the "socially incorrect affront to families" that critics have labelled his policy, the idea of a pushchair-free cafe sounds quite brilliant."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/oct/12/no-babyccinos-berlin-cafe-pushchair-ban

Did you read the article? Does that make you one of the "smug, tedious, needlessly-reverent, jazz xylophone-playing, coffee-fetishising hipster dullards that have taken the place of the pushchairs"?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I usually try and use a smaller place, non-chain, if possible. There was a place in Bermondsey near where I used to live called ****offe. I liked going there because of the name. But I don't mind using any of them really. Maybe if I was given a choice of Starbucks or Costa I would choose Costa because of Starbucks tax arrangement, but who is to say if Costa's is any better? The biggest thing is when they charge over, or almost, £3 for a coffee. That is what would stop me going someplace.

What I want to know is when there is going to be a backlash against all the places charging embarrassingly high prices for a coffee, a place that sells £1 drinkable coffee rather than a £3 organic, hand picked by the virgins of Colombia, style affair. That's where I would go.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Neither me or Mrs Igzilla will use the large chains, always try to use local cafes where our money has the best chance of helping the local economy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here