Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus after liam + will

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The times tend to be right more than they're wrong so it could be good bye to Liam which is a shame however we've done pretty well this season without him for the most part and we were always likely to have to sell him at some point so c'est la vie

Gus has to sell to buy remember.

So no deal will happen until he has raised £2.5-3m in sales (according to half the people posting on this thread).

Aug 23, 2011
If Sunderland have bid, given the number of teams allegedly interested, it might spark a bidding war and I'm sure we'd rather not sell to Poyet if possible.

I know there's history but i doubt the club care that much. At the end of the day its a business and they want the best price/deal available and they'd sell to palace without caring too much as long as the buying clubs aren't competing at the same level as us and even then it comes down to money

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Exactly. Our scouting network has been excellent during the past couple of years; the only real let down has been Jobbie, and that was a last minute panic buy thinking that CMS was on his way.

Bit of 20:20 hindsite there nwgull? At the time many people thought Dobbie was the purchase that would get us promoted. Drove Blackpool to the prem a season before and their fans were convinced we'd go up - end of. It didn't work out (another one that Gus couldn't find it in his heart to like?) but seen as a very good buy at the time.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It's January, so players won't go cheaply. Players only leave during this window if the offer is good, or if a club wants to get rid of players. We don't want Liam to go (I hope) so he isn't going cheap. Also the club is doing well financially, so we can hold out for a higher bid. Tom Huddleston only cost 2.5M, so I don't agree with these 5-6M quotes on here!

Aug 23, 2011
Gus has to sell to buy remember.

So no deal will happen until he has raised £2.5-3m in sales (according to half the people posting on this thread).

who knows if that Gus has to sell to buy or whether thats muddying the water, wouldn't be the first club to say we're not buying anyone and then buy players. The Cardiff owner said there were no funds for January, he got rid of Mackay and suddenly there are large funds, its all smoke and mirrors. My point was the times is a more reliable paper for transfer rumours than say the mail or star.

If the rumours about it being a done deal ages ago, then the chairmans comments could be that he has to sell to buy further but not mentioning that some deals are already done

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I don't understand why anyone thinks we'd sell Bridcutt for £2.5m in the middle of the season when we apparently turned that down in the summer from palace? £5m might be a different matter and is probably good business for both sides.

Also can't believe, no matter what your Poyet bias is, that anyone can think 40k a week, a grand total of around £800k, for Alonso is anything other than a cracking bit of business. A proper world class star for 5 months for less than a million. A midfield of him and bridders is a lot better than they have now IMO. A couple of other signings and they could well stay up and given it's something like £60m for finishing bottom of the prem, I can't see the Sunderland board not chancing £10m-£15m in this window to try and stay up.

Edit: see it's not that Alonso, it's the old Bolton left back! Scrap that then, looks like it'll be a proper relegation scrap for them!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Also can't believe, no matter what your Poyet bias is, that anyone can think 40k a week, a grand total of around £800k, for Alonso is anything other than a cracking bit of business. A proper world class star for 5 months for less than a million. A midfield of him and bridders is a lot better than they have now IMO.

You do know there is more than 1 Alonso ?

Much as i love Bridders, i can't see that he is the sort of signing that Sunderland need to change their fortunes. A defensive midfielder, who is unproven at Premier level ?

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
1. This would just be an opening salvo from Sunderland.
2. 1m for Buckley would not be enough for me. If we could get him injury free, which is possible, he would be worth 3-4 mill.
3. Bridders is worth £3-4 mill imo and we should take that if offered. Should not get in the way of a players ambitions if we can get a fair price.
4. Those who are, stop soiling yourselves with panic. The club is in good hands.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Tom Huddleston only cost 2.5M, so I don't agree with these 5-6M quotes on here!

Where did you get that from? I thought it was more like £5-6M. Plus he was pretty much a fringe player the last couple of years, unlike LB who has been player of season last 2. I think £3.5-4M is about right

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Gus and sunderland are just testing the water with this bid and seeing what Brighton will say, they know it will be rejected.

I think the Bridcutt value is about a million short and buckley about 500k... if they stump up that as much as i don't want to let either go it would be a good deal

Ince has become a ready made replacement for Bridcutt and the possible signing of Conway would replace Buckley

plus some of that 5 million to reinvest in certain areas of the team

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Highly impressed by some of the idiotic comments about Buckley being 'useless' and 'rubbish' - as if those people know what they're on about. Would much rather have Buckley playing for us than against us.

I think he's a very good player, but he's going to be on a decent wage given that he renewed his contract this time last year, and I think it'd be better to spend the money on someone who can play most weeks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How can there be any bids or "done deals" when the transfer window doesn't open until midnight tonight?

The window has not yet opened = no bid has been made = it's a non-story.

The window doesn't have to be open for clubs to discuss transfers, agree on fees, and then discuss with players, and even sign contracts. The window only has to be open for the FA to process registration papers, but deals can be done prior to the window opening, and registration processed when the window opens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here