Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nottingham Forest vs Brighton & Hove Albion **** Official Match Day Thread ****

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No I adore picking up points and if that is the only way to be succesful so be it. Interesting to hear the final summing up by WA on Radio Sussex when he said it was a good all round performance and that CMS looked eager and keen but until we learn to get that final pass through to him we will struggle to score goals.

During the match, Warren also criticised CMS for his inability to hold on to the ball, and particularly in the first half, how disheartening it is, that the ball is being turned over so easily because of CMS's inability to take the ball. Something I'm sure contributed to the players being less inclined to play it to him when he got into the box.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Why don't we wait till January BEFORE offloading CMS.

There's nearly 20 matches between now and then, desperately trying to get rid in September seems a little churlish.

Agreed. There's been constant calls to sell CMS , let him go for years from some NSC users. In fact there's been many on here absolutely certain he was going during the summer (to Posh) and despite having had a decent scoring record (far better than many Champ strikers) in the Championship for us in 2 and a half seasons he's called a L1 striker. Many on here were convinced he'd not even make the squad once we'd signed Baldock/Colunga...It always comes to nothing.

Instead he's back fighting for his place after a career threatening injury from which many players never recover. In the short time he's been back he delivered the best single moment of last season and he has already had several good performances under his belt this season (Bolton, today in fact, Burton), 3 goals, and if Bennett had delivered a decent ball with 20 minutes to go this afternoon, he'd have tapped in a winner. He also kept Mancienne busy all afternoon, which no striker has managed against Forest all season. He held the ball up well and he's started to build an understanding with Colunga, and McCourt but its difficult playing in a front line with mostly players he only played alongside for a few weeks/months. Its also difficult to keep focused when the club has rightfully signed some strong competition for your place in the team.

Yes he's a decent bloke, runs his socks off and claps the fans but its all of the former for which he deserves respect.
Of course its frustrating that he's not managed to carve out a 20 goal season for us since that record transfer fee but lets face it. Not many do. So i'd hope that the reception on NSC, which is frankly a bit skewed towards those who aren't particularly impressed with the player, could start to match the reception actually at the AMEX , where he probably
gets a better reception than almost anyone, bar Calde or KLL.

Plenty of time yet...

Oh and he's the only player left we have a song for.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wait until he scores a hatrick and then sell him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought the lads worked really hard, matched top of the table Forest chance for chance and thoroughly deserved their point.

Well done lads.

:clap2:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Why don't we wait till January BEFORE offloading CMS.

We all know he's capable of a run of goals.
It would seem we have a team willing to support and supply him.

All we need is for both things to happen at the same time.

There's nearly 20 matches between now and then, desperately trying to get rid in September seems a little churlish.
Has anyone actually said we should get rid of him now because that would be foolish, I thought everyone knew the transfer window had closed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone actually said we should get rid of him now because that would be foolish, I thought everyone knew the transfer window had closed.
The loud queue that start at the end of last season has begun forming already, stating destination and price.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I really like the way some people talk about CMS like all he needs is a sniff and he's a deadly finisher. He's not, his finishing is average at best.

He's scored less than 1 in 4 for us. That really isn't very good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed. There's been constant calls to sell CMS , let him go for years from some NSC users. In fact there's been many on here absolutely certain he was going during the summer (to Posh) and despite having had a decent scoring record (far better than many Champ strikers) in the Championship for us in 2 and a half seasons he's called a L1 striker. Many on here were convinced he'd not even make the squad once we'd signed Baldock/Colunga...It always comes to nothing.

Instead he's back fighting for his place after a career threatening injury from which many players never recover. In the short time he's been back he delivered the best single moment of last season and he has already had several good performances under his belt this season (Bolton, today in fact, Burton), 3 goals, and if Bennett had delivered a decent ball with 20 minutes to go this afternoon, he'd have tapped in a winner. He also kept Mancienne busy all afternoon, which no striker has managed against Forest all season. He held the ball up well and he's started to build an understanding with Colunga, and McCourt but its difficult playing in a front line with mostly players he only played alongside for a few weeks/months. Its also difficult to keep focused when the club has rightfully signed some strong competition for your place in the team.

Yes he's a decent bloke, runs his socks off and claps the fans but its all of the former for which he deserves respect.
Of course its frustrating that he's not managed to carve out a 20 goal season for us since that record transfer fee but lets face it. Not many do. So i'd hope that the reception on NSC, which is frankly a bit skewed towards those who aren't particularly impressed with the player, could start to match the reception actually at the AMEX , where he probably
gets a better reception than almost anyone, bar Calde or KLL.

Plenty of time yet...

Oh and he's the only player left we have a song for.

Nicely put

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really like the way some people talk about CMS like all he needs is a sniff and he's a deadly finisher. He's not, his finishing is average at best.

That's the average for most strikers. Cue [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION].

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would mean extending his contract....???
That's the problem.

This is his fourth season, for 3 of those he's either been used incorrectly or injured.
The fact that 'lone striker' CMS has scored any goals amazes me.

It would seem we now have a manager who wants more than one player, in the opposition half, at the same time, but it's all come too late for Macca.
I firmly believe the 'assist' pass isn't good enough, but it will get better.
CMS/Baldock/Colunga will begin to get proper chances a la first minute v Blackpool, CMS and Baldock should have a field day.

Would I give CMS a final contract, sadly not.
Another year definitely, but why would he sign that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's the average for most strikers. Cue [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION].

We didn't break our transfer record for average did we?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Barnes was a far superior player, yet he used to get dogs abuse from some of our fans. I don't take any pleasure in saying this, I want CMS to come off but how long are we supposed to wait. He's clearly a wholehearted, committed player but he lacks the technique to be consistently successful at this level.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Barnes was a far superior player, yet he used to get dogs abuse from some of our fans. I don't take any pleasure in saying this, I want CMS to come off but how long are we supposed to wait. He's clearly a wholehearted, committed player but he lacks the technique to be consistently successful at this level.

Thanks for having the balls and intelligence to post this. Barnes was / is far better than CMS. Better finisher, better first touch and a work rate that was different rather than lower (I.e. ran more effectively and won it back in deep positions).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

RE CMS

Last season, like it or not, Sturridge and Welbeck were England's best strikers.

Sturridge was deemed to be quality all season.
Welbeck missed a million chances.

Yet they had identical strike rates - 25%.

That'll be 1 in 4 shots.

Once again it would seem second division CMS is expected to be the best striker in the country.
Even though the supply into him is at best (very best) second division.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm very fond of him, but I still think he'll struggle to get into double figures in terms of goals. Which is not going to get us very far.
I do think we'll have a wider spread of goalscorers this season. That said, I really do hope Baldock is the player that Burke, Jones and Hyypia think he is. We'll see.
Agree with you about Forest. Norwich top, and probably Derby second.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Agree with all of it, Barnes offered AND provided a shed load more. Love CMS running like a Jack Russell with mustard on his nadgers (don't try this at home kids) and want him to do well but it just ain't there. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here