Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Huddersfield Post Mortem

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Seen a few posts about the 4-5-1 set up and would like to see this employed when 4-4-2 becomes ineffective. A team of our standard/quality should be able to adapt to this as a starting set up or as a mid-game change easily. Our midfield is a weak spot IMHO but those players and some of the back four are a worry for defences so we should capitalise on this. Chuba looks like he is a handful so lets use him. With quality service and back up I think this could be a good option. :shrug:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It appeared to me that without Stephens AND Baldock there just wasn't enough running in the team, we were completely overrun in midfield, I wouldn't lay the blame squarely with Norwood, I think we've seen enough of him to realise that against the top sides in this league he's probably not the best idea in a 4 man midfield. I can't be the only person who thought it might be a good idea to go with 3 in the middle of the park yesterday.

Bruno was terrible, off the pace of the game and the early booking meant he was scared stiff of making a challenge.

Add to that Huddersfield were excellent.

These things happen, no real damage done if we get back on the right track Sunday.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hudds away on a Thursday night in February with some key players missing? Nah we never getting anything from that game. I did however have a very nice dinner out with the missus and didn't watch a minute of it, so its as if it didn't happen as far as I'm concerned ;) And considering our 5 point lead with 2 games in hand before the start, that was a complete bonus game for us. Happy that all our rivals have to go there too.

On the line-ups, completely amazed that Hughton went with Norwood and Kayal, seems so out of character for him. Surely it has to be one of Stephens and Sidwell together with one of Norwood and Kayal, so why Sidwell didn't start is beyond me.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
They were brilliant.
We could have tried to muscle them off the field, but with dunk and bruno early cards, no stephens and kayal still looking half a yard off pace we were left chasing shadows.

3-1 flattered us.

I expect a bounce back from this result, roll on Brentford.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
EVERYONE knows that Huddersfield use gegenpressing, why were we not prepared for that? You cannot turn up away at a team that uses high-pressure tactics and try to play your normal game, you have to adapt.

Think Hughton will be just as disappointed in himself for the tactics (or lack of) that he deployed today as the players for their horrendous performance.

In his interview Hughton said they knew what to expect. Therefore, as I see it, up to three things went wrong:

1) Hughton's plan for using 4-4-2 to beat Huddersfield's tactics were wrong. Given his experience, that would be a surprise but then he does have a reputation for inflexibility (seen more at Norwich)
2) The players weren't capable of playing 4-4-2 in the way Hughton wanted to nullify their threat. But, if that is the case, you'd expect Hughton to adapt to reflect the players' ability or they need to practice harder to play in that way
3) We simply weren't good enough on the night and regardless of formation and tactics, we would have lost anyway

The most optimistic reading is that it was the third point but I think it may be a combination of all three. That means, as well as writing off some of it to a bad day at the office, both the players and Hughton need to sit down and work out how to adapt while keeping the benefits playing 4-4-2 has brought.

I hope they're doing that - right now.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Trouble is get nothing from Brentford and pressure will be massive on our next two home games which we will need to win to aboid getting drawn into the playoffs, after that we have Reading and Newcastle to look forward to, we could be back in the pack by then. Poor January recruitment will do for us again like it did last season.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Our performance levels appear to dip whenever the players have a break..International breaks etc..
We appear yo be a team that needs to be playing games.
Especially in January where there is more than 1 cup weekend.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is get nothing from Brentford and pressure will be massive on our next two home games which we will need to win to aboid getting drawn into the playoffs, after that we have Reading and Newcastle to look forward to, we could be back in the pack by then. Poor January recruitment will do for us again like it did last season.
Ermm.......just remind me, who did we bring in in that 'poor January' window last year?

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
A note from the stands,

I don't know if anybody else noticed that Hughton seemed to stand clapping the fans for a conspicuously long time...longer than the usual clap, double thumbs up and wave, but stood there for a good 15-20 seconds infront of the away end.

A couple of players, maybe Murray and Bruno did similar. I might be reading too much into this but to me it showed the character of the man to not hide away after a defeat like that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A note from the stands,

I don't know if anybody else noticed that Hughton seemed to stand clapping the fans for a conspicuously long time...longer than the usual clap, double thumbs up and wave, but stood there for a good 15-20 seconds infront of the away end.

A couple of players, maybe Murray and Bruno did similar. I might be reading too much into this but to me it showed the character of the man to not hide away after a defeat like that.

I did. He did come closer and stay longer than usual.

kjgood

They were just better than us, wanted the win more from the start and were more motivated. We had several players obviously not match fit, and several important players not available. We were beat by the better team on the night, it happens, learn from it and get ready for the next match.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
They were the better side, outplayed us, outfought us, two if not three players around us every time we got the ball. So much higher energy levels, never let us in the game and made us pay for minor mistakes that were punished. Formation probably wrong to start with but that's all hindsight. Move on to Sunday and start again. #oneofthosenights. #noexcuses.

Gi2raffe1

May 17, 2016
There running of the ball was a joy to watch!!!there young chelsea loanees were outstanding!!!!!this is what we have to aim for!!!!young players full of enthusiasm for 90 mins not just when you have the ball now and again!!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Okay, fair enough- like our failure to get a decent striker in last January.

Joint highest scorers in that season. It was goals conceded that did for us. Maybe we should have bought Duffy in January instead of the summer.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Probably the best I've seen from a team in the Championship this season. Doubt any other sides would have done better. Just my opinion.
Move on to Brentford, learn from the defeat, Brentford play the same way, I'd maybe play 5 in midfield, definitely hoping Stephens is fit for Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here