Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kodi streams

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Did anything happen after a recent update to the Fire Stick? I quite fancy a Fire Stick but reading the comments in your link, it seems the Amazon firmware update zapped the Kodi installation? Not sure if that is just an isolated case? I know Apple recently did the same with their iOS developer side loading.

Mine has been completely fine, used it last night to watch Dads Army!

Also, to the comment above about chinese subs, this isnt Kodi or the addons but the quality of releases out inthe market. chinese itunes has had lot of rips recently of films in HD quality days after a cinematic release, however, they have chinese subs. Will be the same for all sources. The add ons can only stream files that are actually released.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did anything happen after a recent update to the Fire Stick? I quite fancy a Fire Stick but reading the comments in your link, it seems the Amazon firmware update zapped the Kodi installation? Not sure if that is just an isolated case? I know Apple recently did the same with their iOS developer side loading.

I don't know, but I do know a techy bloke down the pub who installed Kodi onto my Firestick last year. He did one a couple of weeks ago for someone else, and said it was an absolute SWINE to get it on there this time (although he did manage it eventually). So I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon have pulled a snidey. Like many people, I don't use their Firestick for anything other than Kodi, and I won't subscribe to Prime no matter how many times they try to con me into it.

You can still get them with Kodi pre-installed if you fish around on Amazon or Ebay. Usually an extra tenner or so, I think.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Amazon-Kodi

Amazon did bring out an update that made it harder to put Kodi onto a firestick, I really think that they will keep trying to do this. As Kodi is costing them money basically, who would pay for Amazon prime video when you can have everything on Kodi. The new top gear(Clarkson etc) will be available on there an hour or so after it has debuted on Amazon, so you can see why.
Anyone who now wants me to set up a firestick I tell them no, as it will need to much upkeep when Amazon bring out another update and I dont have the time. I would now recommend an MXQ box, £20 on ebay. The firestick will still work but may require a bit more messing about in future.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Amazon-Kodi

Amazon did bring out an update that made it harder to put Kodi onto a firestick, I really think that they will keep trying to do this. As Kodi is costing them money basically, who would pay for Amazon prime video when you can have everything on Kodi. The new top gear(Clarkson etc) will be available on there an hour or so after it has debuted on Amazon, so you can see why.
Anyone who now wants me to set up a firestick I tell them no, as it will need to much upkeep when Amazon bring out another update and I dont have the time. I would now recommend an MXQ box, £20 on ebay. The firestick will still work but may require a bit more messing about in future.

Can't you just turn off amazon updates?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cable from a laptop to the TV - job done.
No need to fanny about with firesticks.

I belatedly found this out when I put Kodi straight onto my laptop, twas a bit of a "duh" moment. That said, it works fine for me having it on both now, as I can watch all the sports on the laptop if the missus is having her usual crap on the TV.

Well, she doesn't crap ON the TV. We're not into that.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Firestick updates download automatically, there are ways to block them but most require you to root the device. The only other way is complicated. Also remember that the updates are also sometimes necessary to keep the firestick running smoothy, unfortunately you cannot just pick or choose what is downloaded.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-software-updates-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/
Would these updates affect fire sticks that already have kodi installed?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
No issues with loading Kodi on a brand new firestick. Bought one from Argos last night and Kodi and addons up and running in 20 minutes using the guide thats already been posted above

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Some people have had to reinstall kodi again, others have been okay. People will 99.9% of the time find workarounds to get kodi on there whatever Amazon do, I just think it will be less hassle in future to buy a dedicated android box.
Cheers :)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I belatedly found this out when I put Kodi straight onto my laptop, twas a bit of a "duh" moment. That said, it works fine for me having it on both now, as I can watch all the sports on the laptop if the missus is having her usual crap on the TV.

Well, she doesn't crap ON the TV. We're not into that.

You and David Brent were right. All women are dirty.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Advice and experience please.
After reading through (most of) this thread I took the plunge and installed Kodi on my Windows 10 laptop a couple of days ago. Then in installed the fusion repository and Exodus, Genesis, SALTS, Phoenix, Sportsdevil, NJM-soccer, Showbox andTV Online. It all went like a dream so I plugged the laptop into my TV and tried to watch my first movie; 50 shades of black. I discovered 2 things; 1 my broadband is far too slow so I need to upgrade to at least 4mbps, 2. At some point I will want to use a stick instead of tying up the laptopbecause I have a tendency to browse the internet, play poker etc while I'm watching sport.

Question 1 - will I get by watching HD movies and sport with a 2mbps download speed or do I definitely need 4mbps or even should I go for 8mbps (currently I am getting 0.5mbps!).
Question 2 - I have done some very basic research into Amazon Fire stick, Roku streaming stick and Intel compute stick (the latest version with 2 USB ports). I have spent some time on the KODI website forum but I can't find anything of use in comparing them, especially since my requirement is to stream the unofficial add ons. I would appreciate pros and cons and user experience of each of these devices. I realise that the fire stick is a fair bit cheaper than the other 2.

Edit - I've just read the most recent posts on this thread and it looks like I should find out what the MXQ box is also. Please advise on this too.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have a MXQ android box with kodi on and im a big fan of UK Turk addon but im unable to get mine working again, was all fine before it went offline,
and now it is back online again all i have when i open the addon is: Search & Favourites

I have tried Uninstalling the repo and reinstalling and the same for the addon but still no luck? this is also happening on my PC

Running Jarvis 16.0 on both devices

Any help would be appreciated

Did you get your MXQ box with Kodi pre-installed? If so, were there official Kodi add-ons that you don't use and, further if so, did you uninstall them or just leave them there?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sports, comedy and documentaries
So like you, I use exodus, Phoenix, sports devil, live mix, classic British comedy channel and a few documentary channels.

Is classic british comedy channel included in any of the exodus, phoenix, salts repositories or does it have to be installed as a separate addon?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Did you get your MXQ box with Kodi pre-installed? If so, were there official Kodi add-ons that you don't use and, further if so, did you uninstall them or just leave them there?

MXQ is very straightforward if you go to the SEO Michael stuff

You don't need to get Kodi pre installed it's simple enough to do from Play Store. I did get mine pre-installed (and later wiped it to upgrade Kodi to latest version) and now only have 4 or 5 add ons which covers everything I need

As for your previous re line speed I use mine in Tenerife with around 3kps and it works fine on wireless (with the odd exception, mostly sport)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
At some point I will want to use a stick instead of tying up the laptopbecause I have a tendency to browse the internet, play poker etc while I'm watching sport.

Can you not configure your laptop to have two displays, one on the TV with kodi and one the laptop for browsing the internet.
It's what I do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here