Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not matter what everyone thinks re who was at fault, I'm sure we are all gutted at losing two points

I very much am Lamie. The dog is keeping out of the way tonight, that one hurt.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
True, but I'm still trying to understand why people are blaming Stocky for the first goal. Bruno's passback was a catastrophe and there is no way that any of us could clear a ball that comes to you at throat level.

It's a fair point but given the pace of the backpass I'm going to go with poor decision making and as a result bad footwork. Just my opinion. As others have said, he has a lot of credits in the bank.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Gutted to drop two points against such a poor side. Stockdale never commands his area enough for me but can't pin the blame for today's disappointment on:annoyed: him alone. When are referees going to start clamping down on sides that start time wasting against us on the first flamin' half??

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I thought it was very poor that Maenpaa, after waiting over a year for a chance in the league, finally played against Rotherham and looked extremely competent and technically sound and was then dropped for the match at Reading. He may not have had a lot to do against Rotherham, but he made a couple of decent saves, his kicking was perfect and his handling was really confident. I'm not sure I'd say any of those things about Stockdale this season. For me, dropping Maenpaa just sent out totally the wrong message.

As for today, I would blame Bruno more for the first goal, although Stockdale wasn't faultless. But it was the second that really irritated me from him. We've only conceded nine goals, but from memory I think Stockdale has simply stood and watched three of them sail past him without even making an effort to stop them. The header today was hardly moving at any pace. Plus there was the header at Newcastle that wasn't even that close to the corner, as well as the first at Reading when he allowed them to score a free kick from close to the corner flag by standing there to admire it.

Any danger of a dive, Dave?

Return of the Badger :bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think maybe you should get your glasses and rulebook out before you post again :)

Must admit I thought the kick would have been from where Bruno kicked but after reading FIFA Rule 12 I am wrong as it would be where the offense occurred so from where Stockdale caught it, if he did, but none the less still an indrect free kick which would be better than a goal.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I'd say he might have been slightly at fault on the 2nd. Seemed soft. But not as much for Murphy for giving the ball away cheaply or indeed the whole team for slacking off and sitting back against 10 men. And not at all at fault for the first.

Ten men, did I miss something?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I haven't seen the game yet nor did I listen to it on BBC Sussex but I don't think Stockdale was at fault for the last goal. Surely my opinion is as good as some posters on here.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Can usually be philosophical about correct score bets that go awry in injury time but this one hurts big time. It felt like a loss but I'm not going to turn on Stockers. He's done really well so far this season and a great keeper. At least there's another match soon to forget about it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A request to Bozza.

Can you please rename this the 'Stockdale Hate Club' or SHC for short. Could you also give all these miserable little whingers the SHC badge of honour on their profile so we know who to look for when a goal is conceded.

It would just make life so much easier.

Regards.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A request to Bozza.

Can you please rename this the 'Stockdale Hate Club' or SHC for short. Could you also give all these miserable little whingers the SHC badge of honour on their profile so we know who to look for when a goal is conceded.

It would just make life so much easier.

Regards.

Or just delete the whole thread. God forbid we allow any discussion about how we dropped 2 points today. Get that carpet ready for sweeping under. Nothing went wrong today......move along, nothing to see here. Sh×t happens.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Or just delete the whole thread. God forbid we allow any discussion about how we dropped 2 points today. Get that carpet ready for sweeping under. Nothing went wrong today......move along, nothing to see here. Sh×t happens.

Or just trust in Chris Hughton and stop making Stockers the scapegoat when both goals were clearly down to Bruno and Murphy. Idiots here with agendas.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite right. Why he gave that away so easily God only knows. Poor play at that stage. That is not a top two side for sure playing like that . Making those mistakes. Preston were gash.

He knew it too because he then went round the full back into the penalty area to try and redeem himself. Unfortunately, that was probably the first time in the whole match he actually went round the full back!!

As for Stockdale, he made a mistake, as did Bruno. He should have headed the ball away at the very least. However, I am in the camp that thinks he saves more points than he loses and I would challenge his detractors to identify a single goalkeeper that never makes a mistake.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Or just trust in Chris Hughton and stop making Stockers the scapegoat when both goals were clearly down to Bruno and Murphy. Idiots here with agendas.

A goal like the first we conceded deserves some analysis. Got nothing to do with "trust in Chris" or scapegoating Stockdale.

It was pure slapstick. Which we can relive time after time because they scored from it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A goal like the first we conceded deserves some analysis. Got nothing to do with "trust in Chris" or scapegoating Stockdale.

It was pure slapstick. Which we can relive time after time because they scored from it.

And that was not down to Bruno because...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here