Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems very strange that the last transmission was normal then 1 minute later it started a rapid decent,really can't work out why in that 8 minutes nothing was said over the radio

Catastrophic decompression knocking everyone unconscious perhaps......hopefully the investigation will uncover the truth

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Odd. You're not usually this sensitive. I bet you're itching to tell us what "really" happened.

Seriously, what are you trying to get at? Already trying to wheel in the 'nutjobs' for more of your narcissistic scapegoating?

Looks like you obviously didn't know or care about anyone on that flight.

17 children, all from the same class, died a very scary death. Is that not shocking enough for you?

(and there was me thinking males were the insensitive ones.)

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Behave. The technology already exists, and has done for some time. Give every airline n years to have it implemented or be grounded, and hey presto, it'll be done. Simples.

There is no single body to ensure implementation or to impose grounding. So how are you going to do this simply? Are you offering your services as World Dictator? I'll only vote for you if you're consistently funny.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Yeah just read that, although that doesn't mean the pilot killed himself he could have had a stroke or something like that. Let's hope it is not terrorism I'm sure the media will now be clambering to get the pilots and co pilots names and make their own assumptions. Whatever happened 150 people lost their lives in a way I can't imagine the longest eight minutes, I only hope people became aware something was wrong with a minute or two to go or less. R.I.P

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You would also probably need a discrete band of spectrum for this data; have enough transmission points around the globe to ensure there are no holes in coverage. That in itself is a tough proposition when you think that 30 years after cellular telephony there are still massive blackspots in the crowded south-east of England.

Then there's the amount of storage needed for data: you're talking about gigabytes of data per plane - and thousands of planes every day. Finally, you need it secure, the last thing you want is data that could intercepted by the bad guys.

None of this is insurmountable but it's not a quick fix. And as Del Fenner says, even if you overcome the technical problems, there are legal and administrative issues to fix

There was a piece about this is the press and the simple answer is that the cost benefit ratio prohibits it. It's very very expensive and given so few planes crash it's not seen as currently worthwhile.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Just heard on talksport that apparently the pilot left the cockpit before it started to go down and then tried to get back into the cockpit and could not get back in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah just read that, although that doesn't mean the pilot killed himself he could have had a stroke or something like that.

Would the plane not have been on auto-pilot by then so, if the member of flight crew remaining in the cockpit, had been rendered unconscious, the plane would have continued at cruising altitude.

Orson Cart

Oct 10, 2012
Yeah just read that, although that doesn't mean the pilot killed himself he could have had a stroke or something like that.

However there is a code the other pilot could have used to get back in the cockpit. (It can be countermanded by whoever is in there to stop unwanted access). If it was an incapacitation there would have been no need to try to break down the door.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
So sad as more then likely they all knew there was a problem,doent look as if the copilot was with the company very long or had many fly hours,still doesn't seem likely it was an accident....copilot died but why lock the door and the plane never went in to an uncontrolled drive,?????.terrorist or wanted to kill himself

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Would the plane not have been on auto-pilot by then so, if the member of flight crew remaining in the cockpit, had been rendered unconscious, the plane would have continued at cruising altitude.
Indeed, so that leaves a more sinister story yet to unfold.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed, so that leaves a more sinister story yet to unfold.

Does it? I'm curious as to why the pilot went walk about as this, from my experience, is not typical on a short haul flight. ATC have also suggested they heard strange engine noises. And the door would have to be bolted when he left as this is procedure. Something definitely irregular, but not necessarily sinister.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does it? I'm curious as to why the pilot went walk about as this, from my experience, is not typical on a short haul flight. ATC have also suggested they heard strange engine noises. And the door would have to be bolted when he left as this is procedure. Something definitely irregular, but not necessarily sinister.

Oh but it is. I often see one of the pilots on BA flights having a chat with the flight attendants in the galley at the front of an Airbus A320/319 on flights to and from Toulouse, Often getting a cup of coffee, or taking the cup back. Not uncommon at all. In fact they often come out and chat to other pilots who are flying as passengers but in BA uniform, if they are at the front in club, which they generally are.

All very strange this.

I've seen myself, one Pilot go for a slash and re-enter the cockpit by entering a code on the door.
I've also read somewhere that the only way he cannot re-enter is if the mechanism is disabled from the inside, I'm pretty sure this was brought in as a post 9/11 measure to stop any attempted terrorist from forcing the pilot who is outside to open it.

Whatever happened, I cannot begin to imagine what the passengers must have been going through, 8 minutes is a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here