Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: In derision of the Albion naysayers

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Those of us with long memories will recall a certain Bobby Smith arriving at the Goldstone back in the 1960s. Like Darren Bent, he was a former England centre forward, 30-something, over-weight (and according to many sceptics at the time, over the hill as well), and furthermore lacking regular first-team match play with his former club, Spurs. In the space of one season he scored an amazing 19 goals in 31 appearances for Brighton. Admittedly, the Albion at that time were languishing in the basement of the Football League. But quality shone through, and who's to say Darren won't emulate Bobby and give all the doubters a nice surprise. Don't let's write off the guy before he's even got here!

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So what's his current value. If he had a decent month with us then what figure would you guess Villa would be prepared to let him go for?
I'm thinking 3m.
Am I miles away?

Purchased for 24 so 3 would be cheap. As mentioned the wages would probably rule us out.

This loan deal suits all parties . DB will probably get a loan move to a prem club if he scores for us regularly. Someone like Leicester. Score there and then Villa have something to work with.

Enjoy it while it lasts is my advice. 6 games. 18 points up for grabs

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
:lol::lol::lol:

Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.

Reckon you could have saved all that effort and just said 'most are cocks'.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think he could be a excellent signing, but then I though CMS and Sam Baldock where excellent signings. Sorry, I am old school. Play to your players strengths, a striking pair up top. If we play to his strengths, I look forward to the play offs. THough I suspect we will just throw him in our system and hope he adapts, something that CMS and Baldock have struggled to do. All this one up front, two out wide, is bullshit IMO, and looking at our goals for tally over the recent times, would confirm that.

For us to sign a player of Bent's caliber is unbelieveable. But hopefully won't turn out as pointless as CMS or Baldock.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Jesus....I take a sabbatical from here and nothing ever changes! :)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think he could be a excellent signing, but then I though CMS and Sam Baldock where excellent signings. Sorry, I am old school. Play to your players strengths, a striking pair up top. If we play to his strengths, I look forward to the play offs. THough I suspect we will just throw him in our system and hope he adapts, something that CMS and Baldock have struggled to do. All this one up front, two out wide, is bullshit IMO, and looking at our goals for tally over the recent times, would confirm that.

For us to sign a player of Bent's caliber is unbelieveable. But hopefully won't turn out as pointless as CMS or Baldock.

Christ...

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Torn on this - much like Bridge & Upson, if his legs and his heart are in it, then undoubtedly he's a very good player. Bit it's a big 'if'...whether his heart will be in a month-long loan, or his fitness still there having sat on his arse collecting £60kpw+ without playing this season. I'd say it's a calculated gamble and anyone even if he's completely unsuccessful, it'll still have been worth a throw of the dice on the basis of half a dozen games to get us through to January. And if it pays off - smashing, we'll be in mid-table just in time for the window to open and Tony to get his chequebook out and fund a Roy of the Rovers charge in the second half of the season.

I'm with you BR, I agree with your optimism if things do go well, but if we're down to "throw of the dice" and to quote you "he's completely unsuccessful" then I'd say it's the last throw and hasn't been worth it.

That's where we're at now IMO, the recruitment team will have a lot to answer for if we've signed a chump who has earned his money and has no real desire to prove himself anymore and believes he has already reached the pinnacle of his career and will never play International Football again.

That would be the one question I would like to ask him, do you believe you will ever play for England again ?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I've just seen a piece on Sky sports news that listed the top goalscorers in the Premiership in order of goals scored = games played. They had to have scored 100 goals to qualify. Darren Bent was eighth! Eighth I tells ya!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.

Post of the year.

Delighted we've completed this signing.

Feb 14, 2010

Ive no idea if Bent will be any good (I do have bad memories of Robbie Savage but lets hope its more Bobby Smith) but this post absolutely sums up some on NSC. Some are on a wind up, some have a press induced inferiority complex because we have never won anything and some just have never seen any other team play except Brighton.

Ive no idea if Bent will be any good (I do have bad memories of Robbie Savage but lets hope its more Bobby Smith) but this post absolutely sums up some on NSC. Some are on a wind up, some have a press induced inferiority complex because we have never won anything and some just have never seen any other team play except Brighton.

And some just think their opinions are worth more.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Obviously

He is right footed but he scored one with his left foot in the interview video highlights. That should be good enough to make him better than what we have got.

:goal:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Massive marketing cock up from the club.

With number 69 (rather than 39), Bent's shirt could have entered the annals as a firm cult favourite.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
ive no idea if bent will be any good (i do have bad memories of robbie savage but lets hope its more bobby smith) but this post absolutely sums up some on nsc. Some are on a wind up, some have a press induced inferiority complex because we have never won anything and some just have never seen any other team play except brighton.

wind up ??? :eek::eek::eek:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Those of us with long memories will recall a certain Bobby Smith arriving at the Goldstone back in the 1960s. Like Darren Bent, he was a former England centre forward, 30-something, over-weight (and according to many sceptics at the time, over the hill as well), and furthermore lacking regular first-team match play with his former club, Spurs. In the space of one season he scored an amazing 19 goals in 31 appearances for Brighton. Admittedly, the Albion at that time were languishing in the basement of the Football League. But quality shone through, and who's to say Darren won't emulate Bobby and give all the doubters a nice surprise. Don't let's write off the guy before he's even got here!

Great first post!

Welcome to NSC

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

You forgot to add - Some who weren't around 20 years ago when we were propping up the league and truly were a crock of shit!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
At least signing Bent actually shows some intent from the club rather than the lacklustre signings of Obika, O'Grady Barn door Billy and so on

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Absolutely one player I rate highly. Very selfish in front of goal but at least knows where it is. He will get plenty of opportunities any time he's on the pitch but I can't help but feel the 'manager' will bring him on for a cameo last 6 minutes.....plus stoppage time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here