Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gin drinkers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do try the stuff in my OP. I really can't tell the difference between Gins apart from some of those nasty over flavoured ones. But this was a revelation and I'd defy anyone not to get it. In saying that perhaps the purists would turn there back on it ???

Here's a link ... read the reviews (it can be got cheaper than this too if shopping around)

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/24268/nordes-gin

Sounds like my experience with Ophir - it was like no other gin I'd had and really stood out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been a bit disappointed with Brighton Gin - I'd been a little bit hesitant in saying so!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hmmm, now there's a thought. It would be for a good cause wouldn't it.

Well...... Already made a call and for £35.00 quid Steve does a 5 gin tasting (doubles) with mixers (varied) and he would be prepared to throw a tenner per head of that into the REMF. Can cater for 25/30 on a midweek night but they are chocker fri and sat so ? They do another type of deal where they take infusion orders from you and then two weeks later they have them ready for everyone and have a contest where everyone decides who's was best. Probably from some sort of list I presume.
Anyway

Good work. Could you get a quote inclusive of some sort of food too, if it's no bother.

Either that or we could just go for a curry after, lol, x

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good work. Could you get a quote inclusive of some sort of food too, if it's no bother.

Either that or we could just go for a curry after, lol, x

It's 6 gins in that price for £35.00 Bozz (10 to REMF fund) but they are singles. Nice venue as he has the rum bar downstairs for larger parties and can do a Thursday or maybe a Friday down there. Would throw in some food for £6.00 quid a head but it would only be basic stuff like pizza slices, and buffet stuff.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've just recently converted to the world of Gin.......funnily enough in the same week I turned 30 and started buying vinyl.

It's either a 30year old crisis or I'm subconsciously trying to be a hipster.

Either way, as a completely uneducated newbie, I've found ANY gin is fine by me but the real key is the tonic. I've just been drinking Gordons at home.

Is it just my tastebuds are completely uneducated or is there some logic in this?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sounds like my experience with Ophir - it was like no other gin I'd had and really stood out.

Just looked it up and added to the list :thumbsup:

Loads of great tips on this thread ... I'm looking forward to getting up the learning curve!!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Really? From what I've read, Schweppes is highly regarded amongst "mixologists". It all depends on what tastes best to you. I find Fever Tree a little sweet.

Just shows what a subjective thing this is as I would have said the opposite. Schwepps has saccharine as a sweetner which Fever Tree does not - I find FT far cleaner for me. I don't know about what mixologists regard as the best but if they are using Schwepps then fine but I am not a fan. If I want a cheaper tonic then Lidl's is pretty good and very good value. One thing I never use is low cal as I've never found one that tastes good.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Just shows what a subjective thing this is as I would have said the opposite. Schwepps has saccharine as a sweetner which Fever Tree does not - I find FT far cleaner for me. I don't know about what mixologists regard as the best but if they are using Schwepps then fine but I am not a fan. If I want a cheaper tonic then Lidl's is pretty good and very good value. One thing I never use is low cal as I've never found one that tastes good.

Agree with the low cal - nasty stuff.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I concur on Plymouth Gin, just about perfect. There are many others, the ones in coloured bottles are disguising their lack of clearness and purity, and others have wild and wonderful flavours, but Plymouth, neat on the rocks, maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime, that does it for me

The only reason I know about the cocktails is because I had the tour of the distillery, oldest in the world I think, it was interesting but they have a cracking cocktail bar upstairs and they served up some corkers and a beautiful gin & tonic, as I have said I am a real gin amateur but it did taste very nice and Plymouth gin is apparently one of the finest but I really can't tell much difference maybe you need to try many other premium brands like some on here to have an opinion, think I may have to get involved as a Gin & Tonic, made properly is a beautiful drink.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I know very little about gin beyond the Bombay Sapphire's and Gordon's, but bought this for the novelty and thought it was very nice.

11349194_454021748117486_1542037520_n.jpg

Looks great and I really like the label text.

With the renaissance in Whiskey distilling in the Highlands and Islands, the canny Scots realise that whlst you wait 10 years for your malt whiskey to be ready to sell, you can parallel distill gin with an almost instant ROI.
Makar from Glasgow is a cracker but the one that I really love, coupled with a rather splendid bottle, is 'The Botanist' from Islay. My oh my it's good and, like the best gins, tastes spicy and is luscious neat.

Just put me in the mood for a Gin and Tonic (Fevertree of course) with a slice of unwaxed lemon and ice.......... that waxed ice is pants!

Oh and there's a nice one from Birmingham, whose name escapes me at the moment. They distill then ship to Iceland for infusion with glacier water......

Grrrrrrrrr eeeaaatttttttt!

TNBA

TTF

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right, I've run down all my gins so that I only have a small amount of Plymouth, nothing else left. I fancy getting a Sussex-based gin next - anyone tried any (apart from Brighton gin, which seems to get a mixed press and is on the pricey side) and have an opinion?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Right, I've run down all my gins so that I only have a small amount of Plymouth, nothing else left. I fancy getting a Sussex-based gin next - anyone tried any (apart from Brighton gin, which seems to get a mixed press and is on the pricey side) and have an opinion?

Cabin pressure from Horsham is nice but pricey. Worth a go though.

https://www.cabinpressurespirits.com/botanicals

I've almost run out of mine so have been saving the last couple of drinks from the bottle.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

OK so it's not exactly Sussex but worth a bash if you can find it ... (edit) £23 a bottle on Amazon if you buy a 6 pack :rolleyes:

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying it but I can't say I fancied either Opihr or the London & Edinburgh Rhubarb and Ginger (which is actually a syrup) although a dash in a glass of Prosecco makes that very drinkable

View attachment 95528

Attachments

• Nordes.jpg
    Nordes.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

There's a Shoreham-by-Sea gin called Slake (actually there are two), but it's not easy to get hold off (although I'm not sure if they sell it online.) Also might be worth giving Tom Cat a go – that's a 'Sussex' gin, apparently.

OK so it's not exactly Sussex but worth a bash if you can find it ... (edit) £23 a bottle on Amazon if you buy a 6 pack :rolleyes:

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying it but I can't say I fancied either Opihr or the London & Edinburgh Rhubarb and Ginger (which is actually a syrup) although a dash in a glass of Prosecco makes that very drinkable

View attachment 95528

That stuff is amazing – had a bottle back in the summer and it went within a few months.

Current favourites are Isle of Harris, Gin Mare and Sabatini. I normally stick a bit of pink grapefruit in, but those three are perfect on their own.

Others I would recommend (I judge them by the empty bottles on my shelf) are: Fifty Eight; Drumshanbo Gunpowder (Irish); Marylebone and Williams GB.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There's a Shoreham-by-Sea gin called Slake (actually there are two), but it's not easy to get hold off (although I'm not sure if they sell it online.) Also might be worth giving Tom Cat a go – that's a 'Sussex' gin, apparently.

That stuff is amazing – had a bottle back in the summer and it went within a few months.

Current favourites are Isle of Harris, Gin Mare and Sabatini. I normally stick a bit of pink grapefruit in, but those three are perfect on their own.

Others I would recommend (I judge them by the empty bottles on my shelf) are: Fifty Eight; Drumshanbo Gunpowder (Irish); Marylebone and Williams GB.

Oh jeez ... if yours went in a few months I might have a problem!!

Williams GB I enjoyed and describe it as a serious Gin drinkers drink!! Gin Mare is another big favourite over here and a regular visitor!

I've made a note of the others :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Chilgrove is another Sussex gin: http://www.chilgrovespirits.com/

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Slake.

Big fan of Williams GB.

OK so it's not exactly Sussex but worth a bash if you can find it ...

Cabin pressure from Horsham.

Chilgrove is another Sussex gin.

Thanks all. Would it be appalling behaviour to buy one of each? I think there’s a Blackdown gin of some description as well - so just the 5 bottles, I think. If there’s a pick’n’mix 6 deal as well, I may throw in a bottle of Brighton gin. I’ll report back when they’ve all been sampled. Quite partial to the Fever Tree elderflower tonic for that perfect G&T.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here