Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Still not arrived :( Come on Yodel!

My friend had his Planet X delivered by Yodel earlier in the year, came home to find it left in the garden, with the box on its side in the rain.

On a similar note I popped home at lunch time today to find 2 parcels from Wiggle left behind my hedge (DX was the delivery company). Bit of a risk to take with >£250 of stuff! One was a rear wheel (for my turbo), so it wasn't exactly small and indiscreet.

I hope you get what you want, and deserve, from the fitting.

My opinion was based on nothing more than gut feeling, and the seemingly over the top price for this service. I'd prefer to put the money toward a new set of wheels.

Happy to admit that I am probably wrong though. I often am!

Not exactly sure what I deserve from the fit? :)

The place I'm going to does a single bike fit during the week for £160 (or £120 with a 20% TE discount). £120 for 2.5 hours for a 1-to-1 service from someone who's trained and experienced doesn't seem too bad, especially when you consider how expensive all things bike related seem to be. I've spent a ridiculous amount on 2 new bikes this year (well one was secondhand), so to the £200 I'm paying for the fit is a pretty low % of my bike related outlay this year. The bikes are already a pretty decent spec and the components are all pretty new, so there's not that many reasonably priced upgrades I can get for them currently. Although I am waiting to find the perfect Cyclocross/winter hack.

This time 2 years ago I kind of felt extravagant spending £300 on my Triban 3, so spending half as much again would have seemed ludicrous to me at that time. So I can fully see your point and agree with it to an extent. But since then the cycling (and tri) bug has bitten all sense and reasoning when it comes to spend has gone out of the window. For example this week I had a 165mm crank set (supposedly it should open up my hip angle on the TT bike) and a set of Rotor Q osymmetric chainrings delivered. Will they improve my cycling performance? Probably not very much, if at all. So compared to that, I think the bike fits will be a decent investment! :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A few teasers before I get it set up properly.

10583967_10152308037637245_3290882837716286740_n.jpg

10639670_10152308037757245_2341467589852674379_n.jpg

1620513_10152308037732245_5792725727544243624_n.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lots to say about today's ride.

First and foremost the alternative to worrying about autumn/winter cack is to just ride through it, and clean your bike after:-

WP_20141010_002.jpg

WP_20141010_004.jpg

WP_20141010_005.jpg

I'll save the rest of the stuff about my ride till later.

The floor is yours [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION].

Let's have all the details.

Last edited:

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
My friend had his Planet X delivered by Yodel earlier in the year, came home to find it left in the garden, with the box on its side in the rain.

My recently ordered Planet X Exocet 2 frame was dropped over my back gate! No idea how long it had been there, and luckily there was no damage but Yodel really are appalling!

On the bike fit question, I had it done at On Your Bike near London Bridge recently. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. I was getting pain in one knee which has returned, and in general the bike just feels more comfortable when riding it. Also didn't realise until the end you get a 6 month follow-up when they spend an hour checking nothing has moved.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Had mine delivered to the office so no issues with Yodel.
:O :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Yay great stuff, how's the fit?

Seems fine though I haven't straightened the handlebars out (and put pedals on) and won't till I get home. The seat seems to be at exactly the right height for me already, which is odd.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Very busy with work, but details straight from Planet X:
Order Details:
CBPXSLPRIV22 - 1 - Planet X Pro Carbon Sram Rival 22 Road Bike BTPXCO-WHT - 1 - Planet X Cork Handlebar Tape White BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] BUBOTTLE - 1 - No Bottle Cages Thanks BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] BCSRRIXYZ-FR - 1 - SRAM Rival Brake Caliper Front BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] BCSRRIXYZ-RE - 1 - SRAM Rival Brake Caliper Rear BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] CASRPG1130XYZ-1132 - 1 - SRAM PG1130 Cassette 11-32T BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] CHSR1130XYZ-116 - 1 - SRAM PC1130 Chain 116 Links BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] CSRRIXYZ-172-5034 - 1 - SRAM Rival 22 Chainset 172.5mm 50-34T BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] FMSRRIVXYZ-349 - 1 - SRAM Rival 22 Front Mech 34.9mm Band On BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] HBPX6061SD-42-PBK-318 - 1 - Planet X Road Bar Strada Shallow Drop 42cm Polished Black 31.8 mm Clamp BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] BUPEDALS - 1 - No Pedals Thanks BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] RMSRRI22XYZ-MC - 1 - SRAM Rival 22 Rear Mech Medium Cage BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] SASMPZA-CBS-WHT - 1 - San Marco Ponza Saddle Carbon Steel White BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] SPPXSL3DFA-316-PBK - 1 - Planet X Light Alloy Seatpost 31.6mm Polished Black BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] GLSRRI22XYZ-2SL - 1 - SRAM Rival 22 Brake Lever Shifter 2 Speed Left BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] GLSRRI22XYZ-11R - 1 - SRAM Rival 22 Brake Lever Shifter 11 Speed Right BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] STPX3DF-100-PBK-6-318 - 1 - Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Stem 100 mm Polished Black 6 degrees 31.8 mm Clamp BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] TYCOEMULT2-700-BLK-23 - 2 - Continental Ultrasport 2 Wired Tyre 700c Black 23mm BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] WPFST30-700-BLK-S11 - 1 - FSA Team 30 Wheelset 700c Black ShimanoSRAM 1011sp BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPRIV22] FRPXPCRFF-LRG-BLU - 1 - Planet X Pro Carbon Road Frameset / Large / Blue

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Seems fine though I haven't straightened the handlebars out (and put pedals on) and won't till I get home. The seat seems to be at exactly the right height for me already, which is odd.

If you're relatively new to cycling, then chances are if you think the saddle is the right height, then it's probably too low! Having done some reading up on bike fits, I'd say the majority of people report that the saddle was raised, often significantly.

The quick fit is to measure your inseam (without shoes, but wearing your cycling shorts, use a book) then multiply by 109% to get the height from the pedal axle (at the bottom of the stroke) to the top of the saddle. This is the 109% method. A more recommended method is to have a 25 degree angle in the leg at the bottom of your stroke, but it's a bit more difficult to measure this one yourself. Typically people will have their saddle too low and have a much bigger degree of bend.

The to get the fore/aft correct put one of your pedals in the 3 o clock position (so the foot is as far forward as it can go in the stroke), and adjust so that the very front of your knee is directly about the middle of the pedal axle.

I'm currently battling with my other half who tells me her saddle is to high... because she can't plant both feet on the ground comfortably when stationary!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you're relatively new to cycling, then chances are if you think the saddle is the right height, then it's probably too low! Having done some reading up on bike fits, I'd say the majority of people report that the saddle was raised, often significantly.

The quick fit is to measure your inseam (without shoes, but wearing your cycling shorts, use a book) then multiply by 109% to get the height from the pedal axle (at the bottom of the stroke) to the top of the saddle. This is the 109% method. A more recommended method is to have a 25 degree angle in the leg at the bottom of your stroke, but it's a bit more difficult to measure this one yourself. Typically people will have their saddle too low and have a much bigger degree of bend.

The to get the fore/aft correct put one of your pedals in the 3 o clock position (so the foot is as far forward as it can go in the stroke), and adjust so that the very front of your knee is directly about the middle of the pedal axle.

I'm currently battling with my other half who tells me her saddle is to high... because she can't plant both feet on the ground comfortably when stationary!
Thanks for the tips. I'm on tippy-toes sat on the saddle (and only just), which is the case with my existing bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] what games have you played, so far, with the box?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] what games have you played, so far, with the box?

Haha, my boss arrived just after the bike and he couldn't get to his desk, have had to bin it. Going to have to remove the wheels to get it in my car and take it home. Going to have to be VERY careful!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Would it be wrong to put a cheap bottle cage on it? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bbc-01-ecotank-water-bottle-cage/

Yes.

Plastic in the nearest colour to the frame, if you can get close enough.

If not black or white, probably white as it matches the decals.

Next comes carbon if you really are stupid enough to spend that much money for a bottle cage.

Last place those metal ones you were looking at.

Actually, I think white is the way to go. That would look proper. I normally get the Bontrager racelite cages, never had any problems with them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes.

Plastic in the nearest colour to the frame, if you can get close enough.

If not black or white or celeste, probably white as it matches the decals.

Next comes carbon if you really are stupid enough to spend that much money for a bottle cage.

Last place those metal ones you were looking at.

Actually, I think white is the way to go. That would look proper. I normally get the Bontrager racelite cages, never had any problems with them.
:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here