Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Maguire-Drew

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I heard on the grapevine Maguire-Drew was loaned out to Worthing as part of the deal that allowed Adam Hinselwood to join the coaching staff at the Albion from Worthing earlier in the season.

Its unlikely to be true, although there are at present a few personal relationship between some staff at BHA and some at Worthing, which undoubtedly played a role.

If you think about it, it would be absolutely unforgivable for anyone from within our own Academy to try and engineer a loan move of an 18 year old player for anything other than what would be seen as in the very best interest of JMD as a developing player, again it seems likely his opportunities were limited with the U21's and Worthing was the next best option for him to play outside of the youth team.

mole

Apr 28, 2016
You're mistaking Worthing with high level non league, this is Peacehaven, East Grinstead and Three Bridges level, it's hardly more than County League style and level, how can you compare Premier League U21's central defenders as somehow inferior physically to Worthings and if you are its some condemnation of the Premier League Under 21's level and environment and its multi million pound budget.

Are you are aware that the U21s were knocked out of the Sussex Senior Cup this season by Three Bridges? The same competition that Worthing are in the final of having beaten Whitehawk in the semi finals.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Are you are aware that the U21s were knocked out of the Sussex Senior Cup this season by Three Bridges? The same competition that Worthing are in the final of having beaten Whitehawk in the semi finals.

Yes, are you saying that Worthing are therefore perhaps comparable to our own U21's or even other professional clubs U21's teams, if your not then I do not get your point.

Good luck to Worthing they seem to be quite a young side with many of them being squirted out of professional clubs before even the scholarship stage with others that have never really been deemed good enough to be considered as potential professionals, no shame in that but it makes any argument that it is somehow a meaningful progression path for any young player instead of competing nationally in the Barclays U21's Premier League against other Cat 1 Academy's less convincing.

My views on Worthing Football club has more been in the context of the merits of playing for Worthing or playing for our own U21's, it isnt meant to be disingenuous to Worthing Football Club or their players, they seem to be doing very well and more power to them and I wish them well.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Hopefully he will play well in the play off final on Saturday - he looks a head above at that level already must help his confidence

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/worthingfootballclub/videos/8129-goal-82308.html

A lovely free kick (reminds me of one seen recently at the Amex) ... I guess all he needs to do is let his boots do the talking. Good luck to the young lad for Saturday :clap2::clap2:

This one is pretty classy too !http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/worthingfootballclub/videos/1803-goal-82241.html

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14462281.Jordan___s_golden_loan_stint____can_be_win_win___/

I thought according to Big Gully that he is being wasted playing for Worthing when he could be playing for our under 21s ? :moo:

I dont think your keeping up with the debate, the usual and understandable words from a grateful Worthing manager has never been the point, it has always for me been a comment on JMD current position at the club.

He isnt playing at Worthing as a choice of Worthing versus our own U21's, he is playing for Worthing because at present the club are unable to find much playing time for our U21's, thats the point, for me if I was a young 'prospect' I would expect Simon Rusk to want me competing in his team against other Barclays Premier League U21 teams, thats the natural progression of any young 'prospect' within the professional game, thats what is happening to his peers.

To somehow compare Worthing, even with their current success as something superior to playing for our own U21's is foolish because the club doesnt think this either.

If as others have pointed out he is playing at a standard below what his undoubted talent perhaps deserves, I am not aware of any modern qualified development criteria which recommends such a pathway, usually you either nurture them within your own development structure or more likely 'push them on' within it.

Playing for Worthing is perhaps better than playing for our youth team but cannot be a credible alternative to playing regularly with our own U21's.

I am sure JMD would of preferred to of played at St James' Park, Newcastle a couple of weeks ago, in front of his U21's coaches who ultimately will make his own career decisions, in front of Peter Beardsley their U21's manager, probably 20+ scouts from the north east and 500+ supporters with and against other aspiring U21 professional's with a few over aged experienced professionals, but he didnt have that choice.

I am not blaming anyone here, but when the retained and released list is published for this season, it might be worth noting out of the 3 retained, 2 have played exclusively for the U21's with the other being loaned to a Vanarama South side, whilst the others being released have not really figured with the U21's whilst being loaned out to relatively low non league sides such as Worthing, with one exception who was loaned to another Vanarama side. Figure it out.

Good luck to Worthing and to JMD, but they wont be getting, Molumby, Rea, Hunt, , Bjordal or Ayunga anytime soon, they will remain playing with our U21's or if being loaned is deemed appropriate then only a side of at least Vanarama level or above would be considered for them.

For me I think JMD is too good not to find his way back into the U21's and he has some time as he had a longer deal than most and if as I hope he goes on to have some level of a successful career he will perhaps illogically refer to this loan spell as worthwhile, but please forget trying to associate the move as some positive progression, it clearly isnt, its just a choice of our youth team or a winning Worthing side.

Dec 29, 2011
I dont think your keeping up with the debate, the usual and understandable words from a grateful Worthing manager has never been the point, it has always for me been a comment on JMD current position at the club.

He isnt playing at Worthing as a choice of Worthing versus our own U21's, he is playing for Worthing because at present the club are unable to find much playing time for our U21's, thats the point, for me if I was a young 'prospect' I would expect Simon Rusk to want me competing in his team against other Barclays Premier League U21 teams, thats the natural progression of any young 'prospect' within the professional game, thats what is happening to his peers.

To somehow compare Worthing, even with their current success as something superior to playing for our own U21's is foolish because the club doesnt think this either.

If as others have pointed out he is playing at a standard below what his undoubted talent perhaps deserves, I am not aware of any modern qualified development criteria which recommends such a pathway, usually you either nurture them within your own development structure or more likely 'push them on' within it.

Playing for Worthing is perhaps better than playing for our youth team but cannot be a credible alternative to playing regularly with our own U21's.

I am sure JMD would of preferred to of played at St James' Park, Newcastle a couple of weeks ago, in front of his U21's coaches who ultimately will make his own career decisions, in front of Peter Beardsley their U21's manager, probably 20+ scouts from the north east and 500+ supporters with and against other aspiring U21 professional's with a few over aged experienced professionals, but he didnt have that choice.

I am not blaming anyone here, but when the retained and released list is published for this season, it might be worth noting out of the 3 retained, 2 have played exclusively for the U21's with the other being loaned to a Vanarama South side, whilst the others being released have not really figured with the U21's whilst being loaned out to relatively low non league sides such as Worthing, with one exception who was loaned to another Vanarama side. Figure it out.

Good luck to Worthing and to JMD, but they wont be getting, Molumby, Rea, Hunt, , Bjordal or Ayunga anytime soon, they will remain playing with our U21's or if being loaned is deemed appropriate then only a side of at least Vanarama level or above would be considered for them.

For me I think JMD is too good not to find his way back into the U21's and he has some time as he had a longer deal than most and if as I hope he goes on to have some level of a successful career he will perhaps illogically refer to this loan spell as worthwhile, but please forget trying to associate the move as some positive progression, it clearly isnt, its just a choice of our youth team or a winning Worthing side.

What is your point? The club know how good JMD is, a few months of proper gritty football will only do him good.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is your point? The club know how good JMD is, a few months of proper gritty football will only do him good.

If you are unable to gleen my point then there is not much hope for us to discuss it.

Proper gritty football, are you a dinosaur, its comparatively low level non league, thats my point !!!

If our multi million pound Academy is not delivering 'proper gritty football' why arent those playing regularly for our U21's and being retained whilst doing so are not being loaned out to a similar level of club as Worthing ???

Dec 29, 2011
If you are unable to gleen my point then there is not much hope for us to discuss it.

Proper gritty football, are you a dinosaur, its comparatively low level non league, thats my point !!!

If our multi million pound Academy is not delivering 'proper gritty football' why arent those playing regularly for our U21's and being retained whilst doing so are not being loaned out to a similar level of club as Worthing ???

I read all of your post, there's so much ****ing waffle in there it made me hungry. You need to learn to be more succinct when making a point.

JMD is there for a few months, in which time he'll learn how to play against opponents who are bigger and stronger than him, how to deal with pitches that aren't as smooth as astroturf, how to deal with the nerves of big play-off matches, how to meet new people and settle into a team where not everyone is his friend.

There's more to being a good footballer than being a good footballer. It's about attitude, experiences, dealing with pressure. If you think three months out to learn these skills is going to dent his footballing career I would disagree. You don't develop that fast as a footballer, even if you're thrown into Championship football which he definitely wasn't going to be.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I read all of your post, there's so much ****ing waffle in there it made me hungry. You need to learn to be more succinct when making a point.

JMD is there for a few months, in which time he'll learn how to play against opponents who are bigger and stronger than him, how to deal with pitches that aren't as smooth as astroturf, how to deal with the nerves of big play-off matches, how to meet new people and settle into a team where not everyone is his friend.

There's more to being a good footballer than being a good footballer. It's about attitude, experiences, dealing with pressure. If you think three months out to learn these skills is going to dent his footballing career I would disagree. You don't develop that fast as a footballer, even if you're thrown into Championship football which he definitely wasn't going to be.

He didnt have the choice of U21's or Worthing, that was never the issue and thats the main point, he for whatever reason has been squirted out, show me the stats of his starts for the U21's, its all there if you care to look, it doesnt condemn him but it would be of some concern.

If as can happen it is somehow deemed that he needs to play against more experienced players within a different 'win' environment it isnt going to happen at Worthings level if comparing against the U21's, its a red herring there is nothing superior at Worthing that isnt already on offer within our own Academy.

The players are physically, psychologically, technically and tactically stronger within the professional system than anything that Worthing has to offer.

Its typical football drivel and cliché, 'proper gritty', 'bigger stronger', if as many posters seem to think he is too good for that level, why then let him experience it, which development criteria says a good learning curve is to play below your level, its an indication of the clubs current view on him.

My wifes a teacher, if she took her most able pupil and decided for sake of experience let him go and 'boss' a numeracy lesson with the dullards, she would be struck off, the school closed down and parents marching in the streets, but somehow in football its all wrapped up in jargon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Christ people are still arguing over this, he had a bad injury, the u21s had 1 game left, jmd needed matches it really is that simple.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
He didnt have the choice of U21's or Worthing, that was never the issue and thats the main point, he for whatever reason has been squirted out, show me the stats of his starts for the U21's, its all there if you care to look, it doesnt condemn him but it would be of some concern.

If as can happen it is somehow deemed that he needs to play against more experienced players within a different 'win' environment it isnt going to happen at Worthings level if comparing against the U21's, its a red herring there is nothing superior at Worthing that isnt already on offer within our own Academy.

The players are physically, psychologically, technically and tactically stronger within the professional system than anything that Worthing has to offer.

Its typical football drivel and cliché, 'proper gritty', 'bigger stronger', if as many posters seem to think he is too good for that level, why then let him experience it, which development criteria says a good learning curve is to play below your level, its an indication of the clubs current view on him.

My wifes a teacher, if she took her most able pupil and decided for sake of experience let him go and 'boss' a numeracy lesson with the dullards, she would be struck off, the school closed down and parents marching in the streets, but somehow in football its all wrapped up in jargon.

Is your surname Maguire Drew by any chance?

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Christ people are still arguing over this, he had a bad injury, the u21s had 1 game left, jmd needed matches it really is that simple.

Why we argueing about a young player who is doing well and playing football, we got a chance of promotion and people argueing over a young player who is doing well at a club, look at Vardy he played park football virtually before his chance at Fleetwood come along.
So stop complaining and be pleased he is doing well, we will see if develops if he does he will be loaned out to a better side next and if doesnt we will get rid of him, Simples.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why we argueing about a young player who is doing well and playing football, we got a chance of promotion and people argueing over a young player who is doing well at a club, look at Vardy he played park football virtually before his chance at Fleetwood come along.
So stop complaining and be pleased he is doing well, we will see if develops if he does he will be loaned out to a better side next and if doesnt we will get rid of him, Simples.

It all started so supportive, understanding and conciliatory, then WHAM have some of that ..........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is mathematics competitive then? The U21s had no more games to play. Worthing are playing competitive games. It's called getting experience.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Double barel names? What next ??? Players come out with buttlers instead of mascots and proseco for the posh birds at matches :nono: i'll bounce this in a couple of years when it happens

Regards

DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here