Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man of the Match Discussion (Merged Threads)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Are you being serious? Normally a big fan of Lopez but he was poor today. Heard a couple of people moan about obika after the game but also thought he looked good when he came on so what do I know.

You are kidding, some of his passing was superb yesterday. Seriously you cannot judge SD by the bad games he has had this season. Yesterday he along with several others played very well. There may have been other candidates for MoM but Dave winning it was by no means a stretch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You don't need to compare him to anyone, least of all 4 players that have had bit part roles all season.
I admit he played well against Leicester but to say he beat them on his own is a bit of a stretch, 2 superb balls don't make a season though, his free kick at Doncaster and volley against Birmingham were fantastic but other than those highlights he's been a passenger nearly all season. Yesterday was no different IMO. He's been dropped recently as he's been poor and we had more direct attacking players available after injury. For me Dale Stephens offered a lot more yesterday, passing, tackling, urgency and willingness.
I reckon we're nearly there.

No one else was playing those 2 superb balls, and no one else was going to play them that day.
They, in hindsight, were the difference between the teams.
But you're right they don't make a season, what they do is make his disappearing acts harder to fathom.

But yesterday SD was anything other than a passenger.
We can point to countless games this season, and last, where SD contributed very little.
Again I'd hazard a guess his poor performances far out number his great games, for the Albion, over both seasons.

But this has come about from yesterday's MotM award, where he was MotM, just, in my opinion.
Although the people making a case for Bruno are hard to argue with.
Had SD produced a poor performance, it too would have ruined Bruno's chances, as it's their interplay down the wing that was so good.

Stephens position on the pitch, in the formation we play requires hustle and bustle, he's here replacing Crofts.
SD provides the guile to 'unlock' the defence he can't, and never has done that, while being the spine of the team.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bruno and Lopez were easily the best players. Either of them were fair enough for MoM.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Ince for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here