Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
First run of the year yesterday afternoon - a little overdue, but better late than never.

5.5 miles in 50 minutes.
Not too disappointed, just under 10 minute miles. Will bring that down to 40 minutes by Easter time.

14 lbs gained between November and January, will get rid of that pronto!

I can see where the 'stone' comes from in Stoneham Park! Good luck in shedding the excess - guess it's diet + running rather than just running?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What would people recommend being able to run prior to the half marathon (and don't say 13.1 miles!).

As a novice I'm now at a painful 8 miles(from 2 miles about a month ago) which feels about my limit so far! The thought of doing that and another 5 miles as "training" is horrific. However if someone can provide me some comfort that I only really need to be able to run 11miles or so and then push through the rest on the fay, that would be great!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I can see where the 'stone' comes from in Stoneham Park! Good luck in shedding the excess - guess it's diet + running rather than just running?

Cheers!
Yep, I had about 6 weeks off from Football between November and now (Xmas + Waterlogs).
So 2-3 days fitness lost per week + terrible winter eating = fat gain double time!

I'm back on the normal healthy diet now and back to the normal fitness routine.

Weight loss = 75% in the kitchen & 25% on the track.
Can't outrun a bad diet.

What would people recommend being able to run prior to the half marathon (and don't say 13.1 miles!).

As a novice I'm now at a painful 8 miles(from 2 miles about a month ago) which feels about my limit so far! The thought of doing that and another 5 miles as "training" is horrific. However if someone can provide me some comfort that I only really need to be able to run 11miles or so and then push through the rest on the fay, that would be great!

Hey, I completed my first Half Marathon in Feb 2014 (Brighton).
I was relatively fit, a smoker and my longest run before the HM was 10 miles along the seafront.

I think it's definitely advisable to be able to run 13+ miles just so you know you can do it.

However, if you can run 10 miles already, you can run 10 miles in the HM and plod along for the remaining 3 at a slower pace.
The buzz and adrenaline from the HM will push you across the finish line.

Like in my previous post, I managed 5.5 miles yesterday, I'll jump on the Brighton HM if I can get hold of a ticket and just plod along whilst listening to some music. Easy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

10 is enough but 20-25 peak weekly mileage plus a taper.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If you've gone from two miles to eight miles (albeit panful ones) in a month, then you've got another month to (potentially) get to 13.1. Like [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] says, it's not all about the distance, it's more time on your feet, and mixing up the runs. Add in some shorter runs of hills and spadework, and you'll find the extra distance will come.

I can't really remember what I did for half training (it was probably 11/12 miles), but in training for my last marathon, I got up to 22 miles, so there's probably a similar percentage to be found. Either that, or check out some half-marathon training plans, which will probably give you a decent guide.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Went out and helped myself to a 10 mile run this morning which felt smashing, the puddles on the undercliff weren't very pleasant though - and no way to avoid them. I ran about 5 miles out to Saltdean and then ran back over the top, thought that would be tougher on the legs than the other way around.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I helped myself to a Strava estimated half marathon pb of 1:33:26, which is only about a minute shy of my proper pb! I'm really pleased with this as I deliberately controlled my pace and didn't go out too fast, keeping to an easy-ish pace for the most part.

* mustn't get over-confident, mustn't get over-confident, mustn't get... *

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
14 miles in just shy of 2 hours.
I shamefully didn't really stick to my training plan I've got a feeling I'm gonna pay for this on the day, but I just can't seem to control my pace. I know I'm gonna suffer as the distances get further.
I'm not really sure what to do, its my stupid brain telling me to go faster.
Any tips on beating this?
https://www.strava.com/activities/478145661

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I shamefully didn't really stick to my training plan I've got a feeling I'm gonna pay for this on the day, but I just can't seem to control my pace. I know I'm gonna suffer as the distances get further.

Go slower. You're welcome :)

In all seriousness i struggle with pacing as well. Good example today - was an 'easy' recovery run for 30-40 mins, which should mean slower than 9 min miles. Didn't look at my watch much and consciously (sometimes) tried to go slow but still averaged about 8.15s, which is too close to Z3 really (and means it wasn't really 'recovery', which then in turn means it impacts the next 'effort' session).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I recognise that route. Hilly Hastings half. Are you doing Brighton Marathon? I would not run a 6 mile uphill in training followed by 6 mile downhill personally.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I recognise that route. Hilly Hastings half. Are you doing Brighton Marathon? I would not run a 6 mile uphill in training followed by 6 mile downhill personally.

Yeah I'm doing the Brighton marathon.
I do struggle with route planning locally as there is usually a big hill somewhere unless I run along the coast to Eastbourne which I probably will do at some point.
Where would you suggest I try to plan my hills? I've run this route a few times sometimes with the hills at the beginning and other times with them at the end.
Or should I be avoiding so many hills? I just keep telling myself that the hills are good preparation, but as I've mentioned before I know very little about race preparation. The furthest distance I've done before is half marathons and I just trained when and how I wanted without preparation, I know I won't get away with this in a marathon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah I'm doing the Brighton marathon.
I do struggle with route planning locally as there is usually a big hill somewhere unless I run along the coast to Eastbourne which I probably will do at some point.
Where would you suggest I try to plan my hills? I've run this route a few times sometimes with the hills at the beginning and other times with them at the end.
Or should I be avoiding so many hills? I just keep telling myself that the hills are good preparation, but as I've mentioned before I know very little about race preparation. The furthest distance I've done before is half marathons and I just trained when and how I wanted without preparation, I know I won't get away with this in a marathon.

Friend has just moved to Dane Road and it is all hilly. I would run down to the seafront and go past the Spike Milligan sculpture and over the little headland to Bexhill and the flatlands of Pevensey. Mixing in a few hill repeats here or there, such as that small headland.If you survive the hills they won't do you any harm but Brighton course is only a little hilly.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Friend has just moved to Dane Road and it is all hilly. I would run down to the seafront and go past the Spike Milligan sculpture and over the little headland to Bexhill and the flatlands of Pevensey. Mixing in a few hill repeats here or there, such as that small headland.If you survive the hills they won't do you any harm but Brighton course is only a little hilly.

Sounds a nice route, the main problem I have is I live just off the ridge which is a fairly high point in Hastings so most of my runs I have to get back home up hills. I will try to drive down to the seafront to start but I'm not always able, as the wife has the car.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds a nice route, the main problem I have is I live just off the ridge which is a fairly high point in Hastings so most of my runs I have to get back home up hills. I will try to drive down to the seafront to start but I'm not always able, as the wife has the car.

You are a Ghurka or Sherpa. Looks like you have no choice but to climb.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Have you considered regulating yourself by running at a controlled heart rate rather than speed? Just the novelty might help and you can set your garmin to nag you every time you exceed the threshold.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Have you considered regulating yourself by running at a controlled heart rate rather than speed? Just the novelty might help and you can set your garmin to nag you every time you exceed the threshold.

I could, but I have a garmin with a heart rate strap which I find irritating to wear.
Although I could use this as an excuse to upgrade.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
not a regular on here and do most of my running in the dark winter evenings - 5 miles @ 40 mins, from 8.46 to 7.30 for final mile.

How much faster (say in % terms) do people run in daylight?

serious question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here