Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I don't get this. Despite being from London (where there are plenty to choose from), I have never even considered supporting a Premier League team as a 2nd favourite club. I do follow Barnet, as they were my local club growing up, but not sure that this is quite what you mean.

Replying to all those flabbergasted - refer to the positive thing we are all very happy about: Albion shirts now being the norm amongst kids of all ages. But what was happening before that?

Supporting a top flight team will have been a "fitting in" decision before it was a footballing one. Enjoying the football of a successful team and feeling an affinity with that success, however "misguided" it seems to "purists", will in some cases have been a positive and a pleasure for many kids who maybe didn't have much else. These same kids as locals will also have followed and supported the Albion... experiencing something different - and sowing the seeds for a true love of the club. Why vilify those who want to confess their childhood interest in top-level football?

The "grind" of supporting Albion through tough times we all know full well has made our revival all the sweeter. I say let those who followed other teams as kids admit it, and be "forgiven", rather than forcing them to hide it, as though the joy of Albion's resurrection weren't enough - but the "unbelievers" must be put to the sword, so they know who is "better", in an echo of the playground; the cruelty of which their football interests were designed to help them evade.

:albion2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just to add to this... i am very happy seeing man u's demise... horrid team, horrid fans.

The paradox here is that if you go to OT you will meet many knowledgeable, passionate and fair minded United fans, who haven't forgotten the likes of Ralph Milne and Alan Brazil playing for them. They are aware of the issues relating to the Glazers, hate City, Leeds and Liverpool with a passion every time those teams play, and are excellent company, as are the majority of fans of most clubs.

They aren't plastic, although I'm in a slightly different viewpoint to you given where I live.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

They aren't plastic, although I'm in a slightly different viewpoint to you given where I live.

What is 'plastic' though? I think to gain that label, you need to conform to the following criteria to an extent.

1. Supporting a club that wins a lot (Man Utd 90s 00s).
2. Supporting a club from an area you have no connection with or interest in (like being born there or living there).
3. Not attending (m)any matches.

I know loads of 'plastics' who are getting very upset about their new found love for the Albion and can't answer the question: 'who will you support when Brighton play your other team'. Most are Utd fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What is 'plastic' though? I think to gain that label, you need to conform to the following criteria to an extent.

2. Supporting a club from an area you have no connection with or interest in (like being born there or living there).

I know loads of 'plastics' who are getting very upset about their new found love for the Albion and can't answer the question: 'who will you support when Brighton play your other team'. Most are Utd fans.

1: Rules out Andy Naylor from being accused of being a plastic Stoke fan, which seems fair enough to me.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

Agree with that on the whole, but what about an American/Indian/Korean fan who, at a young age, chose a "soccer" team shown on the tv. It happened to be Man Utd, then he follows them the rest of his life. Unfortunately because of the distance and the prohibitive costs he rarely getting a chance to watch them live. Yet he feels the highs and lows as acutely as the people in the stadium. Waking at 3 in the morning to watch Man United play their first leg away to Burton Albion in the EFL Cup, organising a fan group in his nearest city etc.

I've met Serbian Newcastle fans who have zero links to the club beyond seeing Shearer get a 15 minute hattrick against Leicester and being hooked. Or a Brazilian Blyth Spartans fan. I mean, Blyth Spartans ffs.

I think your plastic criteria works well for a lot, but there can be fans who meet them who're as connected to the club as anyone born in the same postcode as the Stadium.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The paradox here is that if you go to OT you will meet many knowledgeable, passionate and fair minded United fans, who haven't forgotten the likes of Ralph Milne and Alan Brazil playing for them. They are aware of the issues relating to the Glazers, hate City, Leeds and Liverpool with a passion every time those teams play, and are excellent company, as are the majority of fans of most clubs.

i am sure that there are some knowledgeable, and "proper" fans however as a percentage i would say man u fans are the worst. During the 90's and early 2000's was utterly unbearable. Hopefully now they are a dying breed.

example Rachel Riley... why is she a man u fan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For exactly the same as my children are Albion fans.

With me as their father they had no choice in the matter, neither did she.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Football is one of those sports where you really need to choose a team to support. For some fans this is the same as choosing who you want to win F1 or a boxing match, very different to loving your local team and the blood, sweat and tears of following them through thick and thin for decades. I love the Albion and have been going to games since 76, but I have never even considered supporting another team. Now we are in the big time though, I feel like I am leaving something behind that I will miss - the fight for promotion, being the underdog etc. I will struggle to get to as many games now as I am not a STH, but will compensate by going to some Lewes games, (DF is doing well there). Ironically, I will be happy to say "Yeah, I support Lewes, but my first team is BHA in Prem."

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Football is one of those sports where you really need to choose a team to support. For some fans this is the same as choosing who you want to win F1 or a boxing match, very different to loving your local team and the blood, sweat and tears of following them through thick and thin for decades. I love the Albion and have been going to games since 76, but I have never even considered supporting another team. Now we are in the big time though, I feel like I am leaving something behind that I will miss - the fight for promotion, being the underdog etc. I will struggle to get to as many games now as I am not a STH, but will compensate by going to some Lewes games, (DF is doing well there). Ironically, I will be happy to say "Yeah, I support Lewes, but my first team is BHA in Prem."

I use to love going to the withdean. I loved the fact i could park in the road opposite to the ground and be in my seat within 5 mins of parking up. I could get back to my car in a few minutes if i didn't pop to the brewery tap for a drink. No park and ride crap. I use to love the fact the rocket man would set off a rocket off for each goal (it was quirky and unique) he stopped once a falling rocket landed on me at the wolves 4-1 or watford 4-0 games) forget which one off the top of my head. I use to love the fact that i would leave a cpl of mins from the end just so i could watch the last few mins at pitch side with a managers view. The Amex just feels like the big time (which is good) brighton is a proper big club now. I liked the charm of the withdean. I am the opposite to a glory fan, i go off a team when they start doing well as i hate the influx of new fans. I like the underdog. I am a spurs fan and as a kid when i started going to spurs and we were doing well if we finished in the top half of the table. I liked that. Nowdays we are one of the best teams in the league and that's a weird feeling.

I think i need to find a new lower league team.... AFC wimbledon near by for me... I now the prem is the promised land and is a fantastic achievement but i just prefer lower league football... I would have more pride in saying i support for example AFC wimbledon than saying i support chelsea. As soon as i hear that someone supports a non prem team i find that i respect them more and know that they will have a good knowledge of their team and football as a whole. The amount of prem fans that have no clue of lower leagues pisses me off. Rant over

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I have been reading this thread, with a view to responding that I have received nothing but congratulations from my work colleagues and friends, who are Premier League/Championship supporters - even some of the Palarse fans I know have grudgingly praised our season. But then today out of the blue, someone I know is a Chelski fan (never goes to a home or away game because "it's too expensive, but I used to go all the time") comes up to me today (don't usually talk him at all) and dishes out the "so you'll be the cannon fodder for us next season, unless you spend big" - ****.

There's always one..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

For exactly the same reason I'm a Brighton fan.

Her Dad, who was from Salford, is a Man Utd fan. I was born in Rochdale, my Dad was from Brighton and i'd have been raised a Brighton fan even if we'd remained up north.

I don't think Reily is a good example of a plastic fan if you are raised to be a fan of a club you've got family ties to etc.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
For exactly the same reason I'm a Brighton fan.

Her Dad, who was from Salford, is a Man Utd fan. I was born in Rochdale, my Dad was from Brighton and i'd have been raised a Brighton fan even if we'd remained up north.

I don't think Reily is a good example of a plastic fan if you are raised to be a fan of a club you've got family ties to etc.

ok... i obviosuly didn't know enough about her family. During the 90's everyone seemed to support man u

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sent to me today. Ho hum

Attachments

• IMG_5774.PNG
    IMG_5774.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Have you read the book " Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil ?
The history of Cowdenbeath ........tells the story of where the nickname came from .

Three of us. Last game I went to was Dundee away. 2-1 to Cowden. Oh how times have changed. Anyone for Gala Fairydean next season?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I use to love going to the withdean. I loved the fact i could park in the road opposite to the ground and be in my seat within 5 mins of parking up. I could get back to my car in a few minutes if i didn't pop to the brewery tap for a drink. No park and ride crap.

FLOUTING the clubs no parking zone then.

Tut tut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here