Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We are not going to spend or compete with Newcastle, Villa, Wolves and we are losing out to Sheffield Wednesday for players... We are getting very close to panic buying mode...

Are we losing out to Weds? There wasn't anything concrete that we had bid for him. And Wolves? They've got a new owner but they've not spent much, if any so far so there's no guarantee they'll be a financial heavyweight in this division.

We're not at the panic buying stage yet - there's still a little over a month before the window closes.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
He is the difference between Autos and Playoffs for me. That extra goal, that extra assist which will count towards where we finish.

In that respect he is priceless.

We would have to spend pretty much all of the money we get for him on another winger to get the same result. So why sell?

Only reason would be if his head gets turned. Otherwise we won't sell.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
IF we sell, does it mean Blooms time is up?

I love the man but can we realistically compete without the big money of some of these clubs? I'm not trying to bait someone into an argument here, just asking the question.
If you are not a Palace troll, that is the most depressing football related post I have read on here in a long time. That anyone would want to swap a lifelong fan who has spent a quarter of a billion pounds running the club correctly and securing a long term future for the club for a foreign investor to throw money at a pet/vanity project staggers me considering our recent history. The money being thrown around now in football is ridiculous and we are more than competing by running the club under the current rules which are massively in favour of relegated teams. Bloom's methodology has always been signing experienced players cheaply or investing in younger players with sell on potential. You can't keep throwing money at getting to the PL. You get good players and then if you get a very, very good offer then you take it and start again. We aren't talking about a fire sale or a chairman selling players to line his own pockets.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Complete opposite to Kayal. AK has 3 years left on contract = we don't need to sell or it will take a huge bid.

All this Newcastle are certs to go straight back up is getting on my tits too. They will if other Championship clubs sell them their best players.
Everyone thought QPR would go straight back up. It's not that easy.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Genuinely disgusts me that these teams get relegated then cherry pick all the best players from the teams in the championship, absolute joke. Don't get me wrong I love Knocky, but he's only been here 6 months and despite us having good promotion prospects you couldn't blame him wanting to go for the money and the fact that they are a bigger club than us.

If they come in with 10m+ and he wants to leave, realistically we need to accept he will be gone regardless because they can pay much higher wages.. So let's hope he wants to stay. Personally I'm not convinced.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Complete opposite to Kayal. AK has 3 years left on contract = we don't need to sell or it will take a huge bid.

All this Newcastle are certs to go straight back up is getting on my tits too. They will if other Championship clubs sell them their best players.

All the 3 relegated teams need to do is purchase all the promotion chasing teams best players and it'll be nailed on they all get promoted at the first attempt and that's why we must'nt sell because if we do then we might as well plan for the 2017-18 season and write this one off.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
7 million for Dunk, 6 million for Stephens, 10 million for Knockheart - that is a lot of money. I just hope TB keeps his nerve. The best way to keep those players imo is to spend some serious money on a couple of players so they see their best chance of getting into the Premier League is staying with Brighton

In the current market these are awful numbers for us and we shouldn't even consider selling if these are real bids. If TB sells for those prices then he should be embarrassed at his lack of understanding of the market in which he operates (I hasten to add that I don't think he will sell, at least not at those low prices).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Me too - we took £8m for Ulloa and look where he ended up.

Ulloa was 29, Knocky is 24 (that's 5 years extra top class footballer)

My season ticket cost £700. That is Premier League footballer prices. I hope we can keep him!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Where did I say I would be happy, I would not be happy or sad it's the game we are in and we have to acknowledge and admit bigger clubs will swoop for our stars that is a fact.

We are not a big club, we are not a promotion favorite by any stretch of the imagination.

We are a good Championship team with play off prospects, that is it.

We are not going to spend or compete with Newcastle, Villa, Wolves and we are losing out to Sheffield Wednesday for players... We are getting very close to panic buying mode...

There's a lot of truth in what you've said but we haven't lost out to Sheff Weds. The Abdi thing was a nonsense rumour by a twitter account with about 7 followers, that only appears to tweet Sheff Weds "news", which said we'd offered 40k a week. It's clearly just a tragic 14yo Wednesday in his bedroom.

There will be a price for every one of our players, as there is for every club. Pretty much only Madrid & Barca are non-selling clubs, at the right price. But the likes of Dunk, Stephens, Hemed, Kayal, March & Knockaert...Their worth to us is into 8 figures every time I would have thought. If Newcastle want to pay what we ask for, good luck to them. We'll be ~£15m better off and have money to burn on a replacement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think if his head is turned and Newcastle are a big club with a class manager we can't stop him to be fair who would blame him.

so get the maximum we can is now the game.

With that attitude we'll be staying in the Championship,

Watch the domino effect with the rest of our good players if that happens.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Genuinely disgusts me that these teams get relegated then cherry pick all the best players from the teams in the championship, absolute joke. Don't get me wrong I love Knocky, but he's only been here 6 months and despite us having good promotion prospects you couldn't blame him wanting to go for the money and the fact that they are a bigger club than us.

If they come in with 10m+ and he wants to leave, realistically we need to accept he will be gone regardless because they can pay much higher wages.. So let's hope he wants to stay. Personally I'm not convinced.

Pretty much how I see it.

Newcastle will probably triple his wages, you can't blame players for having their heads turned when a bigger club comes in and makes them a millionaire.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
If you are not a Palace troll, that is the most depressing football related post I have read on here in a long time. That anyone would want to swap a lifelong fan who has spent a quarter of a billion pounds running the club correctly and securing a long term future for the club for a foreign investor to throw money at a pet/vanity project staggers me considering our recent history. The money being thrown around now in football is ridiculous and we are more than competing by running the club under the current rules which are massively in favour of relegated teams. Bloom's methodology has always been signing experienced players cheaply or investing in younger players with sell on potential. You can't keep throwing money at getting to the PL. You get good players and then if you get a very, very good offer then you take it and start again. We aren't talking about a fire sale or a chairman selling players to line his own pockets.

I could not have worded it better myself. Thumbs up.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If I was in AK's shoes, I'd be off to Newcastle like a shot. Big fat contract, nice signing on fee and much better prospects of Premier League football next season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Really ?

QPR were relegated with a whimper in complete turmoil, with a squad packed to the rafters with a bunch of overpaid wastrels, and with Chris Ramsey as manager. I don't think ANYONE had them pegged as contenders to bounce straight back up, they were in a mess that they still haven't recovered from.

Newcastle only lost something like 1 in their last 8 games under Benitez, and had he been given more than 10 games he would in all likelihood have kept them up. They've retained most of the squad and are spending money on some proven performers at this level. Its far from a formality obviously, but I'll be amazed if they're not in the top 2 come the end of the season. Their biggest enemy could be the pressure, as every game they play in this league will be a "cup final" for the opposition. But they've got a manager who more than knows how to deal with that pressure. I think they're nailed on, unfortunately.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah Villa are more like QPR when they were relegated. A total mess.

Agreed, there are a lot of similarities. Villa are similarly lumbered with a hopeless bunch of expensive failures on big contracts who nobody will want to touch with a shitty stick. They'll be midtable at best, and could well spend the season looking over their shoulders at Barnsley and Rovrum.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If he goes and it must be if. It will be on our terms and not theirs. He has plenty left on his contract and is absolutely crucial to us. I would not accept any less than £15m not because he is worth that, but because if we are going to sell it has to be such a stellar offer that we cannot refuse. At £10m say we would probably get that next summer anyway so what's in it for us?

To be worth it to us it has to be enough money that we can improve 2 or 3 other positions as well as replacing him with a good, if not as good, a player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here