Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
View attachment 75839

And it's not just Farage remember. This disgrace was only 6 weeks ago.
And this disgrace was only the other day , here, in England , 13450251_10153786158640369_2322212985321574512_n.jpg mediaeval treatment of women, by.the new mayor of our capital city , who has already started with his backward religions practices with the picture legislation, disguised obviously

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You're embarrassing yourself.
I'm sure this will be decried as a stunt or gimmick. But I have genuinely been undecided about the referendum. I have concerns about mass economic immigration but not genuine refugees or skilled labour. I also have concerns about the potential effect on the economy of leaving. I was hoping for a reasoned debate from people in the know but get ridiculous scaremongering and lies from both sides. So I was still none the wiser.

But the aftermath of this tragic event has really brought home how the preponderance of thoroughly unpleasant people are on the Leave side. And that includes on here as well as in the wider public eye. People who squeal Muslim at the first sign of any other atrocity are pleading to leave politics out of it when it is a far right scumbag instead of a religiously motivated scumbag who is involved. I cannot in all good conscience vote alongside such people.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The political environment has become increasingly toxic. From how MPs behave towards each other in public, plus the conduct of various people within the referendum on both sides, and including the "commentators".

It spills over into "normal" life, you only have to look at the language used on this forum to see that.

People in the public eye DO influence behaviour and norms. The perceived breakdown of respect in our society isn't (as far as I can see), down to our culture being stolen. Far from it, it's this idea that you can say what you want with no repercussions. From "bantz" to the sort of crap Hopkins says.

The bile and hatred spouted is exaggerated at the extremes, be it by patronising intellectuals, religious zealots or nationalists. There is no doubt in my mind that this facilitates a platform where aggressive or violent acts can be rationalised in the minds of some people.

It's so wrong.

You make some interesting points. I would also add another factor in pushing people to the extremes is continually ignoring their concerns or constantly labelling people as racists/xenophobes trying to silence legitimate debate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm sure this will be decried as a stunt or gimmick. But I have genuinely been undecided about the referendum. I have concerns about mass economic immigration but not genuine refugees or skilled labour. I also have concerns about the potential effect on the economy of leaving. I was hoping for a reasoned debate from people in the know but get ridiculous scaremongering and lies from both sides. So I was still none the wiser.

But the aftermath of this tragic event has really brought home how the preponderance of thoroughly unpleasant people are on the Leave side. And that includes on here as well as in the wider public eye. People who squeal Muslim at the first sign of any other atrocity are pleading to leave politics out of it when it is a far right scumbag instead of a religiously motivated scumbag who is involved. I cannot in all good conscience vote alongside such people.

I think you echo the thoughts of many as it goes. I started the referendum campaign with the intention to vote leave. I'm horrified by their campaign.

I'll add I'm not massively impressed by the remain campaign either.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And this disgrace was only the other day , here, in England , View attachment 75841 mediaeval treatment of women, by.the new mayor of our capital city , who has already started with his backward religions practices with the picture legislation, disguised obviously

Is he advocating the medieval treatment of women on page 5 of The Sun though? Or do you not understand what we're talking about?

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you echo the thoughts of many as it goes. I started the referendum campaign with the intention to vote leave. I'm horrified by their campaign.

I'll add I'm not massively impressed by the remain campaign either.
I have been very, very unhappy with the conduct of both sides. And had been edging towards leave in theory at times with nagging doubts that it was siding with Farage et al. I still don't know which is best for the country. But I now know which way I will vote. Very sad that this has been the deciding factor.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You make some interesting points. I would also add another factor in pushing people to the extremes is continually ignoring their concerns or constantly labelling people as racists/xenophobes trying to silence legitimate debate.

I agree with you as it goes. However, there's also a difference between having legitimate views on migration and being a fascist. The unfortunate nature of the debate is that x% of people espousing views on immigration ARE racists. It would be better to not court those peoples votes or inflame their passions if you ask me.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1

Well said that man.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And this disgrace was only the other day , here, in England , View attachment 75841 mediaeval treatment of women, by.the new mayor of our capital city , who has already started with his backward religions practices with the picture legislation, disguised obviously

As a woman, can I ask what you think is a disgrace?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And a stirrer poking his nose in card being played.

Interesting that pointing out that the current political climate could be an influencing factor in this murder, that the right-wing press's recent rhetoric could lead an already mentally unstable person to commit an atrocity and attempting to illustrate the double standards in the way our press and police deal with these sorts of crimes, seemingly based on the ethnicity of the perpetrator is stirring.

Yet Britain First are brave defenders of free speech and Nigel Farage is just having an 'honest debate.'

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I agree with you as it goes. However, there's also a difference between having legitimate views on migration and being a fascist. The unfortunate nature of the debate is that x% of people espousing views on immigration ARE racists. It would be better to not court those peoples votes or inflame their passions if you ask me.

Discounting the rare extreme example that would be a difficult message to calibrate. One persons inflaming passions is another persons legitimate line of debate.

As far as I have seen or read there is no evidence that the Referendum debate is an any way a factor in this man's actions. He has long standing mental issues and has held far right opinions for a long time.

Unfortunately some people do seem keen to suggest a link and exploit this tragic murder to indulge in the very behaviour I described previously.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

This is more or less what I said to my father last night. He was thinking of voting Leave but I said, "Do you really want to align yourself with the violent and racist agenda of the Far-right?". I reminded him that these were the sort of people this country fought against in the Second World War for our liberty and freedom.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Discounting the rare extreme example that would be a difficult message to calibrate. One persons inflaming passions is another persons legitimate line of debate.

As far as I have seen or read there is no evidence that the Referendum debate is an any way a factor in this man's actions. He has long standing mental issues and has held far right opinions for a long time.

Unfortunately some people do seem keen to suggest a link and exploit this tragic murder to indulge in the very behaviour I described previously.

You dont see "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain" as a bit of a clue?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It's interesting that when a mentally ill facist commits an atrocity, it seems to happen in a vacuum, yet when a mentally ill muslim commits an atrocity there's all kind of influencing factors speculatively attributed to it.

Have a look at the Anders Breivik case for further confirmation.

You've also got loons like @siralbion talking about wars to come out of the EU. That is hook line and sinker the rhetoric that The Express, The Mail and The Sun have been churning out. And it's quite clearly bollocks, whether you are a leaver or a remainer.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I don't think it's as rare as you think. How much did the BNP poll at one point? Those people haven't just disappeared into the ether. They're still politically engaged but where?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Anti Terrorist squad are investigating this murder. It's detailed in the Huddersfield Examiner.
Why do you think his first court appearance wasn't in Dewsbury, or Leeds magistrate's court? Even the Yorkshire Ripper had his Sending hearing in Dewsbury magistrates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here