Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed to Reading?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Argus online doesn't quite say this:

"Tomer Hemed is likely to leave Albion before the transfer window closes at the end of the month if the deal for Dwamena goes through."
Yes, but look back a couple days in the argus archives....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hemed better than Barnes? I think you'll struggle to make that argument.

I was always a fan of Barnes, I have his name on a shirt. He contributed a lot to the team at the time he was here, I would much rather have Barnes in the team than Hemed.

Stats wise he pisses all over him.

Anyway , that's been done to death.

Point was he proved it in championship and could prove it in the prem. Its not a given he wont be decent.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Argus online doesn't quite say this:

"Tomer Hemed is likely to leave Albion before the transfer window closes at the end of the month if the deal for Dwamena goes through."

Lowers expectations, I have no doubt we'll be in for another striker if Hemed leaves.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least he got to play in the Premier League. He even had a shot on target at Leicester.

If I were him it would be tough to be leaving and not feel shortchanged by the experience.
Fingers crossed (for all our sanity) there's still a chance that can be rectified on Saturday with the introduction of Jose.

It would be nice if he could play a game in the same postcode as at least 1 teammate.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree , I thought the signing of Murray was odd when we had him on loan to the end of the season . I'd sell Murray over hemed

The signing of Murray was in case we didn't go up in my view. If we hadn't secured him permanently and not gone up, then we'd have been chasing him during the summer as well as replacing the likes of Stephens, Stockdale and possibly also Knockaert/Dunk. Securing our top scorer was a logical step (and he's only got two years left on his contract now if he doesn't perform this season).

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
For me it seems really obvious that the biggest reason we are struggling is the lack of pace from our available strikers. Murray and Hemed are highly unlikely to get in behind premier league defenses which makes us pretty predictable. Push our wingers back or force them inside and we will struggle against pretty much anyone. Add in a threat of pace at the focal point of our attack and things should be easier for the rest of the side. I know it's a tough window but our failure to bring in such a striker for the first 3 games has been a massive mistake.

I agree totally, however you have to play to the strengths of what you have now, so no use thinking if we had pace we could knock it over the top for them to chase.

Murray's chance that he failed to connect with showed that given the right supply he is dangerous, his movement and speed of thought got him ahead of his marker, he needs more of that sort of service.

Annoyingly we do have the players to do this, March and Knockaert are definitely capable of getting past their man, Murphy is different, he always comes inside and rarely takes on his man, which is a shame because he does have the pace to do it.

Cant wait to see Izquierdo but from what i have seen on clips he is another that wants to come inside, so i dont see the service improving with him.

Also Suttner needs to offer more offensively, in the way Bong or Pocognoli did last season by supporting the left winger, maybe he's being instructed not to go too far forward, maybe it's confidence, im hoping its the latter, because that, hopefully, will come when hes played more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The club's opinion is that we are turning down bids for him.

They may be so low as to be insulting. IMHO if he does go we should look at replacing him withth a like for like and hopefully make some money on it by not paying as big a fee as we receive and hopefully keep the wages at nearly the same. Been done to death but the 2 names that spring out at me both with Premier experience of varying degrees are Ulloa and Crouch. A different type striker valued on transfermarket at about £8m Loic Remy.

PS Just googled it Remy is on loan at Palace but is injured out for a couple of months, so that rules him out back to the drawing board

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I suspect you may be right but by no means is it certain. Look at Ashley Barnes. He had good input in keeping Burnley up and Tomer is arguably much better so far.

I just think he culd do a job. I'd be more inclined to whinge up about what we haven't got than pulling apart what we have. Ideal world he will compliment what we have and a couple more.

Further example at the same club, Sam Vokes. You'd be hard pushed to argue that Vokes looked a better player than Tomer when we had him. Some will make the step up, some won't. But sometimes those who the consensus would be that they are short of the desired quality are the ones who make it. You are obviously right, it is possible he would prove himself at this level given the chance. He may not. But anyone describing that as a fact or reality can join the Jamie Redknapp "literally" club.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The signing of Murray was in case we didn't go up in my view. If we hadn't secured him permanently and not gone up, then we'd have been chasing him during the summer as well as replacing the likes of Stephens, Stockdale and possibly also Knockaert/Dunk. Securing our top scorer was a logical step (and he's only got two years left on his contract now if he doesn't perform this season).
I also think that securing Murray for a few years was also in case we go straight back down. He'd be good to have in a squad looking to bounce back first time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I also think that securing Murray for a few years was also in case we go straight back down. He'd be good to have in a squad looking to bounce back first time.

The signing of Murray was in case we didn't go up in my view.

or perhaps because we hoped we'd get promoted and getting a Premier League striker for £3m , even at the age of 33, was an absolute bargain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that given the service Murray will prove to be a good signing even in this league b ut I am convinced that if Hemed does go he must be replaced with a like for like as back up/ competition for Murray.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hemed better than Barnes? I think you'll struggle to make that argument.

I was always a fan of Barnes, I have his name on a shirt. He contributed a lot to the team at the time he was here, I would much rather have Barnes in the team than Hemed.

Barnes looks likely to be playing in the Championship with Hemed this season.
Burnley looking to sell.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barnes has been playing in the Premier League for 2 seasons, and he's younger. Your point?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Not trying to make a point. Just saying in a thread discussing potential prem quality strikers, options for Albion & referencing Ashley Barnes that its being reported that he's off to the Championship as is Tomer.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Not trying to make a point. Just saying in a thread discussing potential prem quality strikers, options for Albion & referencing Ashley Barnes that its being reported that he's off to the Championship as is Tomer.

Where have you read that Barnes is off to the Championship?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I thought I'd seen him linked with Newcastle and Huddersfield (obviously).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not going to lie, I'm not Hemed's biggest fan and if we were in a position to replace one of the three main strikers from last year with an upgrade, then Hemed would be the one for me.

However, we're currently short of Baldock with no alternative yet purchased, so I see absolutely no sense in selling Hemed unless we have someone lined up as an immediate replacement that Hughton believes is of guaranteed Premier League quality. With the amount of money already spent, I'd be surprised if such a replacement is currently in the pipeline, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here