Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone looked at WACCOE to see if there is a thread along the lines of 'my mate's dad is taxi driver and you'll never guess who he picked up from Turf Moor and brought to our medical centre!"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, since you ask, he was playing at Rochdale and scoring a goal in every other game he played. And since then his goal scoring ratio has been as nearly as impressive, and at higher levels.

Time will tell, of course. I wish Barnes well but I doubt very much he'll ever be a 20 a season championship striker.

Yep at 24 Murray was scoring goals at Rochdale but he wasn't experiencing the Championship at that age. In our promotion season Barnes out scored Murray.

What I disagree with is when people say that players will not develop past the age of 24 unless they are brilliant already. (Edit) Unless they are called Ryan Harley

As you say though time will tell, but Barnes has the time.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yep at 24 Murray was scoring goals at Rochdale but he wasn't experiencing the Championship at that age. In our promotion season Barnes out scored Murray.

What I disagree with is when people say that players will not develop past the age of 24 unless they are brilliant already. (Edit) Unless they are called Ryan Harley

By promotion season do you mean the season we won league 1, or do you mean the season we started at the Amex after promotion?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are getting pretty adept at letting our promotion rivals have strikers to help them finish above us :down:

Can't imagine any other Championship clubs doing the same for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Barnes scored 20 in the promotion season and Murray 22.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It smacks of us not wanting to break our wage structure. A good thing

Smack of not offering him a fair deal and wanting him enough.

Let's hope we don't take as long to replace him as Murray - CMS and Ulloa and £5m.

Better to pay what he is worth than cutting off our nose to spite our face.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How long does it take for a medical ? Is he stalling over the deal with Burnley know he knows Leeds are interested ? Will he be having talks at Elland Road tomorrow ?

Argus now saying the medical has been completed and the official announcement will be made tomorrow.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They have an 8 million parachute payment ( last year for them ) and maybe a big cheque for Ings on the way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Argus/Andy Naylor now reporting that its all done and dusted.

"Albion striker Ashley Barnes is poised to complete a move to Burnley tomorrow.
Barnes has passed a medical at Turf Moor and agreed personal terms, The Argus understands.
Leeds United's hopes of hijacking the deal appear to have been dashed, barring a last-gasp change of heart, although confirmation of Barnes' departure from The Amex is not expected until the morning.
He will move north for an undisclosed fee, believed to be in the region of £750,000."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/109...ch_update__Barnes_on_brink_of_Burnley_switch/

Stumpy Tim

Smack of not offering him a fair deal and wanting him enough.

Let's hope we don't take as long to replace him as Murray - CMS and Ulloa and £5m.

Better to pay what he is worth than cutting off our nose to spite our face.

How do you know what Barnes was offered? I know that Barnes was asking for wages we couldn't compete with... and for a backup striker (which is what he was for us), we shouldn't cave in. That's the Pompey way

Aug 23, 2011
I think this is the last year of their Parachute payments from their brief spell in the PL. Shit or bust for them I suspect.

I doubt it's shit or bust, they seem to be a well run club. They didn't splash out when in the premier league and they have received good fees recently for j rod and Austin and together with parachute payments they are probably in a fairly decent state.

Aug 23, 2011
How do you know what Barnes was offered? I know that Barnes was asking for wages we couldn't compete with... and for a backup striker (which is what he was for us), we shouldn't cave in. That's the Pompey way

How do you know what he wanted? It's probably more wouldn't compete with as opposed to couldn't which is fine. I would rather follow the arsenal policy of having a wage structure and not being held to ransom by players. Sometimes it's better the devil you know though

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apparently the delay in the medical was due to him falling over clutching his knee and shouting "Ref!" Just what I've heard.

He was apparently waiting outside the examination room for 3 hours until the tannoy announcement was altered to say number 9 ..... at the beginning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here