What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The street name is a giveaway.

volunteer4.jpg

The last remnants of the barracks behind the library and where the Prince Regent swimming pool is now, are some marble decorations inlaid in the pavement as you go north towards North Road. I think it might be a regimental emblem.

Didn't know that about the barracks.
Been past that pub many times, never been in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I haven't got the book but it sounds interesting. The pub that was the Volunteer is very near where the old barracks used to be near the library.

Now called The Mash Tun.Not as good as it was when it was the Volunteer

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Now called The Mash Tun.Not as good as it was when it was the Volunteer

That's right. I think the marble paving has now been cemented over as I can't spot it on Google Maps but I swear there used to be the remains of one in Barracks Yard off North Road. Can you shed any light on this?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks.

Sticking with the same area, was the St James' Tavern always so named? I am in doubt because I believe the Bulldog used to be called the St James' Tavern so it seems unlikely they'd both have had the same name at the same time

Golden Lion was called The Star Inn before.

My mother worked opposite the St James' Tavern late 70s early 80s, don't remember it being called any other name.
Don't know what the Bulldog was called.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks.

Sticking with the same area, was the St James' Tavern always so named? I am in doubt because I believe the Bulldog used to be called the St James' Tavern so it seems unlikely they'd both have had the same name at the same time

I remember going into the Bulldog in the late 70s and it was called the Bulldog then - a very different clientele though :lolol: Of course, it could have been St J T before then

That leads to another question: what were the gay pubs in the 60s and 70s? There were far fewer around then (and The Bulldog and Dr Brighton's weren't). The ones I can remember were The Spotted Dog (now The Hope Poles), New Heart and Hand (now closed) and The Rockingham but I'm sure there were others

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Never went there, but looks like the pub has been there for years.
Getting the information from my book, it's better than google :smile:

ill have to get one too;-),
can picture the Star in my minds eye now , flock wallpaper,roast spuds , tons of bling ,
knocker boys , anyone remember the landlords/landladys names,?
it was thiers for years ...

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I like this thread. What was the The Open House called before?
And can anyone tell us why the Horse and Groom on Islingword Road was known locally as The Severed Head?(It's a great story). It's now a community cafe bar called The Village full of Hanover yummy mummies (in the day at least).

yes, someone came in one fine day for a drink,(1970s i think ) not sure how many !, and was in possession of, a severed head ...

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Bear in mind I haven't lived in Brighton since 1978...but does anyone remember The Brunswick Arms at the bottom of Ditchling Road? I used to work there part-time, Al was the landlord back then, tried to spiff it up a bit. What's there now? I also worked at the K&Q and the Richmond Arms across the way. I remember the Country and Western nights (upstairs Thursdays). I assume the Richmond is long since gone, yes? Any info much appreciated...:cheers:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Bear in mind I haven't lived in Brighton since 1978...but does anyone remember The Brunswick Arms at the bottom of Ditchling Road? I used to work there part-time, Al was the landlord back then, tried to spiff it up a bit. What's there now? I also worked at the K&Q and the Richmond Arms across the way. I remember the Country and Western nights (upstairs Thursdays). I assume the Richmond is long since gone, yes? Any info much appreciated...:cheers:

The Richmond became the Pressure point and was a music venue for some time. Then shut down and became a youth hostel and I believe it has recently reopened as a pub again. I must wander up there and check it out.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
If that's the Caroline of Brunswick, it's still there but I think they are trying to fight off a bid from a pub chain at the moment, The K&Q is still going strong, had a bit of a clean up recently, the toilets are not as disgusting as they were but it could still do with a hell of a lot of TLC.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
yes, someone came in one fine day for a drink,(1970s i think ) not sure how many !, and was in possession of, a severed head ...

Correct. It was the head of the landlord, a dodgy geezer who had gone up yo the Smoke for some for some dodgy dealing. The head was left in a bag under a table by a mysterious customer.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Quote Originally Posted by Ken Livingstone Seagull View Post
Bear in mind I haven't lived in Brighton since 1978...but does anyone remember The Brunswick Arms at the bottom of Ditchling Road? I used to work there part-time, Al was the landlord back then, tried to spiff it up a bit. What's there now? I also worked at the K&Q and the Richmond Arms across the way. I remember the Country and Western nights (upstairs Thursdays). I assume the Richmond is long since gone, yes? Any info much appreciated...

The Richmond became the Pressure point and was a music venue for some time. Then shut down and became a youth hostel and I believe it has recently reopened as a pub again. I must wander up there and check it out.

The 'rocking' Richmond. Sprung wooden dance floor upstairs. Saw some great band there and they had some reggae blues dances there that were good fun.

Not so much a pub question, but does anyone remember some of the other 'venues' for the reggae nights, King Tafari etc? I can remember 76a Marine Parade basement and a basement in 2nd Ave as a couple. Both places owned by Hoogie at the time I think.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Correct. It was the head of the landlord, a dodgy geezer who had gone up yo the Smoke for some for some dodgy dealing. The head was left in a bag under a table by a mysterious customer.

was it the Horse and Grooms Landlord ?
if so,amazing that some managers . subsequently. .left their tenure. at the same place , with the takings ? innit ?

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Bottom of Elm Grove on the corner with Islingword Road, what was the Cornerstone is now called the Admiral. Is this a case of a pub simply returning to its original name or was it something else pre Cornerstone?

Also, while we're in that area, further up the hill is the Reservoir but I can't believe that was its original name. Anyone know?

According to this thread, http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?328196-Historic-Brighton-Pubs the Reservoir was called that in the 1850s though i think it was called something else in the 1980s/90s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here