Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He voted for same-sex marriage (a free vote), but has voted with the government on every issue. Or rather, he proudly states he has never voted against the government.

He's voted for...
•*reduction in disability benefits
• the so-called 'Bedroom Tax'
•*reducing lcoal government funding
• reducing police funding
• leaving the EU, despite being a 'Remainer'
• raising the levels of VAT
• increased tuition fees
• ending financial support for 16-19 year-olds in training and further education
• gagging charities from campaigning during elections
• fracking

and against...
• using public money to help the young get into employment
•*a banker's bonus tax
• measures to help reduce tax avoidance
• measures to prevent climate change
• slowing the rise in rail fares
• restricting fees paid by tenants to letting agents

I'm well aware that he's been a very loyal backbencher but people do also vote for MPs because of their work for their constituency. The old Brighton MP Andrew Bowden is a case in point. Well respected across the political spectrum and picked up a lot of support from non-Tories over the years.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
No, what I definitely want in Hove is a Tory who believes she can heal people with prayer and that 'Gays' can be cured.
That's got to be less dangerous than voting for Kyle, whose crime is not liking Corbyn.:rolleyes:

Maybe PK should have run as an independent, but that would almost certainly have seen him lose so...

well i haven't mentioned the tories but ok - she maybe a nutter. And Corbyn/Abbot aint? I guess the point I am trying to make is that our political system has become presidential in many ways - you vote Kyle, you get Corbyn - and however reasonable Kyle maybe, it is irrelevant because he has no power, makes no real difference other than individual constituent problems (possibly) and frankly I would rather have an irrelevant local nutter MP and a government that isnt going to bankrupt us, than a sensible irrelevant local MP and a government run by deluded lunatics

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think Kemptown will stay Tory. Pavilion will see an increased Green majority. Hove, not sure. I'll go for Labour hold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What you can guarantee is that come Friday morning, Brightonians will be producing maps showing it as an island of hip left amongst a sea of nasty, selfish, poor-hating baby-eaters and oh-so-amusingly suggesting, again, that the Peoples' Republic of Brighton should be formed. I can't wait.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think Kemptown will stay Tory. Pavilion will see an increased Green majority. Hove, not sure. I'll go for Labour hold.

Kemp Town is far too close to call.

Bearing in mind much UKIP's 2015 vote came from disaffected Labour and Tory voters, it's not easy to determine where their vote will go - if anywhere. Assuming the same number of people vote as last time, we can fairly safely say almost all Green voters from 2015 will vote Labour. I'd suggest Kirby needs to pick up that UKIP vote in order to return to Westminster - and that's far from guaranteed, especially as he voted Remain.

The incumbent often has the advantage, but this time around Labour has been working hard in Kemptown in ways that they didn't in 2015, where Nancy Platts was let down.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
well i haven't mentioned the tories but ok - she maybe a nutter. And Corbyn/Abbot aint? I guess the point I am trying to make is that our political system has become presidential in many ways - you vote Kyle, you get Corbyn - and however reasonable Kyle maybe, it is irrelevant because he has no power, makes no real difference other than individual constituent problems (possibly) and frankly I would rather have an irrelevant local nutter MP and a government that isnt going to bankrupt us, than a sensible irrelevant local MP and a government run by deluded lunatics

Except that what will happen is that I'll vote Kyle and get May.
Which isn't ideal for me but does rather counter your view that my single vote for Peter is somehow going to mean Corbyn is PM.
I'm not a Labour supporter or a Corbynista but nor do I think that five more years of austerity for me and windfalls for multi-millionaires is a great future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What you can guarantee is that come Friday morning, Brightonians will be producing maps showing it as an island of hip left amongst a sea of nasty, selfish, poor-hating baby-eaters and oh-so-amusingly suggesting, again, that the Peoples' Republic of Brighton should be formed. I can't wait.

You are of course inherently predicting a Tory overall majority in the Commons, going against the media narrative over the last three weeks of a Tory disaster and Labour/Coalition government. We are told that the one million new young voters will give Labour wins in a hundred or more key marginals.

But I reckon the scenario you describe will happen.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

It's tough to imagine why some have the impression that you're a Tory, Boz.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just had a quick look at the bookies.

Caroline Lucas is 1.10 (1/10 in old money) to win. That's buying money isn't it? Can someone explain to me how she could lose...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kemp Town is far too close to call.

Bearing in mind much UKIP's 2015 vote came from disaffected Labour and Tory voters, it's not easy to determine where their vote will go - if anywhere. Assuming the same number of people vote as last time, we can fairly safely say almost all Green voters from 2015 will vote Labour. I'd suggest Kirby needs to pick up that UKIP vote in order to return to Westminster - and that's far from guaranteed, especially as he voted Remain.

The incumbent often has the advantage, but this time around Labour has been working hard in Kemptown in ways that they didn't in 2015, where Nancy Platts was let down.

I personally know people who were part of the Platts campaign. It was a small army working at full pelt, 24-7, for a month. They were shocked when Kirby won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here