• Yes

Votes: 57 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 318 84.8%

• Total voters

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Oh how I rejoiced when the smoking ban came in.
After many years of going to pubs and coming home coughing my guts up and stinking of smoke the next morning, the joy of going to a pub smoke free was just a thing of beauty.
Of course smokers will tell you that the smoking ban was the cause for a lot of pubs closing.

No that was people going to Pubs and finding after many years it wasn't £1.20 a Pint ,then fecking back off to the supermarket.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you read my post earlier you will see i am a smoker, i am not going to get involved in any arguments about smoking bans and pubs, stinking etc but i will say that there is no sadder site than walking past the entrance of a hospital and seeing patients standing outside still in their gowns and nightware still attached to a bloody drip, smoking.
If i ever get into that position i know enough is enough.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I used to nick the occasional fag off my mates when I was 16 or 17 (16 odd years ago) but never bought a pack myself. I do understand how people get addicted to it but I was completely put off by the disgusting taste in my mouth, the smell of anyone who had just smoked, and the ridiculous cost of it.

I have no real problem with people smoking, as long as they don't blow the smoke in my direction. What I do have a problem with is people who throw their cigarette butts on the floor. There seems to be this perception amongst a lot of smokers that it doesn't count as litter. It does, and it's DISGUSTING.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reluctantly I'm an ex-smoker. Still miss it, and still get annoyed by the anti-smoking fascists when they get into full gear.

Don't vape, but shows what a bunch of whingers Anti Smoking Hysteria are, when having banned smoking from everywhere, they then went whining to the authorities about odourless harmless vaping.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Reluctantly I'm an ex-smoker. Still miss it, and still get annoyed by the anti-smoking fascists when they get into full gear.

Don't vape, but shows what a bunch of whingers Anti Smoking Hysteria are, when having banned smoking from everywhere, they then went whining to the authorities about odourless harmless vaping.
Spot on.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Isn't that a subjective answer depending on the situation? There have been many times in my life I have stunk like a tramp but usually I don't.

Ok, I don't stink like a smokey tramp anymore.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Chemicals in e-cigarettes can damage lung tissue, provoking inflammation. That damage can reduce the ability of the lungs to keep out germs and other harmful substances, new studies show.

For starters, research from the UNC Center for Environmental Medicine, Asthma and Lung Biology indicates vaporizing might suppress immune genes, effectively causing smokers greater complications in the body's immune genes than cigarette smoke.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Smoked 20 a day for 25 years. Thought as long as I had a hole in my face I'd be a smoker.

Then went to see dentist for a routine check up. "You've got a lump on the roof of your mouth that we should get checked out". Three weeks of utter sick panic. Sheer relief when told by oral surgeon just a blocked salivary gland. That felt like fate tapping me on the shoulder - that's your warning son.

Stopped the day after and have never touched, craved or wanted another cigarette in 12 years. Don't miss it but I don't get wrapped round the axles by folk having a puff. Plenty other stuff annoys me more.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chemicals in e-cigarettes can damage lung tissue, provoking inflammation. That damage can reduce the ability of the lungs to keep out germs and other harmful substances, new studies show.

For starters, research from the UNC Center for Environmental Medicine, Asthma and Lung Biology indicates vaporizing might suppress immune genes, effectively causing smokers greater complications in the body's immune genes than cigarette smoke.

'Can', not 'does' I notice. 'Might' is also a very significant word in this context! Could even be used more appropriately than 'can', possibly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My last cigarette was at around 11.30pm on Valentine's Day 1988. When I went back an hour later to retrieve my discarded half full packet from the hedge I'd thrown it over some ******* had nicked it. Prior to that I smoked y0 a day and had failed to give up countless times over 20 or more years.
I do wonder about the stats. So many people seem to be vaping these days and I'm kind of waiting for some bad news about their health effects. One of my sons is an ex-heavy smoker with chronic asthma and I'm afraid that I just don't believe the doctor's assurances that the water moisture from vapes is healthy.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
'Can', not 'does' I notice. 'Might' is also a very significant word in this context! Could even be used more appropriately than 'can', possibly.

So if someone tells you that you might die if you jump out of an airplane without a parachute because you might hit the ground or there is the possibility you could land in water and survive you would jump out of the airplane because you might survive?

The thrill of falling for many thousands of feet would be worth it, right?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vape not smoke.

Isnt bad for you

Not bad? Really? Consider this. It took decades (a least) for the dangers of smoking to be properly recognised by the epidemiologist, Richard Doll. After that it took decades before this was generally accepted.

So where is the evidence that vaping, long term, is harmless? It wouldn't surprise me if vapers start showing some strange 'unanticipated' side effect at some point. Even if you know that your vape is nothing but organic strawberries, crushed between the breasts of virgins . . . . where does it say that inhaling vaporized strawberries is harmless? Strawberries are meant to be inserted orally into the digestive system, not vaporized and inhaled.

And where does all that 'smoke' stuff come from? And how is the vaporization achieved? All organic, is it?

Did you know that some plastics used to contain food can release phytoestrogens that, in the right dose, can affect fertility and cause cancer? Has the vape equipment been tested for its long term safety?

I'm not saying vaping will kill you, let alone do any harm long term. But I am certain that the longitudinal epidemiological studies required to 'smake out' a chronic low level but harmful effect have not been done yet. No time yet, see?

For that reason I'm sticking to my tried and trusted organic Tobacco. In moderation, of course :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Give me a smoker over a drinker any day. Alcoholics wreck so much more around than just themselves, I enjoy a smoke I don't drink which is my choice. The self righteous pricks on this board need to take a long hard look at themselves I've even read on here smokers surely can last 90 minutes without a fag yet complain themselves when they can't pour alcohol down their throats fast enough at half time due to one kiosk or whatever being open.

Instead of visiting poor sods with lung problems in hospital why don't you go and visit families who have been wrecked by alcoholism?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Instead of visiting poor sods with lung problems in hospital why don't you go and visit families who have been wrecked by alcoholism?
or Drugs

I'm with you on this one. I have not heard of any A & E staff, Wives and Children being the victims of violence, due to a smoker having a couple to many.

I myself gave up being a very heavy smoker after 58 years when my doctor said I was now at the start of the incurable COPD.

Being informed of this was a wonderful cure for my constipation and a great incentive to stop my lifetime habit.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wouldn't happen in Germany.

You are probably right, my last visit I commented that they still have cigarette machines on the street and in a convenience store the cigarettes were in pole position at the front at a low level rather than behind our armoured shutters if you want to buy some baccy over here and by the way they tend not to wear cycle helmets much .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here