Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He's right though. And I would say he's anything but a whinging metropolitan loser, have a read of Private Eye. He's done more to expose corrupt politicians, bankers and business men than any other journalist currently active and is very willing to go to court to defend the truth , having done so many times. He may be liberal and a bit posh but don't let that prejudice you, he is a massive force for good.

He's only right if you include deliberately misrepresenting our current position as 'continuing to make the case'.

I often read Private Eye but it's creditable history on exposing corruption and malpractice has diddly squat to do with if someone is a a 'whinging metropolitan loser'. After all he was on the same side of the argument as all those institutions and people which the Eye has exposed over the years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He's only right if you include deliberately misrepresenting our current position as 'continuing to make the case'.

I often read Private Eye but it's creditable history on exposing corruption and malpractice has diddly squat to do with if someone is a a 'whinging metropolitan loser'. After all he was on the same side of the argument as all those institutions and people which the Eye has exposed over the years.

I simply can't agree with that and I think the only reason you dismiss him is because you don't like people speaking up against this so called victory for Brexit. The same kind of speaking up against the system that got you your referendum in the first place, albeit indirectly. It should be welcomed, not dismissed. It promotes democracy.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I simply can't agree with that and I think the only reason you dismiss him is because you don't like people speaking up against this so called victory for Brexit. The same kind of speaking up against the system that got you your referendum in the first place. It should be welcomed, not dismissed. It promotes democracy.

I have no problem with people speaking up arguing their case on any matter but just find it amusing (also a bit boring) that arguing the case often seems to mean whining incessantly while misrepresenting the initial fallout. Highlighting, Criticising this practise should be welcomed not conveniently dismissed. It promotes debate and democracy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have no problem with people speaking up arguing their case on any matter but just find it amusing (also a bit boring) that arguing the case often seems to mean whining incessantly while misrepresenting the initial fallout. Highlighting, Criticising this practise should be welcomed not conveniently dismissed. It promotes debate and democracy.

I think we fundamentally disagree on whether the situation is being misrepresented or not. That particular clip from Hislop doesn't sound like whining to me, I think it's making a very important point.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The main issue with that is, who is to determine what is 'highlighting and criticising' and what is 'whining'?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
After all he was on the same side of the argument as all those institutions and people which the Eye has exposed over the years.

And that fact should speak volumes to you.

To be an advocate for something despite being acutely aware of its failings indicates just how much of an error it is leaving altogether.

Unless you are questioning Hislop's integrity?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

To be an advocate for something despite being acutely aware of its failings indicates just how much of an error it is leaving altogether.

Exactly. To make a tenuous comparison, Noticing and pointing out that the roof on your house is leaking and trying to get it fixed is different than wanting to sell the house altogether.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think we fundamentally disagree on whether the situation is being misrepresented or not. That particular clip from Hislop doesn't sound like whining to me, I think it's making a very important point.

'A group of leaders who after lighting the fire all ran away someone else can clear up the mess' isn't grossly misrepresenting the situation then. :facepalm:

Boris didn't 'run away' he was knifed at the last possible moment causing critical damage to his leadership chances. Gove the assassin stayed as did all the other Brexit advocates with one exception, Farage who was never going to be in government anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
'A group of leaders who after lighting the fire all ran away someone else can clear up the mess' isn't grossly misrepresenting the situation then. :facepalm:

Boris didn't 'run away' he was knifed at the last possible moment causing critical damage to his leadership chances. Gove the assassin stayed as did all the other Brexit advocates with one exception, Farage who was never going to be in government anyway.

I think there is truth in that statement. The end result is the key players in the argument for a referendum are all gone. Leaving a mess for others.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Not necessarily, being an advocate for something while being aware of it's failings could also be a sign of poor judgement or inconsistency.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not necessarily, being an advocate for something while being aware of it's failings could also be a sign of poor judgement or inconsistency.

Does that mean that us, as BHA fans have poor judgement or inconsistent? We're all supporters of the club and most of us are aware of its failings, however large or small they are.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Does that mean that us, as BHA fans have poor judgement or inconsistent? We're all supporters of the club and most of us are aware of its failings, however large or small they are.

Comparing our club to the EU is a new one. Corbyn used to loathe the EU now he supports remaining which must strengthen his argument shirley.

Also Hislop seemed to be a bit more Eurosceptic in the past ... (11 mins onwards)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs...exander-armstrong-mark-steel-phil-hammond_fun

When Brexiteers are shown to have made pro EU comments in the past this apparently undermines their credibility now but when the same occurs for remain supporters it's apparently a strength and adds credibility?

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Comparing our club to the EU is a new one.

I'm not comparing our club to the EU, i'm simply claiming that your idea that "being an advocate for something while being aware of it's failings could also be a sign of poor judgement or inconsistency." isn't accurate.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Are you saying he can't be wrong and if anyone criticises an organisation then supports it it must in all cases strengthen their opinion?

No, you said you weren't questioning his integrity, but that he may be suffering from poor judgement or inconsistency.

I just found those particular attributes to be levelled at Hislop a bit strange!

Going slightly off topic what do you make of Noam Chomsky advocating the UK to remain within the EU? Bearing in mind this is a man who has long campaigned for power to be in the hands of the ordinary man and not in political cartels and staunch supporter of democracy?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not comparing our club to the EU, i'm simply claiming that your idea that "being an advocate for something while being aware of it's failings could also be a sign of poor judgement or inconsistency." isn't accurate.

There are no absolutes ... of course it could be a sign of poor judgement or inconsistency. For instance someone might vote for Corbyn despite knowing about his many obvious failings, poor judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here