Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair he has always been respectful of us. I like him apart from his stint at the scum!

He has been incredibly complimentary about a number of Brighton things in the recent past. Away from football he has a very difficult family life with having helped his wife through cancer and having deaf children who he has supported and defended all the way.

Read this:

"Holloway met fellow Bristolian Kim when she was aged 14, and after marrying, he nursed her through lymphatic cancer. The couple have four children: William, twins Eve and Chloe, and Harriet. The twins were born profoundly deaf. Talking about his children, Holloway said: "it's been a fight all the way along to get proper provision for the girls, especially a good education. There's been rows, tribunals, appeals and endless phone calls. We have been labelled as bolshie parents. My view is that every child in the world has the right to be educated properly and whether your eyes or ears don't work is irrelevant. But the system at the moment makes it difficult."

For the last three years of his QPR career, Holloway commuted daily from Bristol to London, a 250-mile round trip, so the children could attend a deaf school in Bristol. As a result, he developed severe sciatica.[36] They then moved to St Albans when the children were of secondary school age, for the same reason. Holloway has learned sign language, and his quirky media-friendly quotes have made him a high-profile campaigner on deaf issues and concerns."

All things considered he seems a better man than most and I like him. Think I'll cut him some slack on this particular non-issue especially as it was immediately after a 3-0 defeat.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
He has been incredibly complimentary about a number of Brighton things in the recent past. Away from football he has a very difficult family life with having helped his wife through cancer and having deaf children who he has supported and defended all the way.

Read this:

"Holloway met fellow Bristolian Kim when she was aged 14, and after marrying, he nursed her through lymphatic cancer. The couple have four children: William, twins Eve and Chloe, and Harriet. The twins were born profoundly deaf. Talking about his children, Holloway said: "it's been a fight all the way along to get proper provision for the girls, especially a good education. There's been rows, tribunals, appeals and endless phone calls. We have been labelled as bolshie parents. My view is that every child in the world has the right to be educated properly and whether your eyes or ears don't work is irrelevant. But the system at the moment makes it difficult."

For the last three years of his QPR career, Holloway commuted daily from Bristol to London, a 250-mile round trip, so the children could attend a deaf school in Bristol. As a result, he developed severe sciatica.[36] They then moved to St Albans when the children were of secondary school age, for the same reason. Holloway has learned sign language, and his quirky media-friendly quotes have made him a high-profile campaigner on deaf issues and concerns."

All things considered he seems a better man than most and I like him. Think I'll cut him some slack on this particular non-issue especially as it was immediately after a 3-0 defeat.

Exactly. I posted earlier that used to chat to him when Rovers manager. He is a thoroughly good bloke. I agree that the respect rant was slightly odd. Maybe he thought that because he has been complimentary about us then he might deserve better, but it did seem prickly to get uptight about a chant from a couple of dozen fans. But don't let that colour the overall view.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I didn't think it was massively respectful when he was patting his bum cheeks and wiggling his arse in the direction of the Albion fans from (the safety of) the TV box at Loftus Road last season, but hey: I guess "respect" only goes one way, right Ian?

I was going to mention the same incident but with a different twist. There was a lot of stick going back and forth (and started by Brighton fans) and he was loving it, so seems odd that this has upset him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was going to mention the same incident but with a different twist. There was a lot of stick going back and forth (and started by Brighton fans) and he was loving it, so seems odd that this has upset him.

Being a bit pissed off and sensitive immediately after a game isn't that odd. I really do think people are making way too much of this.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Being a bit pissed off and sensitive immediately after a game isn't that odd. I really do think people are making way too much of this.

As I guess Holloway was over a few chants ..not that bothered .his team lost ours won that's all that mattered

Its entertaining to watch him on the touch line...mimicking a windmill with his instructions

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not having that.

The one who made too much of it is Holloway and I say that as one, like most on here, who genuinely likes the guy.

Yes, managers are often sensitive immediately after a game, but how many times do you hear them immediately lay into the opposing crowd? I'm struggling to think of any other occasions at all. Ever. For a wily old campaigner like Holloway to do it, particularly, makes it quite a talking point.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
"I didn't mean to beat you in the playoffs".

No, but you did mean to make a complete saga that night out of something you knew was a non-story (possibly even a lie) about the shit in the dressing room to make our club a laughing stock in a national news story.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
dear oh dear oh dear if Mr Holloway can't handle what is a normal chant then he has a problem

Yup, he's gone down in my estimation a bit. As someone said, its panto stuff. Didn't really need to mention it did he? Sounds like he wanted a hero's welcome after so much pundit based compliments. Turned out rather precious hasn't he?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not having that.

The one who made too much of it is Holloway and I say that as one, like most on here, who genuinely likes the guy.

Yes, managers are often sensitive immediately after a game, but how many times do you hear them immediately lay into the opposing crowd? I'm struggling to think of any other occasions at all. Ever. For a wily old campaigner like Holloway to do it, particularly, makes it quite a talking point.

Typical Fergie stuff , deflect from the teams ABJECT performance like Alllardyce did with his Harry the Hornet comments too

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Holloway will either take them down or not.
His family life doesn't come into it.
Most Albion fans have shit happen.
We just get on with it.
I sang get sacked in the morning in East Upper.
All three of us :moo:

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Holloway is an uber ****.

I agree with those unamused by his behaviour at QPR last year. The man should stick to pantomime in Bristol or other smaller west country towns.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not having that.

Fair enough. I must admit I dont have much football interest beyond Brighton so I've no idea what other managers might say but with my limited exposure I agree it's not something I've heard before. That said, surely Jose Mourhino must have blamed the opposing fans at some point? He's blamed everyone and everything else over the years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The 'beat you in the play offs' thing is a little dig from him too. He gets shit cos he's ex palace & a bit of a buffoon - nothing to do with one lucky win.

About time Palace got over the fact they won against us in a freak lottery TBH. I know I'm well over it - and if we go up next year it will possibly have been a blessing. As would last season. We're properly ready now for the first time.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Precious little chap .

bf9d55fabf787c788483197318667af9.gif

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I hope his bleating has been picked up across the division and that all opposition fans chant away at him.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What a ****ing whingeing Wurzel ****. Bollocks to being 'complimentary' about us. The little bald lying arsewipe deserves all he gets over the so called poogate.

Hope he gets sacked and cries all the way home. Palace knob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here