Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you issue a franchise on basis that you are guaranteed income and all the ticket revenue goes to the government what do you expect ?

All they can do is cut costs to increase profit.

The fall out to other operators has begun. Queuing system at Clapham Junction this morning on the overground because of the "dumping" of Southern passengers who now have to change there.

.. at 9:30 :)

The ONLY way to improve the situation is to remove the franchise. Something I actually suspect the operator would be quite happy about.

I personally blame the people who allowed the contract to be set up this way. Any wonder they want to keep out the dispute ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
thats right it is the system and every stakeholder group involved has played a part in getting us to this mess. end of the day there has been a cronic lack of investment in rail goin back decades, 40-50's? i'm not sure it was any better before the war either. no investment, entrenched practices, poor managment, lack of government interest are the problems, i dont know what the answers are.

That's the general malaise of the national network system you're talking about. Other operators are coping and performing far better than Southern.

This isn't a small problem to do with historic under-investment. This is a systemically and ideologically-driven mess deliberately engineered by GTR and the government in order to break the unions. They've said as much. They also believed they'd take the general public with them on this - and they've failed spectacularly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
of course he's grandstanding, also a power grab to get more of the overland network under Mayor control. he's only interested in the metro portion, not the line south of M25.

No surprise that you seem capable of giving a damning negative opinion as opposed to feeble excuses dressed up as benefit of the doubt to someone talking about the rail industry.

That'll be because Sadiq Khan isn't part of the Tory government responsible for this utterly disgraceful farce for which you are a blatant apologist.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The apologists for the Govia and DoT should have a listen - We all knew it, but the competition introduced by privatisation is a sham and the awarding of franchises is, at best, borderline corrupt.

Spot on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Around 50% of Castaway West trains are canceled today, well done SASTA

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My SAUCES tell me that STRIKES may be called on Pride day and the Forest game

Feel very sorry for anyone whose Pride will be ruined by the trains. As for the Forest game, hopefully nobody will be daft enough to rely in any way on the ever-crappy rail 'service'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My SAUCES tell me that STRIKES may be called on Pride day and the Forest game

wonder if they'd cancel Pride if they did strike. what a headline in support of their cause if it happened.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Hasn't that been largely evident all along aside from SASTA's shitness?

True, but it now seems that they've decided that visitors to our city (on one of the busiest days of the year for travel into Brighton, I'd have thought) are to be used as pawns in their attempt to blackmail SASTA into giving them what they want.

Pretty shitty to say the utter least and once again it's the travelling public who stand to lose out, not to mention the loss to the city economy if they do conspire to screw the trains on Pride day even more than SASTA would if left to their own devices.

All that, of course, is before you even get to the chaos if they strike on the day of the Forest game - wonder how Ernest would feel as an Albion fan if his union mates try to make their point by taking money out of the club's coffers and disrupting thousands of his fellow Albion supporters in the process, in addition to the usual daily commuters.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
True, but it now seems that they've decided that visitors to our city (on one of the busiest days of the year for travel into Brighton, I'd have thought) are to be used as pawns in their attempt to blackmail SASTA into giving them what they want.

Pretty shitty to say the utter least and once again it's the travelling public who stand to lose out, not to mention the loss to the city economy if they do conspire to screw the trains on Pride day.

All that, of course, is before you even get to the chaos if they strike on the day of the Forest game - wonder how Ernest would feel as an Albion fan if his union mates try to make their point by taking money out of the club's coffers and disrupting thousands of his fellow Albion supporters in the process.

If you remember rightly the RMT offered to suspend any action if SASTA agreed to stop anymore moves towards DOO whilst talks went on, SASTA refused so point your anger at them

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was looking forward to going to Play Margate to play a load of old arcade machines and wallow in retro gaming. Did it last year and could cope with the 3hr journey. But with all this crap going on, I'm not going on a 6 hour round journey on a Sunday when there is a good chance that one of the two trains in each direction could be cancelled. Way to cost yourself money, SASTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here