Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What are our left back options now?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Rob Hunt in our U21s is an impressive young player. Obviously it'll be Calde/Chicksen for a few weeks until January but both Hunt and Starkey could come in if needed.

BHA96

May 4, 2009
HH
I must of missed what Chicksen has done wrong, always looked okay when I've seen him, maybe a little lightweight but don't see why he's not rated as good enough even for a few games

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I get the feeling Hughton is not keen on Chicksen based on his previous comments. However, he was on the bench for the Burnley match so perhaps he'll be given a shot.

Bit of a left field shout but we could take a punt on Kevin Constant who has recently left Turkish club Trabzonspor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kévin_Constant

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I like Chicksen, but obviously not as good as Bong or Rosenior. I am shocked they didn't bring in a loanee until January

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
This.
Why is everyone so against Chicksen playing left back? He's not that bad, he's nothing on Liam or Gaetan but he'll be fine for a few weeks. We are lucky to have such strength in depth.
Totally agree - yes not as experienced as LH or Bong, although has reay never looked that bad. Quick, good left foot, and looked good in the tackle. At blackpool he played LB, awful day very windy, but played well and got down the wing. Was neat and tidy. Ok blackpool were poor although is he really that poor, what is wrong with him slooting in - if calds is not first in the pecking order.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Totally agree - yes not as experienced as LH or Bong, although has reay never looked that bad. Quick, good left foot, and looked good in the tackle. At blackpool he played LB, awful day very windy, but played well and got down the wing. Was neat and tidy. Ok blackpool were poor although is he really that poor, what is wrong with him slooting in - if calds is not first in the pecking order.

Maybe Chris will pull his boots on again. He wasn't a bad left back himself

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I get the feeling Hughton is not keen on Chicksen based on his previous comments. However, he was on the bench for the Burnley match so perhaps he'll be given a shot.

Bit of a left field shout but we could take a punt on Kevin Constant who has recently left Turkish club Trabzonspor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kévin_Constant

That is a good shout been playing until October so would probably be ready to play now and more experienced than Chicksen. A natural left sided player. Well worth an enquiry but why has he been released by Trabzonspor

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
van La Parra is a left footed winger, maybe if he trains there all week he could slot in there next week.

I thought he was right footed. In the absence of a left footed defender, who is the best on his weaker foot and can defend. Holla?

For the Derby match (we have lost twice before without a proper left back) and Hull suffered (lost the game) because they put a more than adequate right back Odubajo on the left and it did not work. The problem was not Ince but Christie (RB) breaking forward.

Rob Hunt (reserve) is right-footed.

Incidentally, WBA had a right footed left back against West Ham and that did not work very well either. The problem is mainly passing the ball out of defence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I must of missed what Chicksen has done wrong, always looked okay when I've seen him, maybe a little lightweight but don't see why he's not rated as good enough even for a few games
He'll probably do a lot better playing with good players in a good team (i.e. us now) - it's easier to play well in a good set-up rather than trying to shore up a crumbling wreck of a team (us last year). I'd still stick with Calde though - he's just about got the legs for a glorious last few matches, IMHO.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Calderon is without question the first choice with the current injuries, my big concern with him though is the busy Xmas schedule and whether he is physically able to manage that.

Had an interesting conversation with a guy after the game yesterday who rates Goldson in the full back position so this could be an interesting option, I believe he impressed there for Shrewsbury at times last season.

In terms of Chicksen I think he hasn't overly impressed when he's been loaned out and simply isn't in the bosses plans, shame because I thought he would be a good addition when signing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Playing Goldson we have the same problem playing players out of position either Goldson left back or at right back with Bruno playing on the left or possibly jn the middle with him or Dunk dropping into left back. Whichever someone will be playing in an unusual position.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I thought he was right footed. In the absence of a left footed defender, who is the best on his weaker foot and can defend. Holla?

For the Derby match (we have lost twice before without a proper left back) and Hull suffered (lost the game) because they put a more than adequate right back Odubajo on the left and it did not work. The problem was not Ince but Christie (RB) breaking forward.

Rob Hunt (reserve) is right-footed.

Incidentally, WBA had a right footed left back against West Ham and that did not work very well either. The problem is mainly passing the ball out of defence.

Hunt is two footed. Can use his left just as well as his right. Can take a corner or free kick with either foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here