Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Russell

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I can think of 1 reason:-

Hughton wants him - do you need any more reasons?

Does Hughton want him ? or is it just the usual rubbish transfer speculation (how many others have we been linked with for January ?). I will rephrase, why on earth would Hughton want HIM, I suspect he doesn't, but as I said before I could be wrong, just as we all can since nobody actually knows.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Does Hughton want him ? or is it just the usual rubbish transfer speculation (how many others have we been linked with for January ?). I will rephrase, why on earth would Hughton want HIM, I suspect he doesn't, but as I said before I could be wrong, just as we all can since nobody actually knows.

Bozza said we were really close to getting him in the summer, if that's true then why wouldn't he be a Hughton target?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I'd say this was very unlikely, just can't see how he'd improve a top 2 side? Not a bad championship player but never a premier league player so it would seem a very odd choice.

In a nutshell, quick & hard working capable of the odd belter but too often fails to deliver and makes poor decisions.

Don't apply to be his agent, I'm not confident you'd get the job.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Because we have recruited since then. He may have been wanted in the summer, is he wanted / necessary now ?

I'd imagine he was alternative to Pritchard, seeing as we haven't signed anyone in that position I'd guess we still need/want someone to fill that role.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Its not clear if Hughton wants him but IF he does then I won't argue with his choice, he has done OK so far with his player/team selections.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hughton has proved that a solid system with the right players doesn't need any superstars. Even if you say we have got two or three superstars, they all work their bollocks off for the team.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

If CH does want him I trust his judgement. Not done to bad has he so far

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I cannot imagine CH being told to accept a player,although Manu must be a real disappointment to him. With limited funds,it makes no sense.He might be told what can be achieved within the budget and he chooses from the list.I guess he has less control of the development squad recruitment as that has an all together different agenda.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Hughton has proved that a solid system with the right players doesn't need any superstars. Even if you say we have got two or three superstars, they all work their bollocks off for the team.

I agree, but i do actually think we have ourselves a fair few superstars in Stockdale, Dunk, Duffy, Kayal, Knockaert, March and Murray. I'm sure Newcastle would be delighted to have them in their squad.

Erm, actually, they're no-where near good enough for Newcastle. Manu would be the one player Newcastle would benefit from signing. He's the definition of a superstar.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hughes last signed a contract extension with Derby in 2014 and his contract expires in 2018. Near impossible to land him in the approaching window but think there's a good chance of him moving on in the summer to a side in the Premiership for a hefty fee.
Anyone else read access all areas by the secret footballer? I wonder if Hughes is the young player he represented?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not the sort of signing to get people excited, but then that's not Hughton's job.

I seem to recall Russell's previously done quite well when we've played against them, but that's probably me remembering Derby when they looked like smashing this league, two seasons ago. I think of him as a very hard worker, not a prolific scorer as such, but probably quite popular with fans. Is that fair, Derby lurkers?

If it happens, welcome: if not...meh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree, but i do actually think we have ourselves a fair few superstars in Stockdale, Dunk, Duffy, Kayal, Knockaert, March and Murray. I'm sure Newcastle would be delighted to have them in their squad.

Erm, actually, they're no-where near good enough for Newcastle. Manu would be the one player Newcastle would benefit from signing. He's the definition of a superstar.
I had a quick look on a Newcastle forum yesterday and one bloke was insistent their entire bench would all walk into our first team, and he wasn't exactly called out by others. With that in mind, I'm sure no more than one or two of our players would be of interest to mighty Newcastle, champions elect.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Its not clear if Hughton wants him but IF he does then I won't argue with his choice, he has done OK so far with his player/team selections.

If CH does want him I trust his judgement. Not done to bad has he so far

IF Hughton wants him or anybody else I would trust him, I'd even trust him if he wanted either of you.

That wasn't the question or the point, which was DOES he want him ? Nobody knows, just a whole load of social media led January speculation - as usual, and there are people that believe them all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here