Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I didn't.

You did.

Ooo you're like a dog without a bone

B822012079Z.1_20150626175556_000_GGE1GMG9P.3_Content.jpg

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I find it abhorrent, senseless and cannot fathom why anyone could get pleasure out of it.

But I also find myself feeling a sense of hypocrisy about why I should feel particularly outraged when someone posts a picture of a big game hunter and its cull whilst quickly liking a later post of a mate showing of a caught and killed fish ( accepting many might be put back ), or a quick swerve to avoid a road kill animal which rarely registers with me.

Weirder still is the level of anger directed at this individual, when he is just one of hundreds going to Africa, and other places to kill animals. Had he not killed this particular lion I suspect he would be just another satisfied customer of the "holiday" provider and no one would be any the wiser.

That is the nub of this story for me, as despicable as this individual is, he is the fall guy (or should I say victim) of a practice that hundreds probably thousands (from all types of backgrounds) have done exactly the same thing, but with no global Twitter fall out.

Ultimately this individual and his peers are users, it's the suppliers of this practice that deserve the hatred, and the Government in that country that allow this practice to take place legally.

It seems odd this is not the focus of the story, however I guess that would be people from rich western countries telling people in a poor african country what they can do and how they can make a living..........that just won't do though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Weirder still is the level of anger directed at this individual, when he is just one of hundreds going to Africa, and other places to kill animals. Had he not killed this particular lion I suspect he would be just another satisfied customer of the "holiday" provider and no one would be any the wiser.

That is the nub of this story for me, as despicable as this individual is, he is the fall guy (or should I say victim) of a practice that hundreds probably thousands (from all types of backgrounds) have done exactly the same thing, but with no global Twitter fall out.

Ultimately this individual and his peers are users, it's the suppliers of this practice that deserve the hatred, and the Government in that country that allow this practice to take place legally.

It seems odd this is not the focus of the story, however I guess that would be people from rich western countries telling people in a poor african country what they can do and how they can make a living..........that just won't do though.

Spot on
The dentist is clearly an arsewipe,but lets no forget these firms that supply big game safaris are licensed in their particular country to supply this and dentist travellers like this twit pay for license to hunt as well(sometimes 100`s of 1000`s of $ at auction if its a rare specific animal ) all passed legally off in African countries as necessary for conservation.
people should direct their twitter anger at these countries......i very much doubt someone like Mugabe will bow to any pressure and his gov stop granting these lucrative licenses in Zimbabwe though

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Even if he was given the wrong information, I find it hard to feel sorry for his situation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Amazes me the amount of people on here who are wishing painful death and worse on this bloke who killed the lion , yet recoil in horror at the thought of executing someone who has killed a human being, strange.

I think what you are missing in the emotion in these posts. People have been angered by this and are reacting to that. In the cold light of day after giving it some though i suspect that they would soften their stance on this. This is one of the reasons I disagree with capital punishment in other situations.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...he-lion-was-american-zimbabwe-officials-claim

I can't fathom why someone actually enjoys this 'sport', this guy is beyond contempt IMO. WTF? Why? It's 2015 FFS. Stop killing critically endangered species FOR FUN! Jesus Christ, more evidence that nothing will stop the human race from destroying the planet they need to live off! Stupidity. Shameless stupidity. Do everyone a favour Walt and blow your own brains out next time you pick up a gun.:shootself

Well said that man!
But just shooting himself is a bit too easy for me!
Think he should be put into the wilderness and shot with a crossbow, then tracked and hunted and also allowed to suffer in pain for 40 hours, then beheaded and skinned...just like that animal had to endure for no reason what so ever other than some dick thinking that pulling a trigger on a gun against an animal makes him some kind of 'hunter' or **** in my book. These are the people I would only need 5 minutes alone with in an empty room with!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Any 'human' that gets enjoyment out of something like this... Well I can't put into words how someone could consider hunting a creature and 'pulling the trigger' on it's life so to speak, it takes a very deranged person to derive enjoyment from another beings suffering. The guy is absolute scum, you pay a huge sum of money so that you can take a poor animals life who is lured out of it's nature reserve and murdered in cold blood.

I could go on but I'm sure it's been said, this is just sickening.. Hopefully karma catches up with him one day.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Spot on
The dentist is clearly an arsewipe,but lets no forget these firms that supply big game safaris are licensed in their particular country to supply this and dentist travellers like this twit pay for license to hunt as well(sometimes 100`s of 1000`s of $ at auction if its a rare specific animal ) all passed legally off in African countries as necessary for conservation.
people should direct their twitter anger at these countries......i very much doubt someone like Mugabe will bow to any pressure and his gov stop granting these lucrative licenses in Zimbabwe though

I would also add that it is interesting that everyone is so up in arms about this when so much other animal cruelty goes on without such comment. In fact unless we are buying free range etc meat in goes on with our complicit support. I am not supporting this idiot and personally don't understand how hunters can get pleasure out of their 'sport' but at least that lion lived a good life and probably didn't suffer a great deal. The same cannot be said for the factory farmed animals that end up on our plate, the victims of poorly run puppy and kitten farms, the many domestic pets that end up in our pounds waiting to be destroyed or the myriad of other examples of our poor treatment of animals.

I understand that i am not really comparing like with like here but I can't help but think that our reactions to stories like these are somewhat out of kilter with our general acceptance of what happens to animals across the planet

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Spot on

Er .... no .. HE shot the lion and therefore he takes the moral and legal responsibility for doing so. He can't hide behind "I thought it was legal". For starters ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law and secondly, what kind of morality can he have if he thinks it's OK to shoot a lion ( or any living create ) for fun because he happens to have the correct paperwork ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For starters ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law and secondly, what kind of morality can he have if he thinks it's OK to shoot a lion ( or any living create ) for fun because he happens to have the correct paperwork ?

To be fair, the 'ignorance blah blah blah' is irrelevant (African or Indian?) as that is UK law. African governments are partial to a bit of foreign money, hence their acceptance of this kind of tosser. Maybe drive him out to the savannah, let him out with a rifle and half a dozen rounds and a walkie talkie, the support team then withdraw by at least 10 miles. We can then record his heroic deeds by sound, or record his pathetic pleas for help as he is found wanting in a truly hostile environment.

I guess you do not look so cool, when picked up without your weapon, or self respect as you trapse back to the support vehicle having shat yourself.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Er .... no .. HE shot the lion and therefore he takes the moral and legal responsibility for doing so. He can't hide behind "I thought it was legal". For starters ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law and secondly, what kind of morality can he have if he thinks it's OK to shoot a lion ( or any living create ) for fun because he happens to have the correct paperwork ?

Let's be clear, I think this individual is despicable, however what he did was essentially legal in Zimbabwe, subject to some of the technicalities with this case.

The fact is that big game hunting in Africa is a legal pursuit in many African countries and those counties evidently benefit from it, whether it is moral is a philosophical point for us corpulent westerners to debate at our leisure whilst those living in grinding poverty in poor African countries decide how to eke out a living.

I am genuinely not defending it, or the individual, however this issue is not a binary argument about the conduct of Walter Palmer.............it is going on every day, just google hunting holidays.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7329425.stm

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/

Of course, I could piss my pants, stamp my feet and post some cobblers about how much i want to buy the world a coke, but the fact is tomorrow lions not called Cecil will be killed entirely legally by someone rich enough to pay Africans for the pleasure of killing a wild animal.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
One positive. The publicity drawn to this, might, just might, shame those nations involved to stop this practice outright. A large number of people were not aware of this practice, well they are now. If want to go big game hunting, go for it. Man up and use a camera, or if its to complicated then stay at home.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Let's be clear, I think this individual is despicable, however what he did was essentially legal in Zimbabwe, subject to some of the technicalities with this case.

The fact is that big game hunting in Africa is a legal pursuit in many African countries and those counties evidently benefit from it, whether it is moral is a philosophical point for us corpulent westerners to debate at our leisure whilst those living in grinding poverty in poor African countries decide how to eke out a living.

I am genuinely not defending it, or the individual, however this issue is not a binary argument about the conduct of Walter Palmer.............it is going on every day, just google hunting holidays.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7329425.stm

http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/

Of course, I could piss my pants, stamp my feet and post some cobblers about how much i want to buy the world a coke, but the fact is tomorrow lions not called Cecil will be killed entirely legally by someone rich enough to pay Africans for the pleasure of killing a wild animal.

I don't know if you have been following the case but it was in no terms legal as you say. This Lion was tagged in a secure national park and being observed, he was lured out by baiting, shot with an arrow so in no way humane as he took 40 hours to die, they found him, shot him dead, skinned him and cut his head off, after that they tried to destroy the tracking device unsuccessfully or they would have got away with it.

I have no doubt they all knew exactly what they were doing and exactly who this Lion was, that probably added to the thrill for them. The bloke whose living is based on this vile activity for sure must have known as he was the most famous Lion in the Country, so please do not try and make out this Dentist is some sort of fall guy.

The Lions 6 cubs will now also die as a result.

I find your post sad in that you just seem to be saying, " ah well, if it's legal it's ok ", maybe if it is legal ( this one was not as explained ) let's do something to make it illegal.

The only good thing to come out of it is with his life now ruined any other scum with money and a small dick will think twice about doing it themselves

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think what you are missing in the emotion in these posts. People have been angered by this and are reacting to that. In the cold light of day after giving it some though i suspect that they would soften their stance on this. This is one of the reasons I disagree with capital punishment in other situations.
im not missing it , im commenting on it, it amazes me how people werent so emotional over the small kids killed and maimed by the boston bomber and argued against the death sentence for him, yet are wishing a painful death for the bloke who killed the lion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here