Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Here's the winter multi-venue festival that One Inch Badge promised us.

http://www.mutationsfestival.com/artists/

Looks a very tasty start

PERFORMING: Lightning Bolt, Metz, John Talabot, Josh T. Pearson, Om, Chelsea Wolfe, Willis Earl Beal, Jane Weaver, Ought, Natalie Prass, BRNS, Kagoule, Vision Fortune, Blaenavon, All Tvvins, Lowly, Plastic Mermaids, Mount Bank, Chastity, Abi Wade, Sea *******, Blacklisters, Foreign Skin and Nature Channel

Saw Ought last Friday. They were excellent.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Coming up.. Edge Of The Sea, Saturday at Together The People, The June Brides, Joanna Gruesome, The Phantom Band, Sleaford Mods, SLUG, Julia Holter, The Fall.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Who's seeing Deerhoof at Patterns tomorrow?

Quick question RE Patterns. I always didn't get on with that venue (ex-Audio) until I discovered you could stand on the stairs in front of the mixing desk, where the sound is best and you have a guaranteed view of the band - does this remain the case?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Any one else coming along to Edge Of The Sea Festival at the weekend? I think its probably one of the strongest line ups in its seven year history and really looking forward to it. As well as The Wedding Present and Cinerama playing are The Nightingales, The Woodentops, The Fiction Aisle, My Life Story, Haiku Salut, Watoo Watoo, The Jet Age and loads more. And it can rain as much as it likes cos its all inside.
http://www.scopitones.co.uk/at-the-edge-of-the-sea

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Any one else coming along to Edge Of The Sea Festival at the weekend? I think its probably one of the strongest line ups in its seven year history and really looking forward to it. As well as The Wedding Present and Cinerama playing are The Nightingales, The Woodentops, The Fiction Aisle, My Life Story, Haiku Salut, Watoo Watoo, The Jet Age and loads more. And it can rain as much as it likes cos its all inside.
http://www.scopitones.co.uk/at-the-edge-of-the-sea

Ipswich away takes priority for Saturday. Sunday a maybe (depending on post Sat mood and spend).

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ipswich away takes priority for Saturday. Sunday a maybe (depending on post Sat mood and spend).

Sunday is The Nightingales so worth a look. Ipswich away is certainly an attractive alternative though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Deerhoof/ Cowtown was amazing last night. I'd only seen Cowtown once before when they had to battle a malfunctioning PA, I'm now a fully signed up member of the fan club. Catch 'em next time, though they are from Leeds they have connections to B'ton which mean they play here a lot.

Deerhoof were sublime.

The highlight of the night was meeting [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION], though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Deerhoof/ Cowtown was amazing last night. I'd only seen Cowtown once before when they had to battle a malfunctioning PA, I'm now a fully signed up member of the fan club. Catch 'em next time, though they are from Leeds they have connections to B'ton which mean they play here a lot.

Deerhoof were sublime.

The highlight of the night was meeting [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION], though.

And a big shout out to the promoters for not overselling the show as I'm sure they could have done. I was dreading how busy it was going to be.

As for Patterns (those that haven't been yet) it's exactly the same as Audio was. Except a major upgrade on the booze front - no major downgrade on the pricing though.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Deerhoof were sublime.

And a big shout out to the promoters for not overselling the show as I'm sure they could have done. I was dreading how busy it was going to be.

As for Patterns (those that haven't been yet) it's exactly the same as Audio was. Except a major upgrade on the booze front - no major downgrade on the pricing though.

Goddamit now I have to say the highlight of the night was meeting you! :) Well it wasn't! It was Deerhoof as they were everything I'd hoped for and so much more.

It was of course good to meet you too James :) Funny that we have a few friends in common too. I've never seen a Friendo t-shirt anywhere else in Brighton so to be in the the company of three of us that own one obviously sets us apart from the rest of the human race. Or something.

I really enjoyed Cowtown too. I was just shifting through the Resident vinyls to see if I could find something of theirs.

As for Patterns, it's my first time too. I like the fact they've moved the sounddesk so there's more room, and the added Kings IPA is welcome - 5.6% on a school night is a bit pokey though!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Goddamit now I have to say the highlight of the night was meeting you! :) Well it wasn't! It was Deerhoof as they were everything I'd hoped for and so much more.

It was of course good to meet you too James :) Funny that we have a few friends in common too. I've never seen a Friendo t-shirt anywhere else in Brighton so to be in the the company of three of us that own one obviously sets us apart from the rest of the human race. Or something.

I really enjoyed Cowtown too. I was just shifting through the Resident vinyls to see if I could find something of theirs.

As for Patterns, it's my first time too. I like the fact they've moved the sounddesk so there's more room, and the added Kings IPA is welcome - 5.6% on a school night is a bit pokey though!

I genuinely thought I'd imagined the sound desk move. Good idea that. Back there for Michael Mayer on Saturday, which I am drooling in anticipation of.

I thought it was hilarious that you two were both wearing T-Shirts that I owned. I'll have to dig my Friendo one out, I really like it.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Who's seeing Deerhoof at Patterns tomorrow?

Quick question RE Patterns. I always didn't get on with that venue (ex-Audio) until I discovered you could stand on the stairs in front of the mixing desk, where the sound is best and you have a guaranteed view of the band - does this remain the case?

Bloody great it were. I stalk Cowtown a bit so I was elated at the pairing.

Don't suppose either of you got any decent photos of Deerhoof I could use?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not sure if anyone else made it to Edge Of The Sea at the weekend but a hugely enjoyable two days of mostly excellent live music and entertainment. Highlights were Cinerama whose sets were if anything more enjoyable than The Wedding Present on this occasion. Fiction Aisle and The Nightingales also very good. Best of the smaller bands were in my opinion Witching Waves complete with female drummer doing vocals which is always a winner. The Woodentops were pretty awful to be honest and a large amount of the crowd disappeared in search of something to eat at this point. My Life Story went down better but not my type of music. 'Too much showmanship and not enough guitar' as was heard in the loos afertwards. Dream Themes are a band who play thrash versions of TV themes and they were pretty entertaining as were The Donald's with lead singer Eddie Argos playing versions of songs by The Donnas. The Wedding Present themselves were as always on top form and with over 250 songs in their repertoire there will always be something rare or new to enjoy. David Gedge is certainly one of the best songwriters ever. Only 51 weeks to wait till it all happens again!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wonder if anyone can help me out....

I'm looking for a venue (doesn't have to be a gig space but must have good acoustics and be hireable) which isn't going to break the bank to hire, within 10-15 minutes of Brighton Station. A church or quiet space would be ideal.

Capacity between 50 & 100 so smaller than Prince Albert, Joker and Komedia Studio if at all possible.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here