We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The DUP, in their own words.

CDhIB1tWAAItQq-.jpg

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
You have to laugh at labour voters - defending Corbyn to the hill over his proven terrorist sympathy but now the tories are talking about a coalition with the DUP - Outcry! Delusional hypocrites

Erm think you are missing the point love. We are outlining the irony of it... how Corbyn was vilified as a terrorist sympathiser and yet the tories are likely to cosy up to the DUP.

For the record i would not class Corbyn as a terrorist sympathiser.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Possibly / probably so. But that's just conjecture whereas what DC and TM have done is fact.
No, what Corbyn did is also fact. He clung on to power, despite the vast majority of his elected party wanting him gone. He put his interests ahead of what the elected Labour MPs wanted.

Although this election is a major **** up by May, the fact is that the party she's lead has still won the most votes and seats. Labour have done better than expected, but lets not lose sight of the fact they still got a lot less votes than the Tories.

The election was also a disaster for the SNP, but they still have the most votes and seats in Scotland, so are we expecting Sturgeon to resign?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I can't see the Tories holding together under May for very long despite the self-preservation incentive. They made this a Brexit mandate election and didn't get one. Any rowing back will open up the huge fissures in the party and pee off all the Brexiteer voters who did vote for them.

The only solution I can see is a lame duck PM conducting damage limitation until new candidates are ready to challenge. New Leader in place distancing him/herself as far as possible from May's shambolic campaign calls an election. Spells out a clear decisive type of Brexit, reverses manifesto decisions adversely effecting pensioners throws money at the core support and the poor. All to be done before the end of September when Germany have their elections (when the real Brexit negotiating can begin). Simple .. what could possibly go wrong.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fabricant fabricating on 5Live, Tories rallying round and insisting she is still the best choice to lead us through Brexit... Comedy Gold.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So how long can a DUP-propped-up coalition of chaos last?

It's a shambles.

By the time of the next vote (whenever that may be) Tory support will be shot to bits for their getting into bed with the DUP. Meanwhile a resurgent progressive vote will be buoyed by the inroads they made this election, more younger voters reaching voting age and more traditional Tory voting older voters dying off.

If the referendum issue in Scotland drops off the agenda then those new Tory seats up there will be sure to go as soon as the opportunity arises. Suddenly all that doom-mongering that Britain would be stuck with the Tories for decades has completely gone and it's actually quite difficult to see where they'd next get a genuine majority.

Its been a long time since this country had a bit of hope in the tank. Turns out we're not done yet

Bizarre that some people can see more long term just how humungous a result this could be for Labour. Tories went to the polls and called an early election with the plan being to DECIMATE Labour. It backfired SPECTACULARLY. If Corbyn can perform like that with 99% of the press and a lot of his own party against him...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm just struggling to understand why we all need to stay out of Downing Street so Jez and the lads can complete their lap of honour.

Within our constitution, the Labour Party is entitled to offer themselves as a minority government, doesn't mean it can work, or should be accepted, but it did happen in '74 when Heath refused a deal with the DUP. So there is historic precedent. It has seemingly raised your ire that they've even suggested it, but the constitutional precedent is there.

You cannot dismiss what has happened in this election, or that Westminster can simply return to business as if nothing happened. Our democracy isn't simply first passed the post. As Ken Clarke said last night, perhaps the public need a new politics of cross party cooperation, that parliament needs to encourage the identification of more common ground, so that the country can still be run effectively without a majority. To do this you have to accept 2nd place has a say.

I for one cannot see anything other than a Tory government, but it is a government that has to concede its policies need to be re-evaluated, that a 40% vote share for Labour is a considerable backing to their manifesto, and that their own offer was not supported or embraced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fabricant fabricating on 5Live, Tories rallying round and insisting she is still the best choice to lead us through Brexit... Comedy Gold.

It's not though, is it?

Absolutely any party in this position would be doing exactly the same thing. At this stage, so soon after the event, you don't air your dirty linen in public. That time will come, it's just not now.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

She isn't best place to lead us naughtily through a field of wheat, let alone the Brexit process.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Well again, I need to disagree. It is still funny because many Labour supporters seem to be championing some sort of success this morning. Again: he lost by a long way to a dreadful PM who ran an atrocious campaign with a godawful manifesto and the markets have him less likely to be the next PM than Boris Johnson.

Let's say that again: bumbling buffoon Boris Johnson is more likely to be the next PM than Jeremy Corbyn.

Yay - way to go Jezza - you slayed 'em good and proper!

The media have been against him and most of this party has been against him. When the election campaign started they were 20 points behind. All considered, Corbyn has done fantastically well to win so many Tory seats. We could be looking a another election when you'd fancy Labour to do much better given the circumstances.

I think you need a hug Bozza.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She isn't best place to lead us naughtily through a field of wheat, let alone the Brexit process.
Whom do you think should lead us now?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No, what Corbyn did is also fact. He clung on to power, despite the vast majority of his elected party wanting him gone. He put his interests ahead of what the elected Labour MPs wanted.

Although this election is a major **** up by May, the fact is that the party she's lead has still won the most votes and seats. Labour have done better than expected, but lets not lose sight of the fact they still got a lot less votes than the Tories.

The election was also a disaster for the SNP, but they still have the most votes and seats in Scotland, so are we expecting Sturgeon to resign?
Corbyn has never been PM. I was talking about the actions of the PM who is supposed to act in the best interests of the country.

Successive PMs have done the opposite and blatantly attempted political posturing in an attempt to save their own skin/improve their position and failed, miserably.

I'm no big fan of Corbyn, as I've mentioned many times, but he's got nothing to do with this point.

Yeah I do think Sturgeon should resign as her mandate for a (stupid, dangerous and unnecessary) second referendum has been smashed. I'm also very pleased that Salmond lost his seat as he's an odious, egotistical windbag.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Surely there is going to be at least 2 or 3 pro - single market tory 'b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s' who'll make things very difficult for May now ? ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Within our constitution, the Labour Party is entitled to offer themselves as a minority government, doesn't mean it can work, or should be accepted, but it did happen in '74 when Heath refused a deal with the DUP. So there is historic precedent. It has seemingly raised your ire that they've even suggested it, but the constitutional precedent is there.

You cannot dismiss what has happened in this election, or that Westminster can simply return to business as if nothing happened. Our democracy isn't simply first passed the post. As Ken Clarke said last night, perhaps the public need a new politics of cross party cooperation, that parliament needs to encourage the identification of more common ground, so that the country can still be run effectively without a majority. To do this you have to accept 2nd place has a say.

I for one cannot see anything other than a Tory government, but it is a government that has to concede its policies need to be re-evaluated, that a 40% vote share for Labour is a considerable backing to their manifesto, and that their own offer was not supported or embraced.

Can't disagree with any of that, other than your assertion that I have ire. I don't. It's befuddlement due to the simple maths involved (I get it that numbers are confusing to some on the left) and your 1974 example illustrates why: Heath had 297 seats, and Corbyn has 261. That's a world of difference. I can't construct anything like a workable government from a starting point of those 261 seats.

(I think you mean the Liberal Party in 1974, not the DUP.)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
whoops........ should you have flicked back to the previous page.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The media have been against him and most of this party has been against him. When the election campaign started they were 20 points behind. All considered, Corbyn has done fantastically well to win so many Tory seats. We could be looking a another election when you'd fancy Labour to do much better given the circumstances.

I think you need a hug Bozza.

Why? I'm delighted that May has got what she deserved, in a far bigger dose than anyone could really have hoped for.

It doesn't mean I can't point and laugh at some of the antics of the left though. Sorry for not conforming to the blinkered one party view of so many.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Corbyn has never been PM. I was talking about the actions of the PM who is supposed to act in the best interests of the country.
The only difference between the leader of the opposition and the PM is who wins on the day. Corbyn stood to be PM and has been even more selfish in clinging to power than May may be.

Successive PMs have done the opposite and blatantly attempted political posturing in an attempt to save their own skin/improve their position and failed, miserably.

I'm no big fan of Corbyn, as I've mentioned many times, but he's got nothing to do with this point.
I disagree, as your point was about how self-centred politicians (you said PM) could be. There was a time in the night when Corbyn was favourite to be our next PM. Dave and May are not the only self-centred politicians, and won't be the only self-centred PMs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here