Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed. But one little thought niggles at the back of my mind - if anyone was planning to vote BNP, would they actually come out and say so on NSC? We know the polls over the years have been distorted by the presence of 'shy tories'. If people are shy about voting Tory, how much more likely are there to be some 'shy BNP' voters around.

I know a couple of Tories that spout BNP views, though voting BNP is a different total

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Labour supporters totally ignore the fact that on their last watch, the economy was left f*cked.

It was left f*cked due to the global financial crisis. Gordon Brown has been highly praised for how well he dealt with it and our economy would have been much worse if he hadn't done so well.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It was left f*cked due to the global financial crisis. Gordon Brown has been highly praised for how well he dealt with it and our economy would have been much worse if he hadn't done so well.

Additionally, I understand people's fears about the Shadow Chancellor, who is as far left a candidate for this position as I can remember. I genuinely have no idea as to how much influence an individual has to pursue their own agenda (e.g. Theresa May seems to portray herself as the only one making the decisions in her party, whilst Jeremy Corbyn seems to have to accept the views of his party and get on with it (e.g. Trident) - I'm sure people will disagree about which approach is "better"). However, it's interesting that 129 economists (yes, I know economists never agree and often get things wrong) feel strongly enough to support Labour's proposals - you would expect professors of eminent universities to know a little bit about their subject. I'm not saying this demonstrates any kind of proof, but I do think that any notion of "cloud cuckoo land" economics from Labour is pretty wide of the mark. Either that, or the Conservative alternative is even less compelling.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the plaudits were for lead on international reaction (which was Darling anyway), not for how he left our national economics. he left us with an increasing deficit before the crisis, and programme for increasing the scope of the welfare state, £30bn a year real terms increase to that budget.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That's another classic Labour line. IT WASN'T OUR FAULT!

When the Tories have to make unpopular cuts, its because they are making the rich richer blah blah blah (obviously ignoring the fact that the lowest tax thresholds have nearly doubled under a conversative government), yet when its on Labour's watch.... it wasn't our fault. Daring little snowflakes aren't they?

Gordon Brown was highly praised? Was he, by who, Tony "Working class" Blair or his mum?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

When the Tories have to make unpopular cuts, its because they are making the rich richer blah blah blah (obviously ignoring the fact that the lowest tax thresholds have nearly doubled under a conversative government), yet when its on Labour's watch.... it wasn't our fault. Daring little snowflakes aren't they?

Gordon Brown was highly praised? Was he, by who, Tony "Working class" Blair or his mum?

Who was at fault of the crash in 2008 then? The Labour Party?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
If you don't want the terrorists to win - you have to vote Conservative.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. ****ing Hell. I assume you got that from George Bush in 2005? OR Trump last year?
If you don't vote for them then you are automatically a traitor.

Says a lot for our education system.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You know it was a global financial crash though right? That the budget deficit in 2007 was lower than the Tories had it in all but 4 years out of 18 '79 to '97, and half what they had it '92 to '95. UK debt in 2007 was also lower than when the Tories left power a decade earlier.

And in answer to your question, Paul Krugman Nobel Prize winner for economics for one.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Unpopular cuts? How about they bring back the £13trillon in offshore accounts

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You know it was a global financial crash though right? That the budget deficit in 2007 was lower than the Tories had it in all but 4 years out of 18 '79 to '97, and half what they had it '92 to '95. UK debt in 2007 was also lower than when the Tories left power a decade earlier.

And in answer to your question, Paul Krugman Nobel Prize winner for economics for one.

So if Brown was the Messiah,does that mean Obama was shoite?:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Larus, do you see where you went wrong there?

Whilst you posted a very valid point about tax thresholds almost doubling under Tories, and austerity in those countries listed, as well as mentioning a very valid point on tradesman, the mistake you made is making a comment about left wingers, whilst probably true in a lot of cases, it gives the lefties a reason to ignore your valid points, and just pick up on what one comment.

Off course had you not done that, your post would be ignored, as the lefties don't like hearing about tax thresholds going up, because it doesn't fit in with their "tories for the rich" twaddle. Just remember lefties will ignore the facts when it doesn't suit, them and make them up when it does.

Ignoring the fact perhaps that it was a Lib Dem coalition agreement policy to raise the tax thresholds, raising the income tax threshold was not in the Tory 2010 manifesto or a policy of theirs. The very first thing they did was raise VAT to 20% and cut the higher rate of income tax and cut corporation tax.

That isn't to say raising income tax thresholds isn't a good thing, which of course it is.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Who was at fault of the crash in 2008 then? The Labour Party?

In a big way they were. Brown's watchword was 'Prudence' yet he let bank lending get completely out of control - he even gave Fred Goodwin a knighthood. He was lazy and scared of doing anything that would affect his poll ratings - and stopping all those cheap loans was a certain way of doing that. OK, the financial crisis was worldwide, but we could have done more about it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
YouGov out suggesting Tories missing majority by 21

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ougov-survey-labour-theresa-may-a7773106.html

Rainbow coalition with Bungle steering the ship

I think everyone realises that anything other that increasing her number of seats, she has failed. She called the election she was never going to call to increase her mandate, so anything less than the status quo is a defeat against the reason for calling the election.

She would be weakened by this, her policies shown to be less popular than her predecessor, and a greater desire of the country to see more centre / centre-left policies from their government. The fall out from this election should be a realisation to both parties that the British public would like a Labour party less left and a Tory party less right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By a lot of people as I remember. In fact, pretty nearly everyone except a few divs who seemed to have trouble with words like 'international' and 'banking', let alone more difficult phrases like 'sub-prime'.
I'm sure some of them, if you'd told them that Freddy Mac and Fanny May were dangerous Labour party activists from Barnsley, they'd have taken that as proof positive the whole crisis was engineered by Labour!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Highly praised around the world for is reaction to the crisis, implementing a model which many counties who were similarly affected copied (because it was worldwide) .

But there were also plaudits at the way he and his Chancellor Alistair Darling handled the crisis, recapitalising the banks, agreeing an economic stimulus package that was copied worldwide. His G20 summit in London was widely praised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8673608.stm

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I think everyone realises that anything other that increasing her number of seats, she has failed. She called the election she was never going to call to increase her mandate, so anything less than the status quo is a defeat against the reason for calling the election.

She would be weakened by this, her policies shown to be less popular than her predecessor, and a greater desire of the country to see more centre / centre-left policies from their government. The fall out from this election should be a realisation to both parties that the British public would like a Labour party less left and a Tory party less right.

I don't think that's totally true, in polling, labour policies have picked up a huge majority as being favourable. I think this manifesto with a different front bench would do it. I winder if labour doing "well" in the context of where they were/where they are now will see more backbenchers on board and a reshuffle in the near future. Deffo think you're right abouty May though, either way, the fallout of this election for both parties will be intertesting to watch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The other factor is that by calling the election she's ruled out 2 months of the 24 available to negotiate a deal with the EU. Getting that deal in 2 years was always going to be tight at best; losing 2 months makes it virtually impossible, and it's also given the EU something of a head start over us. So even if she wins this election it could come back to haunt her personally in 2019. I could see the Tory movers and shakers let her take all of the sh1t over not getting a deal, then replace her mid-term once the die has been cast with us having to switch to WTO rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here