Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Quite. Bong didn't make an issue of it, so I assume no contact was made, although it was clearly attempted. I still believe no retrospective action will be taken.

He can be seen holding his nuts, directly after the incident, so I assume contact was made.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Neither you nor anyone else can say that with any conviction or certainty
Lol yes we bloody well can. I am 100% convinced with TOTAL conviction AND certainty, that that match wouldn't have been called off.

And so is every other sane member of NSC who has read this thread so far.

You need medical help.
This. Of course it wouldn't have been called off. If someone as daft and stubborn as you at Palace had just flipped and refused to give out a ticket and your mate at the FA had pushed it as far as it could go, can you imagine the police saying 'don't worry, we'll deal with the fallout that's going to occur here when thousands of fans hear what's happened', and the ref calling the game off? You've got no common sense BG. The game would have gone ahead and whoever made the decision at Palace would later get told off (punishment unknown, maybe they'd have to go to dinner with you).

As a former referee, this is one reason why the game has trouble recruiting referees, particularly the young. Not enough support and backing from the county FAs.
Well that's easy to believe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just watched the incident and thought "petulant nonsense". That's a free kick all day long obviously but you want a retrospective ban for that? Jesus Christ.

Whether he actually gets a ban - I don't really care - it has no effect on our season.

But if Hemed's (questionable intent) deserves a ban, this 100% does too, or the rules are nonsensical.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just watched the incident and thought "petulant nonsense". That's a free kick all day long obviously but you want a retrospective ban for that? Jesus Christ.
It's much like Hemed's suggested stamp. That 'stamp' didn't cause any damage, it wasn't dangerous, it was (if it had been intended) petulant.

The ban is to discourage players doing it again. Lukaku shouldn't be kicking out off the ball like that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
According to the Mail, Duffy should have got a straight red but was given a yellow. No further action can be taken now.
When that happened I was praying the ref would yellow card him because play had carried on and it wasn't clear if he would. He would have got a retro ban if he hadn't have be carded.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's much like Hemed's suggested stamp. That 'stamp' didn't cause any damage, it wasn't dangerous, it was (if it had been intended) petulant.

The ban is to discourage players doing it again. Lukaku shouldn't be kicking out off the ball like that.

I don't think it's anything like Hemed's stamp, that one was all about whether there was intent or not. This one is an off the ball kick (two actually). It is 100% a red card all day long. In which case there should be a retrospective ban. Not that it makes any difference whatsever to us now, so I can't see why anybody really cares.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whether he actually gets a ban - I don't really care - it has no effect on our season.

But if Hemed's (questionable intent) deserves a ban, this 100% does too, or the rules are nonsensical.

The main difference I can see is one of circumstance. Hemed's incident was deemed snide and avoidable by the powers that be, Lukaku's was petulant but clearly in the heat of the moment.

For what it's worth, I thought a 3 game ban for Hemed was absurd although I'd have had no complaints for a one game ban. The real issue is a lack of consistency. If they are not clear why bans are being dished out, we are going to get in the daft situation with this as we are with the "you can't raise your hand" thing where players were getting sent off for reacting by pushing an opponent's head despite having his leg nearly broken moments before.

But rewinding this, I fear for the game a bit when this sort of witch-hunt takes hold. Had the officials done their jobs properly, it would have been a free kick, no goal, and no NSC thread 150 posts in length. Are we sure we don't want some sort of cricket style TMO review system in place? Would have worked a TREAT here. No goal, no petty retrospective ban, just the implementation of some common sense.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Neither you nor anyone else can say that with any conviction or certainty as that is not what the secretary of Surrey told Palace that made them find me a seat. As I have said nobody knows if he would have carried out his threat but knowing how much he loathed the Palace hierarchy I am sure he would have done his utmost.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm afraid everybody knows, BG.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we sure we don't want some sort of cricket style TMO review system in place?
No, I'm sure we do want it. Manager gets a review per half or something, get told Bong was fouled, asks for a review, no goal, free-kick.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But rewinding this, I fear for the game a bit when this sort of witch-hunt takes hold. Had the officials done their jobs properly, it would have been a free kick, no goal, and no NSC thread 150 posts in length. Are we sure we don't want some sort of cricket style TMO review system in place? Would have worked a TREAT here. No goal, no petty retrospective ban, just the implementation of some common sense.

I don't really understand your thinking at all.
You are advocating the use of a video review which would have seen him (rightly) sent off at the time? He would have received the same 3 match ban, too. Why is that ban only deemed 'petty' because it is retrospective?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He could have been a barrister you know.

To be fair he does have a talent for arguing a point in the face of all overwhelming evidence without ever considering admitting defeat, so it might not have been the worst career choice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He could have been a barrister you know.

It is what my mother wanted me to do. I didnt even consider it as a possibility while at school. I only got interested in the law profession as I got older and regret that I didnt take my mrthers advice but most teenagers know better than their elders.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Lineker on why it wasn't on Match of the Day on Saturday night.

"We didn’t see it at the time. We had 5 games to watch at 3pm. Wasn’t mentioned by a single Sunday newspaper. Only came to light after a few Brighton fans mentions on Twitter late on Saturday night. Certainly was not a decision to not show it. ��"

Daily Mail have gone to town on it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ed-news-Lukaku-miss-Manchester-derby-ban.html

The coverage and quality of journalism is seriously poor for the smaller teams in this country. It's not even a difficult spot. The foreign TV channels picked it up straight away and had it as a discussion point. That BBC article doesn't even mention it occurred just before the shot came in for the goal, so the goal should have been disallowed. It's something I've noticed all season - the foreign channels' pundits are far more knowledgeable of domestic league teams, players and what has happened during matches.

The MOTD pundits get paid a fortune but are woeful. They clearly don't spend much time at all watching football outside of the big clubs. I don't understand - if that was my job I'd try to be the best I could at it and know about all the Premier League teams and all the talking points, and watch as many games as I could so that I would have a good knowledge of the whole league. The foreign channels manage this better than the domestic ones, because the reporters and pundits are not ex players who are there simply because of who they are, but probably because they have earned it. Alan Shearer gets paid 500k and he knows f all. Linekar gets paid 2.5m IIRC. But the pair of them are clueless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think it's anything like Hemed's stamp, that one was all about whether there was intent or not. This one is an off the ball kick (two actually). It is 100% a red card all day long. In which case there should be a retrospective ban. Not that it makes any difference whatsever to us now, so I can't see why anybody really cares.

People care because it should be the same rules for the big clubs as it is for us. Lack of consistency by match officials is very poor for the game but you might understand why they might have missed this but the evidence is there so it needs to be considered by the FA.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is what my mother wanted me to do. I didnt even consider it as a possibility while at school. I only got interested in the law profession as I got older and regret that I didnt take my mrthers advice
I think it's as well you didn't.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry to continue the BG sub-plot to this thread but I've had another thought on this.

How many people out there on any given day possess this FA pass where they could turn up unannounced and demand a seat on the grounds of FA impartial observer?
In the cricket world the ECB recognise the UK as 38 counties [no idea about the FA but likely to be similar] - lets just say [for arguments sake] that each county has 5 members who hold this special pass. Thus a theoretical 200 seats MUST be available in the unlikely event that ALL these people turned up to the same game [unlikely, I know, but bear with me] - there must have been occasions this season where finding 200 seats at the Amex that were confirmed unsold 30 mins before kick off would not be possible.

Not saying there was enough empty seats - there would have been several no-shows I'm sure. My point is, that to avoid the possibility of having the game called off, every club must set aside a number of unsold seats, just in case.

Another question BG - did this happen in the era of pre all-seater stadiums? Seats were few and far between so was the arrangement to find you a viewing point, e.g. on the terracing, or must it have been a seat?

I can't believe, in all the years, we've not had a sell-out game called off 5 mins before kick-off because of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here