Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Tories will be forced to live at the HOP for as long as this coalition of chaos lasts, no holidays or 'fact finding' trips when the house sits, no second jobs or anything that means they won't be near the HOP in case a snap vote is called by the opposition.

I wonder how long this will last ?

As will the opposition. Perhaps no bad thing.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Tories will be forced to live at the HOP for as long as this coalition of chaos lasts, no holidays or 'fact finding' trips when the house sits, no second jobs or anything that means they won't be near the HOP in case a snap vote is called by the opposition.

I wonder how long this will last ?

May had to drop things today and fly back from Germany. Brokenshire had to tear away from important business in Belfast to vote too.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Of course it isn't, running a country is fraught with difficulties. As an electorate, what you are asking yourself is who would make less of a balls up. It's all very well people posting articles from 2001, or 1976, but of course Labour were never a perfect government, neither have the Tories ever been. All we can ask is who would make less of a mess of things?

At the moment, I don't get why our tax revenue is one of the lowest in Europe at just 34% of our GDP when our services are crying out for investment. I don't buy this whole lower tax rates brings in more revenue, in the short term it can boast the economy, but nothing other than short term, and our extremely low tax rates in comparison to Europe still only brings in 34% of our GDP. So economics of low tax = more revenue just doesn't stack up. It is a falsehood that too many believe.

As the world gets smaller, multinational corporations get bigger and more powerful, governments have to stand strong over tax. If we go down a continued path of undercutting tax rates to make one country more attractive than another, then we condemn ourselves to perpetual bankruptcy because economies will always crash. We have to stop undercutting our corporate and higher tax rates, and maintain a comparable tax strategy to similar sized economies. Cutting CT to below 19% is obscene given the cuts and in comparison to other countries tax rates. It is time for a change of thinking because it is an unsustainable economic model at present.

Absolutely spot on. We need lower rates for small companies (not lower than 20% though) and higher rates for those making bigger profits.

As it used to be. As makes sense. It's not complicated if you look at it impartially and without a political agenda or ideology.

Instead all we've had recently are new taxes for middle earners (the "simplification" of dividend taxation, yeah right), increased red tape / additional unnecessary reporting (we were promised the opposite) for small businesses, the utterly pointless and massively costly auto enrollment fiasco etc etc.

This is not the party of business, unless you're Mike Ashley et al. They talk the talk and then do the opposite but people still believe them because "Labour no good with money Tories good". :ffsparr:

I'm not convinced by Corbyn but I'm even less convinced by the economic ineptitude of the current bunch of cretins we have in charge of things.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, so compassionate they voted for their own pay rise of 10% in 2015, but vote for a continued public sector pay cap now. All in it together with a compassionate government. The pay cap impacting on ordinary nurses, teachers, police and fireman greeted with rousing cheers from the Tory benches. So out of touch it is untrue.

They didn't have much choice on the public sector pay cap. A defeat on that so early on would have put them in a terrible position and they all knew it.
What I will never understand is why they felt it was a good idea to cheer the result. They had the choice to go for the resigned 'it was not an easy decision - we know how hard it is but tough choices need to be made' look. But no. Cheers. Really NOT a good look that. Totally self inflicted damage.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The Queen's Speech in all its unadulterated glory is passed. We have a government with a legislative program set out for the next two years, and all is well.

I realise you're on a wind up but that's actually pretty offensive considering that all is not well at all for millions of people in this country and is only set to get a lot worse.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm actually ashamed to live in a country with so many effing idiots.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

May I politely suggest then, that you 'do one' and buzz off to another country, where your wit and wisdom will be more appreciated.
They tell me LA-LA Land is nice and money trees grow there too.:)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I realise you're on a wind up but that's actually pretty offensive considering that all is not well at all for millions of people in this country and is only set to get a lot worse.

For heaven's sake, LlcoolJ, keep your cool and your faux outrage under control.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
May I politely suggest then, that you 'do one' and buzz off to another country, where your wit and wisdom will be more appreciated.
Politely suggest what you want, I ain't going anywhere [emoji112] [emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
See previous answer it's political positioning/ point scoring. The Tories will lift the pay freeze in the autumn but won't be doing it at the behest of the opposition for obvious political reasons.

Rightly so it's been done to death .. if a Tory leader held a similarlily indefensible position we know Labour would be outraged as would you no doubt.

Indefensible position? To not want a nuclear holocaust? ???

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Having worked for the NHS for the last 22 years there have been many ups and downs but for the last 18 months I am experiencing first hand the real consequences of austerity. Rushed hospital discharges, services running at full limit, increasing staff shortages, staff at breaking point. I predict that the NHS , as we know it , has only a few years left. When it goes people will only then realise what we have lost.
The utter contempt that the current government seem to have for public services is something that soon will impact upon all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Having worked for the NHS for the last 22 years there have been many ups and downs but for the last 18 months I am experiencing first hand the real consequences of austerity. Rushed hospital discharges, services running at full limit, increasing staff shortages, staff at breaking point. I predict that the NHS , as we know it , has only a few years left. When it goes people will only then realise what we have lost.
The utter contempt that the current government seem to have for public services is something that soon will impact upon all of us.

Honest question, from the outside. Do you feel this is totally finance related, is there any link to the theory of demand from people living longer and significantly increased population? There is no agenda, I am genuinely interested.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
b467d518fa41b0a614945c1ede4a5d44.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Honest question, from the outside. Do you feel this is totally finance related, is there any link to the theory of demand from people living longer and significantly increased population? There is no agenda, I am genuinely interested.

You've just explained why the NHS needs more money not less.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

I think increasing demand is undoubtedly a factor. There is also a case to be made about all of our responsibilities to our health. My wife is a nurse in A& E and there is a lot of time taken up with alcohol related issues.
There is also increasing expectations of the public - all new medicines and treatments need to be researched etc which all costs .
But
All A&E DEPTS are running at max.
I work with adults with complex physical disabilities- budgets to help families with vital respite care have been slashed. Vital day services are closing - leaving families dangerously isolated.
Instead of providing the therapeutic care I was trained for I spend a lot of my time trying to source funding etc and picking up the pieces from rushed and unplanned hospital discharges.

My frustration is that NHS is constantly likened by politicians to a business - but this is just absurd. The NHS will always cost money but this is an investment for all of us. My very real fear is that the service is being deliberately run into the ground to set it up to be sold off piece by piece.

I am not suggesting simply throwing money at it (no mention of money trees please) but by pointing out the obvious that the NHS costs money is allowing the government to avoid the difficult questions we all have to face. I always hear about talk of not frightening big businesses by increasing taxes but I can't help but smile at the irony of my wife and her colleagues having to deal with any member of the super wealthy set who has had the misfortune of suffering a medical emergency- there are no private A& E depts..........yet

We are at a cross road where we have to decide what we want.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think increasing demand is undoubtedly a factor. There is also a case to be made about all of our responsibilities to our health. My wife is a nurse in A& E and there is a lot of time taken up with alcohol related issues.
There is also increasing expectations of the public - all new medicines and treatments need to be researched etc which all costs .
But
All A&E DEPTS are running at max.
I work with adults with complex physical disabilities- budgets to help families with vital respite care have been slashed. Vital day services are closing - leaving families dangerously isolated.
Instead of providing the therapeutic care I was trained for I spend a lot of my time trying to source funding etc and picking up the pieces from rushed and unplanned hospital discharges.

My frustration is that NHS is constantly likened by politicians to a business - but this is just absurd. The NHS will always cost money but this is an investment for all of us. My very real fear is that the service is being deliberately run into the ground to set it up to be sold off piece by piece.

I am not suggesting simply throwing money at it (no mention of money trees please) but by pointing out the obvious that the NHS costs money is allowing the government to avoid the difficult questions we all have to face. I always hear about talk of not frightening big businesses by increasing taxes but I can't help but smile at the irony of my wife and her colleagues having to deal with any member of the super wealthy set who has had the misfortune of suffering a medical emergency- there are no private A& E depts..........yet

We are at a cross road where we have to decide what we want.

Great response, thanks

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You've just explained why the NHS needs more money not less.

I asked a question. Has any Govt. kept up with the ever increasing demand?

I get the feeling that, whoever is in power, we might be at a 'straw that broke the camel's back stage. When the original NHS was set up, and brilliant as it was, this number could not have been foreseen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here